PDA

View Full Version : Kid's Lagoon / Veteran's Day

dabigfish
11-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Kid's had the day off today so decided to take them to Irvine for trout! Been awhile due a compound fracture to right wrist. (Skateboarding, ok I'm 44 but when you have kids....)

Got to the lake about 8:30am, kids lagoon was packed all the way around! Didnt want to crowd anyone so drove around to the big lake...wow packed! Back to Lagoon, set up in the SE corner and got first line in at around 9am. No sooner than my 4y.o. gets in he gets hit. stayed very consistent until 10:30am or so. We were using nightcrawlers, threaded and blown, shaken in garlic powder. Kids were having a blast!

A dad and his kids moved pretty close to us on our right and were having no luck. So I gave them some Garlic powder and nightcrawlers and they started getting hit! Not as frequently due to line wt. I think he had 6+ lb line, but his kids at least started smiling! Nothing makes you feel worse than when your kids are catching and the kids next to you arent and just watching. Then a nice family moved closer to us from the side of the lake. (Very close!) and asked what we were using...they were using nightcrawlers but didnt have a bite all morning, so I gave them some garlic powder. Their 3 kids got 5 fish in the next 1/2 hour. Was very close quarters but at least they were all about the kids! So our row did pretty well out there, but bite really died after 10:30am. Met some great people today and kids had tons of fun!

Total:10 trout 1 decent cat
Good times!

I'll end this report with a huge THANK YOU to all Veteran's and active military.

sansou
11-11-2009, 09:32 PM
"Nothing makes you feel worse than when your kids are catching and the kids next to you arent and just watching."

Roger that, and kudos on being a good guy and putting the other kids on fish. Sportsmanship in action right there.

Sounds like overall you guys did well and had a good time. Nice job.

CatchthatTrout
11-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Way to represent FNN/Team 57.
It's about the kids and FUN!

KUDOS!

2jackedLUNGS
11-13-2009, 09:00 PM
nice report, good looking out for the kids.

bman90278
11-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Glad to hear you all had fun. Just wondering if there is a web site for the Kid's Lagoon? I've been wanting to take my 4 yr old there but I wanted more info such as hours and pricing.

Thanks,
brian

Angler Dan
11-14-2009, 10:35 AM
The hours are the same as the big lake. Price is on the web site for kids (I want to say $11 each, but not sure). You can pay and fish either the lake and/or lagoon. You are not committed to one of the other. So if you want to move back and forth, you can. Only difference is you have to have a kid to fish the lagoon and there is only one pole per person in the lagoon, unlike two per person on the big lake.

bman90278
11-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info Angler Dan. That's nice that you can fish either lake.

brian

dabigfish
11-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey Bman, Also limit is 3 per person in the Lagoon. Website says this also, however the security guard that was patrolling told the the family next to us that the adult limit still would be 5 no matter what lake. Also there ia a max. of one adult per child. The fee of $11.00 per child (age 4+) is correct, although couple times they didnt charge me for my 4 y.o. (So I didnt include him in the limits) It sure helps when I take 3 kids and my dad!

BTW, the SE corner was actually pretty good, just stay on the South side and throw out only about 20-25 feet. I've also had luck right where the drive way down to the lagoon drops. I noticed the waterfall side seemed to produce more cats. (?) Just my observation while I was out there. People can chime in if its different for them.

Good luck!

Angler Dan
11-14-2009, 07:25 PM
I think you actually get two adults per child.

rocknreel20
11-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Picked fish at very spot there, just have to be patient.
Be sure to use Light line, 2lb at least for leader. Have helped many families because they were using heavier line.
It is 2 adults for every kid as stated above.
I am shocked every time I go and see adults with NO kids fishing here. They know absolutley they aren't supposed to be there. No eye contact, and working very fast until security comes to toss them out. Also, guys usually start showing up in the afternoon if it's been slow on the big pond, I saw a guy fishing the lagoon on Vets day, pulls up and casts a bubble dragging over everybody's lines. He did this for half and hour, glad he didn't catch, his kid was at least 16, over the age allowed for fishing the pond the kid didn'teven get out of the car for half hour, he didn't even fish.
Guys also drive around over and over looking for people catching fish then crowd in between any space they can get in. Most of the time it isn't about any kids with them but themselves bringing them in.
Set up on a spot, use the right tackle, put any power bait on and be patient, the trout circle the lake and will visit your area.