PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Lake Trout Opener Nov. 6 th & 7 th

Troutman65
11-07-2009, 09:57 PM
First thing I want to say is Never go tent camping without a Air Mattress to sleep on !!!!

I was toying with the Idea to fish the trout Opener for a week before the day and last min. Wed. Night about 8 PM ish decided to go with a buddy I grew up with . He wanted to go like at 4 AM on Thursday and I said that would be to late and why not camp for a few days. So we agreed to camp and started packing all the camping /fishing gear. I went to the store and got food & drink . We had my truck loaded and ready to go and got to the lake parking lot 1AM ish. I was thinking that we would be up closer to the front of the line at this time. Wrong. We were in the 5 th line at 1 AM. :Shocked: Oh Well, thats how the Mop Flops. Saw Mitz Timster, & Tom. Really nice to see the guys out there in the parking lot. They do such a great job.
I hate sleeping in my truck so make a long story short I did not get to sleep that night. One great thing about the lines at Irvine lake is they go fast because of Nick & Whitney on Friday morning. We got through the gate and went straight for the camp ground and set up camp. The main camp grounds have new cinder block fire pits . Very nice. I need sleep and do not function well with out sleep so my plan was to kick back and relax for Friday. ( Shocking I know ) So we kicked it and drank beer, BBQed . I tryed to nap but could not . So I go out and try to fish for a bit for nada. Oh well, I was not into it . I did see many people catching trout all around. It was wide open fishing on most every bait. So I tell myself Saturday is my day to fish and get my first trout for the Season.

I brought some of my Troutma65 Tri-Tip and BBQed it up . Not long after eating dinner I was heading for the tent at 6:30 PM to crash out and get a good nights sleep for tomorrows trout slay fest. ( Or so I thought )

Got up and went to the tackle shop and saw 2Quick . Ordered breakfast and was the 4 th car in the line inside the lake along the road to trout Island. When the first two cars come through the gate the campers can go get their fishing spots.

I set up in area in the flats. The fog rolled in by this time and it was a bit chilly out. I set one fishing rod up with a Berkley Power Worm ( pink ) w / white power egg. 2 foot plus leaders first thing in the morning. ( After it warmed up I shorten the leaders to about 16 " ) My other fishing rod I used Garlic power bait .

Not to long I get my first stocker size trout. Sweet. I finally get my trout. This went on for a while and by 8:30 Am I had my limt of trout. About this time my buddy calls me and says he is ready to go fishing. I got to the camp ground and pick him up and drop him off as I head to the tackle shop for my second limit pass. I did catch 2 trout with an inflated nightcrawler power egg combo. I got 3 trout with the garlic power bait . The rest of my trout were caught with the pink power worm w/ white power egg combo. I really like using the power worms . The family fishing next to me were using lures & everything else to catch their limits. It really was great fishing. The trout seemed to be hungry. Almost all the trout I landed had swallowed my bait . I only got 2 that we lip hooked.

At some point I went to my truck and had a power nap. I sure needed it as sleeping on the ground in the tent really wrecked me. So I snored away as my buddy got to fish for his limit. I woke up refreshed and got my biggest trout of the day , a 2 pounder. It fought great. All the fish fought good but the larger ones are the funest to catch.

A buddy of mine took his daughter fishing and they fished the Lagoon and got limits.

We were paid up for another night of camping ( Saturday night ) I said there was no way I am going to sleep another night on the ground without a Air Mattress. It was agreed that we would go pack it in.
Truly, this was a great trout opener as the trout were hungry and on the chew.

Thanks for reading

johnsfishing
11-07-2009, 11:02 PM
thanks for the post Patrick. It was a good read! Congrats on the double limits :Cool: Good waving at you :LOL:

johnsfishing

Troutman65
11-07-2009, 11:07 PM
thanks for the post Patrick. It was a good read! Congrats on the double limits :Cool: Good waving at you :LOL:

johnsfishing

John, nice to see that you landed a big trout today.

Thanks for reading :Big Grin:

troutdog
11-07-2009, 11:36 PM
What no catfish? :LOL:

Nice play by play TM, I'll see you out there soon I'm sure!

TD

Angler Dan
11-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the report.

Is the West Shore completely closed for vehicles? I know you can hike down the hill or beach a boat, but is there any part to which you can drive?

Troutman65
11-08-2009, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the report.

Is the West Shore completely closed for vehicles? I know you can hike down the hill or beach a boat, but is there any part to which you can drive?

Dan, the lake level is still high and the road that one would drive on is under water . You either have to park at the upper camp ground and hike down or have a boat to acess the West Shore. Thanks for reading

Troutman65
11-08-2009, 05:09 AM
What no catfish? :LOL:

Nice play by play TM, I'll see you out there soon I'm sure!

TD

No CATFISH for me TD.:LOL::Wink: Another FNN guy I know John ( I forgot his FNN screen name ) landed a 5.8 CATFISH on power bait. He was fishing along the West Shore.

Mondo21
11-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Good to see you're back out at Irvine fishing. Thanks for the nice report. Good to know that the Trout is going CRAZY!!! for almost everything! Thanks Patrick!

Cindy:Big Smile:

Sue
11-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Nice report, Patrick!

2jackedLUNGS
11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Nice report. I think Ill try camping Irvine soon.

budman8
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Troutman sounds like you had a good time fishing!

But you do got to have the mattress!!!

Budman8

See Chris Fish
11-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey Pat!! Great to see ya!! Thank goodness the TROUT season is on. I agree with the need for an air mattress.
Sorry for waking you up during your nap. Couldn't sneak by your truck, so had to wake you to move it.
The bite was WFO!! I decided to float tube the opener. Launched behind Trout Island with Pat covering my "6"!! LOL I love the craziness of the opening days.
Water temp in the morning was 64 degrees with fog. Got to 67 by mid-day.
First trout was in my basket before I even finished kicking out away for shore. This was my first catch using a Lip Rip jig. I tossed it out as I was kicking out and getting a nightcrawler on the other pole. BAM!!! Nice 2 1/2 lbs. I'm sold on the jig. Could feel the fish nipping at it most of the time it was in the water, but only got the one. Will work on the technique and see if I can get better at it.
Got 3 more in the flats area on nightcrawlers and my last one on a Rapala at the Red Cliffs.
I recently got a portable fish finder and hooked it up to my float tube, "Redneck style" (i.e.-low budget). I've used the finder before, but something about watching the fish school under the tube was exciting! Seeing the fish at 25 feet and rising to 6 feet, directly under me. WOW!
It was one of the best opening days I've ever been to. Wide open all day long. I talked with a few people and it seemed anything and everything was working.
Can't wait for next weekend.

MAVERICK27
11-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Congrats Patrick!!! I must have missed you out there. I took the boat out Saturday. I showed up late at 1030. Great report!!!