PDA

View Full Version : Made it to Cancun!

DEADROOTS
11-07-2009, 09:14 AM
As beautiful as the place was I only found two 2-3 hour gaps of sun within my whole trip. There was a mini hurricane the entire time I was there. The first day out I got a kayak and worked the lagoon. After an hour or so I produced 2 12-13 inch baracuda but left my camera behind, :Angry::mad:! They looked kind of like northern musky with a creamish olive color. Cool looking. On my second time out I hooked these red guys the locals were calling snapper. I gave these to them. I hooked into several green long pipe fish using the bubble gum gulp minnows but all unbuttoned. The locals were pulling these snaper out almost every cast. I only got two LOL. They were using big pingpong looking paddles with 40lbs test wrapped around them with 3-4 ounce sinkers using chunks of shrimp. Ill go back in the summer and hunt all the big game. :Cool: There were iguanas everywhere! The escargot was phenomenal:!!!::EyePop::Shocked:

smokehound
11-07-2009, 07:56 PM
The snappers are easier to catch with cut bait like shrimp or squid.. but I imagine gulp shrimps would work nice =)

It looks like you had a great time. Those pipefish you were catching were cornetfish.

thanks for the update!

primo55
11-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Great pics,gotta take your gear everywhere!!

Ifishtoolittle
11-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Nice Snappas Deadroots! WTG! So what did you get those little guys on? The bait I found to be real productive around cancun was squid that was the candy bait. It's candy to fish over here on the West coast and over there on the East coast.

Big Daddy
11-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Great pictures

DEADROOTS
11-20-2009, 08:16 AM
The snappers are easier to catch with cut bait like shrimp or squid.. but I imagine gulp shrimps would work nice =)

It looks like you had a great time. Those pipefish you were catching were cornetfish.

thanks for the update!
I tried the GULP shrimp but no takers. Thanks for the info.:Beer Toast:

Great pics,gotta take your gear everywhere!!
You have to. I went up north once without my tackle and found my self watching people catch striped bass from the surf. It sucked.

Nice Snappas Deadroots! WTG! So what did you get those little guys on? The bait I found to be real productive around cancun was squid that was the candy bait. It's candy to fish over here on the West coast and over there on the East coast.
I wish I had bought some. The locals were using shrimp and squid. I would have been hooked up a lot more.

Great pictures
:Beer Toast: