PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lagoon - 11/7

Ffejrobins30
11-07-2009, 06:38 PM
The LMB tonight was good. Walked up near the dam at the end of the campground and managed to hook up on a total of 5 fish between 3:45 and 6 PM. Only managed to get 3 of them landed though. The other two got off the hook with less than 10 ft. to go. I managed to get the largest one of the night...4.2 lbs. While I also landed a smaller 2 lb fishy. the other that was landed was very tiny, only about 8 in. long and less than a pound. Here's a couple pics:

Toad Hunter
11-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Nice job. What were you using?? Do you or anyone else know what time they open. I am thinking of going early tomorrow morn.

Ffejrobins30
11-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks! I was just Dropshotting a bright pink RoboWorm and working it slowly. Not too bad for just about 2 hours.

Lagoon is open 24 hours on the east side for shore fishing. There is no fishing from the west side.

If you are looking to fish the upper lake opens at 6:15 in the morning according to their website.

I might try to hit the lagoon again in the morning. I have no life, so fishing is all I have :-)

Toad Hunter
11-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks! I was just Dropshotting a bright pink RoboWorm and working it slowly. Not too bad for just about 2 hours.

Lagoon is open 24 hours on the east side for shore fishing. There is no fishing from the west side.

If you are looking to fish the upper lake opens at 6:15 in the morning according to their website.

I might try to hit the lagoon again in the morning. I have no life, so fishing is all I have :-)

Thanks for the info! I have never been up that way so this is going to be a new adventure for me. I have a life which only consists of fishing! hehe:Big Grin:

Fire Ball
11-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I walked all the way up to the spot that you were fishing from today, last time I was at the lagoon and it looked like it had some nice structure that could be holding a lot of bass. It is a long walk over there, lol. I wish I could fish the lagoon tomorrow, but I am going to the upper lake on my boat instead.

Ffejrobins30
11-07-2009, 07:00 PM
It's funny, because there are good size bass all up and down the campground area. You just have to cast out about 40ft then work the weedline under the water. I usually get a hit every 15 minutes or so.

Fire Ball
11-07-2009, 07:22 PM
It's funny, because there are good size bass all up and down the campground area. You just have to cast out about 40ft then work the weedline under the water. I usually get a hit every 15 minutes or so.

Nice. I just started to fish in from the the camp grounds and caught a quite a few bass there, but when I used to fish around the launch ramp, I didn't get very many decent sized bass! I need to get some more Roboworms in different sizes and colors. I just got a drop shot rod so I will be doing a lot more drop shotting in the future. I got hits about every 20 to 30 minutes, but then after a certain amount of time, it really slowed down. It has EXTREMELY windy the day that I first started getting into drop shotting so that probably effected it. Plus I only had 1/8 oz weights so my casts weren't too far, especially with all of the wind!

Ffejrobins30
11-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I've only been doing this hardcore for about a month. I haven't invested a whole lot of money into it, so I'm sporting a Shakespeare Durango Ultra Light rod, Shimano Spinning Reel wound with Berkley Vanish 6 lb Flouro. It's my multi-purpose rod/reel, so it does everything for me. You should send me a message one weekend when you are coming out and we can meet up. I'm always willing to meet new people with different experiences than I've had..that's how you learn stuff.

cappo
11-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Nice job. I'm thinking about heading up there tomorrow.

Fire Ball
11-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I've only been doing this hardcore for about a month. I haven't invested a whole lot of money into it, so I'm sporting a Shakespeare Durango Ultra Light rod, Shimano Spinning Reel wound with Berkley Vanish 6 lb Flouro. It's my multi-purpose rod/reel, so it does everything for me. You should send me a message one weekend when you are coming out and we can meet up. I'm always willing to meet new people with different experiences than I've had..that's how you learn stuff.

Ultra light? Lol, that has to be fun. :Envious:
I wouldn't mind meeting up with you next time I fish the lagoon. It will probably be next week that I go.

