PDA

View Full Version : New equipment...

Ffejrobins30
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
So I cracked down today and picked up a new rod/reel.

http://www.pinnaclefishing.com/platinum-plus.html

I picked up the good old stand-by with a med. action Ugly-Stik. I put on 12 lb. Berkley Vanish Flouro.

It's a pretty inexpensive setup, but I hope to start putting it to good use this weekend.

calico killer kevin
11-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Sharp looking reel, but there are a few other reels in that price category that are a bit better quality and backed up with a better warranty.

Check out the Daiwa Megaforce.

fish
11-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Sharp looking reel, but there are a few other reels in that price category that are a bit better quality and backed up with a better warranty.

Check out the Daiwa Megaforce.

I co-sign this statement

bsp
11-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Avoid Berkley Vanish and all their lines too. The only exception is Big Game for 25lb and up. P-Line and Izorline for non-fluoro, Seaguar for affordable fluoro (except Red Label), and Toray and Sunline for the expensive stuff. The cheapest, decent fluoro will run around $15 or $17 a spool. Anything under is going to have uneven breaking strength and be a pain to cast. I used Vanish for a long time, but stopped after it kept "vanishing" when I had a big fish on.

I agree with CKC that there are other reels you should check out too. Generally it's the best bet to stick with Shimano or Daiwa for reels. The cheaper Quantams, Okumas, and Abu Revos aren't bad either for their price range, but anything over $100 stick to Shimano, Daiwa, or Abu Garcia. Avoid Bass Pro reels at all cost too.

tenderloin
11-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Congrats on your new rod, reel and line. Enjoy

Fire Ball
11-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Avoid Berkley Vanish and all their lines too. The only exception is Big Game for 25lb and up. P-Line and Izorline for non-fluoro, Seaguar for affordable fluoro (except Red Label), and Toray and Sunline for the expensive stuff. The cheapest, decent fluoro will run around $15 or $17 a spool. Anything under is going to have uneven breaking strength and be a pain to cast. I used Vanish for a long time, but stopped after it kept "vanishing" when I had a big fish on.

I agree with CKC that there are other reels you should check out too. Generally it's the best bet to stick with Shimano or Daiwa for reels. The cheaper Quantams, Okumas, and Abu Revos aren't bad either for their price range, but anything over $100 stick to Shimano, Daiwa, or Abu Garcia. Avoid Bass Pro reels at all cost too.

I have 6 lb Vanish spooled on one of my reels and then 6 lb Seaguar spooled on the other and I thought Vanish was good, until I tried Seaguar!! The Vanish that I had was pretty strong, but the Seaguar proves to me much stronger and a lot softer, so less memory and longer casts. For only a little more money, you can buy Seaguar instead of Vanish. Definitely worth it.

GeordyBass
11-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Pinnacle is an ok reel. As said, stick to shimano, daiwa, or Abus.... Also, add Triplefish Fluorocarbon to the line list.... $7 aint bad and it is awesome line! CKC, I hate the Megaforce....lol.... I bought one, worked well for 2 trips.... then it started squeeking really badly and the drag failed too. I then got a replacement from bps and same thing.... decided to return it but couldn't find reciept.... david from cust service didn't wanna give me my money back or even a trade because I used it.... I was ticked, cussed him out then came back the next week and luckily there was a nice chick who gave me store credit and got my Carrot...lol... avoid david.... }:-p

sansou
11-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Congrats on your new rod, reel and line. Enjoy

I wholeheartedly agree.

....but the teenagers on this thread don't think you're "cool". :ROFL:

Fire Ball
11-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Pinnacle is an ok reel. As said, stick to shimano, daiwa, or Abus.... Also, add Triplefish Fluorocarbon to the line list.... $7 aint bad and it is awesome line! CKC, I hate the Megaforce....lol.... I bought one, worked well for 2 trips.... then it started squeeking really badly and the drag failed too. I then got a replacement from bps and same thing.... decided to return it but couldn't find reciept.... david from cust service didn't wanna give me my money back or even a trade because I used it.... I was ticked, cussed him out then came back the next week and luckily there was a nice chick who gave me store credit and got my Carrot...lol... avoid david.... }:-p

Lol, my brother bought a Daiwa Megaforce yesterday! I have either heard really good things about it or really bad things about it, lol. Some of them break real fast and some last a long time. I think it depends on the one you get. :LOL:

calico killer kevin
11-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I like my Megaforce, although it hass been replaced. Good reel for the $35 I spent on it.

I wholeheartedly agree.

....but the teenagers on this thread don't think you're "cool". :ROFL:
To be cool, you gotta have Boca Orange Seals and reels other than Avets.:Envious: