PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on float tubing Long Beach harbor?

hella356
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I've never tubed in salt water but I since live in LB I figure I should give the harbor area a try. Any thoughts on times/locations/lures? I'm mainly a LMB & trout fisherman so I'm planning on using my normal freshwater gear if I can. I go barbless, catch & release, btw.

Thanks!

bones
11-14-2009, 06:37 PM
If it is going to be your first time out in the salt on your tube I would just drive to Newport. It's much fishier than LB harbor right now. Use maps.google.com to zoom in on newport. Click the satelight tab and you will see a ton of structure to fish in the harbor. Good places to launch can be found in the backbay by the launch ramp, off of the beaches on balboa peninsula or off of balboa island just to name a few. If you are a hardcore LMB fisherman you will get addicted to newport real fast. Too many baits to mention but just look through the harbor,bay and surf section and do a search on the board for "newport" as a key word. You will see alot of reports where the guys mention their baits and techniques.I usually dropshot around all of the docks and other structure. Keep a good eye on the tides. Water movement is the key to that place. It puts the critters on the chew. You can use the incomming tide and outgoing tide to your advantage as far as kicking in a certain direction but always remember that your desire is to kick back to your original launch spot and that can be extremely hard against the tidal current. Plan accordingly and you wont regret your decision. Also try posting up in the rendezvous section.....Some newport guys might be willing to meet up with you and show you the ropes.
Good luck and STICK SOME SPOTTIES FOR ME!!!!