Ffejrobins30
11-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Actually...the ultra light is awesome. I prefer it to my buddy's medium rod. You can feel everything with it. Even the little twitches that come from nibbles without a strike on the hook. The tough thing is to know when it's a nibble and a good strike, but once you have one on hook it's VERY exciting.

Fire Ball
11-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Actually...the ultra light is awesome. I prefer it to my buddy's medium rod. You can feel everything with it. Even the little twitches that come from nibbles without a strike on the hook. The tough thing is to know when it's a nibble and a good strike, but once you have one on hook it's VERY exciting.

I prefer my medium-light St. Croix Mojo Bass rod. I was thinking of trying my ultra light, but then I realized it would be terrible for shaking the worm. I could use my reel with 2 lb test on it too! LOL! That would be fun with a big fish!

Ffejrobins30
11-07-2009, 08:31 PM
As long as you have the drag set right you shouldn't break off too often. It's all about learning the rod and the technique required I guess. I like my drag a little on the light side just to be safe. I'm totally addicted.

Fire Ball
11-07-2009, 08:33 PM
As long as you have the drag set right you shouldn't break off too often. It's all about learning the rod and the technique required I guess. I like my drag a little on the light side just to be safe. I'm totally addicted.

I like having my drag pretty light too. That way that I can fight the fish longer and be SURE that I am not going to lose it.

Ffejrobins30
11-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Just shoot me message when you plan to go out next time and I'll try to make it out. I live right around the corner, so short notice isn't a big problem I usually hit it at least 3 times a week, even if it's only for a couple of hours.

Ray Lopez
11-08-2009, 03:13 PM
good job out there. Sounds like you are killing it out there. Keep it up and you'll soon be landing the lunkers that lurk the waters of the lagoon.

Ffejrobins30
11-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm trying! So far so good. I need to get another rod though. I'm thinking Med-light with a baitcaster...time for research.

Fire Ball
11-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm trying! So far so good. I need to get another rod though. I'm thinking Med-light with a baitcaster...time for research.

A baitcaster for drop shotting is going to cost you more! Just get a good spinning setup for drop shotting.

Ffejrobins30
11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I want to get a baitcaster setup because I would like to start visiting other bodies of water, casting around actual cover and maybe become a better angler. I would like to learn how to fish a pig/jig and some other stuff. That's the main reason for it.

Fire Ball
11-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I want to get a baitcaster setup because I would like to start visiting other bodies of water, casting around actual cover and maybe become a better angler. I would like to learn how to fish a pig/jig and some other stuff. That's the main reason for it.

Then you are going to need a medium-heavy rod probably. It isn't going to be for drop shotting?

Ffejrobins30
11-08-2009, 08:42 PM
No, I've got the drop-shot down pretty good on my current rod. Although it's an ultra-lite, it's served me VERY well in Castaic lagoon. Since there's not a lot of cover other than weeds for the fish to run to, I don't have to really yank them out of anywhere. I've still got some research to do, but I think I will go with a med/heavy rod and a decent baitcaster for my next serious purchase.

Ray Lopez
11-09-2009, 07:03 PM

yea i'm moving towards the jig and pig even tho it is hard to find good pig anywhere. I would go medium at least for a jig so you can fish the heavier jigs.

No, I've got the drop-shot down pretty good on my current rod. Although it's an ultra-lite, it's served me VERY well in Castaic lagoon. Since there's not a lot of cover other than weeds for the fish to run to, I don't have to really yank them out of anywhere. I've still got some research to do, but I think I will go with a med/heavy rod and a decent baitcaster for my next serious purchase.

For drop shot check out a Dawia "heartland" bass pole. It is a great setup for drop **** and is not horribly expensive. It is medium with a fast tip. So you have the backbone to hoist bigger fish but the tip is fast enough so you feel everything like a ultralight or possibly even more due to the fast action.

Ffejrobins30
11-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I picked up the rod and reel today. I went with an old standby in with the rod with a Meduim Action 1 piece Ugly-Stik.

This is the reel I got

http://www.pinnaclefishing.com/platinum-plus.html

Should be a good starter setup.