PDA

View Full Version : Ocenaside to San Onofre

murrieta angler
11-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Started out at the jetty in Oceanside for not even a nibble in 2 hours so decided to do a little recon.

I drove up the 5 and got off at Las Pulgas ( I think that's the name ) Got to a gate and it said you needed permission to enter, on the weekends only, for camping and surf fishing. Just as I was gonna get back on the freeway a truck pulls up with 2 Marines and they asked if I wanted to get in...:Smile:
How could I refuse, it must have been my new high & tight haircut I got yesterday. They said that I should have a pass but they would look the other way this time. So I thanked them and proceeded in.
Really nice place and only about a dozen campers there. I first decided to check out a couple of hills with my 4x4 to get a birds eye view of the beach. It was all pretty flat with no structure sticking out anywhere. So I drove back down and asked a couple, having breakfast, how the fishing was? They said they were getting some small perch with sandcrabs and that was about it. So I thanked them for the info and headed off down the beach back towards Oceanside.
I was using a couple differant LC 100's and after about 30 minutes I get bit real hard. I let the drag off a bit and was working it towards the shore when I feel a head shake and the fish was gone...:Sad: OH WELL!! At least I know there is some action there.
I kept throwing and retrieving and about 15 minutes later I get hooked up again. I start to real it in and after a few minutes I see it's a halibut. I start getting all excited reeling it in and backing up to the shore when, SPLASH!!!! I fell over in the surf....:Embarrassed: I get up as quick as I could and the fish is still on. It is about 2 feet away, so I get my phone out...:Shocked: OH CRAP~!! MY PHONE!! I now have to go to Verizon tomorrow to get a new one. I get the fish out of the water and it's maybe 14". I toss it back, happy that I got my skunk off, and proceeded to fish for about another hour.

I pack up and head to San Onofre for my last stop and a bite to eat. Got to the gate and was shocked when the kid said it was $15 to get in to a state beach. I didn't know it was that much now. I woulda brought my old fire fighters badge and hope for a comp...Oh Well. I get to entrance #4 and proceed down the cliffs to the beach.
Upon getting down to the beach there are 2 guys right there fishing with some 9' rods. I ask em how the fishing was going and they both said terrible. They had only caught 1 dink perch in about 5 hours using mussel. I asked for some info and they point me north to some rock formation. It is about noon and it's high tide so I start to cast in front of it, per the guys instructions, I guess I was there about an hour with nothing but salad to show for it. Oh by the way, there are a bunch of rocks about pea size to basketball size in the surf and it was killing my feet. The big ones would actually roll with the tide and smash your feet...:Angry: I proceeded to walk about 2 miles North for no love. I head back up to the road, get back to my truck and head back to Oceanside jetty.
I took a little nap on the beach for about an hour and around 2:30 tried the jetty again for no fish.

Sorry no pics. Hope you all had a good weekend... T/C Robert

Wingnut
11-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Bummer about the cell phone... :Neutral:
Yeah, I fished San Onofre with my buddy Anthony a little while back. I had my wader boots on and he only had sandals. Those stones beat the crap out of his feet... ouch! You should give that place another try. Lots of quality fish to be caught there. :Wink: Thanks for the nice report. :Cool:

Bradakas
11-09-2009, 12:05 AM
thanks for the report. yeah, I've taken a large rock on the top of the foot when the tide surged at san-o...OUCH!

HelloBendo420
11-09-2009, 12:09 AM
way to be persistent man. at least you got the skunk off.
i did the same thing sunday, drove up and down oc coastline looking for a place to surf fish for the first time ever. tried bolsa and then newport coast but wasn't as fortunate as you were. i was shocked when the parking dude said it was $15 for parking, like i was at a paylake.
thanks for the report man

murrieta angler
11-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Bummer about the cell phone... :Neutral:
Yeah, I fished San Onofre with my buddy Anthony a little while back. I had my wader boots on and he only had sandals. Those stones beat the crap out of his feet... ouch! You should give that place another try. Lots of quality fish to be caught there. :Wink: Thanks for the nice report. :Cool:

Oh, I will try again and I will wear my wading boots also. I think I will wait for low tide though as to avoid the rocks even better..:Smile:

murrieta angler
11-09-2009, 08:08 AM
thanks for the report. yeah, I've taken a large rock on the top of the foot when the tide surged at san-o...OUCH!

Yeah my feet were a little sore this morning...:Smile:

murrieta angler
11-09-2009, 08:09 AM
way to be persistent man. at least you got the skunk off.
i did the same thing sunday, drove up and down oc coastline looking for a place to surf fish for the first time ever. tried bolsa and then newport coast but wasn't as fortunate as you were. i was shocked when the parking dude said it was $15 for parking, like i was at a paylake.
thanks for the report man

If you ever want to fish with someone let me know. Work is slowing down for me and I will be hitting up the beaches quite a bit here real soon...:Smile: