PDA

View Full Version : South Lake

Stay^Bent_524
11-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Gonna take a trip with my buddy to fish south lake Sat. n Sunday. Gonna try n get some of those late fall lunkers ive seen there before. We are gonna stay in Bishop since campsites are closed up. Any one know if there is a sport bar or somewhere that will be showing the Fight this weekend?

ill post up how we did on monday

have a nice weekend..

Sierra_Smitty
11-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Gonna take a trip with my buddy to fish south lake Sat. n Sunday. Gonna try n get some of those late fall lunkers ive seen there before. We are gonna stay in Bishop since campsites are closed up. Any one know if there is a sport bar or somewhere that will be showing the Fight this weekend?

ill post up how we did on monday

have a nice weekend..

Ya might call Rusty's to see if they're going to have it....if not, maybe Whiskey Creek or the Bowling Alley. Good luck....and please post a report, I'm curious how my home lake is fishing right now since I've been gone for a few weeks.

kelly k
11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Stay^Bent_524,

I was up there two weeks ago, not a soul in sight, beatiful day but cold. Are you going to fish by boat? I fished near the launch ramp and dam from shore for the big skunk. I was only using jigs and lures,no bait. Be safe out there.

BTW Montebello use to be my home town, back in the day.

Kelly K

P.S. Just read the date of your post, sorry this is late.

deanhall32
11-16-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm going up there this Saturday for about 3 days. Aren't the lakes closed for fishing and the only places open are the Owens river and PVR?

Sierra_Smitty
11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm going up there this Saturday for about 3 days. Aren't the lakes closed for fishing and the only places open are the Owens river and PVR?

Yup...yesterday (the 15th) was the last day for the general trout season. The Owens and PVR are pretty much it now....but both are awesome so that's a good thing.

deanhall32
11-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Smitty. I will be on a solo trip walking up and down the owens. Never been to PVR but I plan on finding it and hiking in. Any advice?

Sierra_Smitty
11-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks Smitty. I will be on a solo trip walking up and down the owens. Never been to PVR but I plan on finding it and hiking in. Any advice?

I love PVR...always done well there. Easiest access if off Pleasant Valley Dam rd...I've done very well fishing right from the dam. Many folks believe the best spots are more easily accessed from the inlet side of the lake....last right before Sherwin Grade is how to get there. The usual stuff works great, powerworms, jigs, lures, bait etc. etc.

The Owens has been a jerk to me the past two winters...crushed it in 06 though.

Good luck.

deanhall32
11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Sorry for the thread jack StayBent.

One more question- is the last right before Sherwin Grade a dirt road all the way to PVR?

Thanks Smitty and I will see you at the Del Mar Fred Hall show again??

STEVE IN SOCAL
11-16-2009, 02:44 PM
It's paved...go to where it T's, then right. I was there a few weeks ago and the water was real low. Very weedy near the shore. Maybe better to go to the dam side if you don't have a bicycle...less walking to get past the weeds. We caught a 4lb Alpers at the dam last time. We let it go, too...maybe still there?

deanhall32
11-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info on the road and the fishing. I notice you are also a San Diego FNNer. Very rare!!

Stay^Bent_524
11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Whats up guys,
We ended up hitting South Lake on Sat. (Not a person seen all day) I couldnt even get all the way up to the lake in the car due to the fresh snow covering the road up. Made the the loooong hike all the way to the back of the lake all the way around the end to one of our favorite spots. the back portion of the lake is pretty frozen maybe 3inches? water level is a bit high compared to out last trips round this time. Fishing was super slow. Fish didnt want anything to do with the jig until the afternoon. My buddy got a couple on the crawler but maybe 6 fish between the two of us all day. seems like the fish are already in there lethargic mode under the ice? very slow fishing. since we made the loong hike we stayed there all day till dark. saw a lot of big cat tracks, but we were prepared for any of that.
Went back to bishop, ate and went to sleep even though we wanted to catch the fight, just exhausted from the hike and cold.
On Sunday we decided to hit PVR and got there around 6:30 via back road by electrical plant. fished past the end of the tree line for some pretty decent fishing maybe 30 trout between me and my buddy on inflated crawler and sum jig fish nothing of great size and all were released. in the afternoon wanted to try the owens (the portion that feeds right into PVR and noticed some big trout trying to jump this concrete water fall? (not sure the technical term)
but it was pretty cool to see thos BIG trought trying to jump and get up stream. Anyhow that portion of the owens is pretty inaccessible due to the tall brushes. ended up going back to where the electricle plant is and PVR starts. It was dark, but me and buddy managed two small browns on white/pink lip rippers before we called it a trip. Got back to bishop and went to Jacks for a warm dinner before our drive back.
I think we got to South lake a little to late for that crazy fall bite that usually occurs before the snow gets there but theres always next season. We didnt take to many picture but will upload them asap. mostly scenery shots.

Have a Good one,
P.S.
SMITTY, Me and my buddy were discussing doing dome back country hikes, where can we get a cpy of you're book?

Stay^Bent_524
11-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey Kelly,
I grew up in the City of Downey, Ca but moved here not to long ago. its ok but nothing out of this world.

STEVE IN SOCAL
11-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info on the road and the fishing. I notice you are also a San Diego FNNer. Very rare!!

Mostly Fallbrook, but try and get to my place in Independence as much as I can. I'd move to Indy, but the wife wouldn't go for it.

TOXIC OPIE
11-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Mostly Fallbrook, but try and get to my place in Independence as much as I can. I'd move to Indy, but the wife wouldn't go for it.

thats too bad my wife got a job with the BLM in Bishop last month and i will be following her in a year or so, but ive been going up there almost every weekend