PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Bay

prokni
07-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Guys

I am new to salt water fishing(I have been doing fresh water for some time though) and I don't know anybody down here that is into the fishing.

To be more specific, I would like to know about the logistics of starting very light fishing even for couple hours in evenings, either in Bay or maybe even shore? Anybody can advise where to start?
If this is too generic then I can ask more specific questions.
I have fishing license. I don't have a salt water Rod yet so looking for some advice in what to get, what tackles and where to fish.

I live in Irvine and maybe 3-4 miles aways from Newport Bay.

Starting point:
what Rod to get as a beginner for fishing in Bay?up to 20lbs? or less?

Thanks for your help
P

Brad100
07-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey - a medium weight freshwater bass rod will do fine... Check with the local tackle shops and on this site for different locations and baits... scented plastics seem to work well. Good luck. I wish I lived that close to NPH... it's usually 90 minute drive for me (& that's without alot of traffic on the 91!!).

mg2969
07-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I use el cheapo generic brand Bass Combo from a Sale at Sports Authority (with mini tackle box) and a Shakespeare combo from K-Mart. Each was like $30 and came spooled and ready to go. Both are low profile baitcasters and are pretty light weight. I like them for Huntington Harbor and Los Alamitos Bay because with the small fish it feels like a monster.

If your gonna go for Bass (Spotted Bay or Barred Sand) you can't go wrong with the 1/4 oz jig head and a nice chartreuuse grub

spiceguy
07-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah, just get on down here with your freshwater gear & start tossing out a 3 or 4 inch white or light green curlytail grub for starters. Toss it out & let it hit bottom. Then vary your retrieve, keeping it close to the bottom. Pretty simple really. Good luck. :)

adambasser
07-06-2007, 01:29 PM
I always use my freshwater gear with medium action rods rated from 6-12 lb line for my spinning set up with 8 pound line. And my baitcaster i use medium 8-15lb rods with 10 pound line. My spinning gear i use 1/4 ounce heads with 3" big hammer swimbaits or 3-5" kalin grubs, or AA 3 inch grubs. Dark colors during low tide and more translucent colors during high tide when the water is clearer. On my baitcaster i throw 1/4 ounce to 3/8 lead heads with 4 inch big hammer swimbaits. Just very your retrieve, but be ready to set the hook on the fall because many bass will bite when it is falling towards them. Good luck, and remember the fishing is just like freshwater bass fishing just watch your thumbs!