PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Nice Reds and More 11/7/09

Jackpot Jimmy
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
We rolled off the dock at 6am with about 14 anglers, and headed over to the bait receiver. We picked up some medium to large sized sardines for bait from the New Sunbeam, and headed down towards Rocky Point. Our crew consisted of Captain Steven Konrady, Derrick in the galley, and Morgon and John on deck. We put the trolling rods out, and almost immediately, we had a hookup. Unfortunately, they were the smaller grade bonito, but fun nonetheless. We had a steady pick for a decent amount of time, and then we headed on down the coast.

At the next spot, we had a nice pick on some rockfish and more bonito, and there was also one nice bass caught. The current was horrendous at this spot, and you needed a decent amount of weight to get to the bottom. We soon moved on, out deep to try a few drifts. My choice for a set up was an 8 oz. diamond jig with a shrimp fly teaser. We started off the drift catching midgets, but we eventually drifted over good bottom that had some nice quality reds and grouper on it. On the second drift of the same spot, I tried the regular double dropper loop, with no success, as others continued to catch nice rockfish. I went back to the jig on the next drop, and was rewarded with two nice reds – one on the diamond jig, and one on the shrimp fly. I also got a double on the grouper. The bite eventually petered out, and we moved on further north.

We bounced around and picked away at some more rockfish. Then, Steven moved on to another spot, where we got some nice jumbo sculpin, as well as some nice whitefish. By this time, everybody was pretty tired, but we tried one more spot, and the guys got some more nice quality rockfish. Rockfishing was really good, and I hope it continues. More big reds, chuckleheads, and maybe some lings would be really nice. Jackpot went to Tradition regular Chak Chie with a nice big red. Great times, great fishing!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-31.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-29.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/004-26.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/005-34.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/006-24.jpg

fishking
11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice report Jimmy.. Wish I could have joined you guys for the day.. I did get to do a little trout fishing on saturday to kill some time... See you guys next week!!

Bill Mo
Redlands YaK

hbomb
11-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Nice, looks like some very good quality rockfish jimmy, thanks for the great report as always jimmy.....ohhh yeah esta grande carlos LOL..:Cool:

lingcod sierra
11-09-2009, 11:17 AM
nice report jimmy c.u. wensday

lingcod sierra
11-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Nice, looks like some very good quality rockfish jimmy, thanks for the great report as always jimmy.....ohhh yeah esta grande carlos LOL..:Cool:

ha.ha thanks hariel te seguimos esperando:???:

cappo
11-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh man its rockfish season. Time to buy some heavy sinkers and jax jigs. Looks like a fun trip Jimmy.

cappo yak

Ricky-Ray
11-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Nice going JJ. Time to break out the 10-16oz sinkers.....

victor101
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Nice looking Rockfish Jimmy... Thanks for the update...

101Yak

murrieta angler
11-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Hey Jimmy, nice report and pics. Funny you mentioned the diamond jigs, I just purchased some this past weekend for a venture on the 20th.
Thanks again for the report. T/C Robert

JapanRon
11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi JackpotJimmy,

Nice job on the fishys as usual. Is this going to be a trend for the Tradition until Rockfish season ends 12/31? I'm doing a survey of moo-moos and their daily on-line / actually getting-out ratio !!! OOOOOUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHH Huh?!

Know of a deckhand that uses diamond jigs instead of a torpedo weight.

Await your next installment,

JapanRon

Jackpot Jimmy
11-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice report Jimmy.. Wish I could have joined you guys for the day.. I did get to do a little trout fishing on saturday to kill some time... See you guys next week!!

Bill Mo
Redlands YaK

That's good Bill. Break out the Jax Jigs and Diamond Jigs!

Thanks Hariel!

nice report jimmy c.u. wensday

Gracias Carlos. Hasta manana y Saturday, tambien.

Oh man its rockfish season. Time to buy some heavy sinkers and jax jigs. Looks like a fun trip Jimmy.

cappo yak

Thanks Juan!

Nice going JJ. Time to break out the 10-16oz sinkers.....

Thanks Ray!

Nice looking Rockfish Jimmy... Thanks for the update...

101Yak

Thanks Vic! Looking forward to seeing you back out here soon... how's Vegas?

Poacher Yak

Hey Jimmy, nice report and pics. Funny you mentioned the diamond jigs, I just purchased some this past weekend for a venture on the 20th.
Thanks again for the report. T/C Robert

Thanks Robert!

Hi JackpotJimmy,

Nice job on the fishys as usual. Is this going to be a trend for the Tradition until Rockfish season ends 12/31? I'm doing a survey of moo-moos and their daily on-line / actually getting-out ratio !!! OOOOOUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHH Huh?!

Know of a deckhand that uses diamond jigs instead of a torpedo weight.

Await your next installment,

JapanRon

Hopefully the 2 for 1 special will bring more folks out on the Tradition midweek. Thanks for reading Ron!