PDA

View Full Version : Utah Tiger Trout

jacksonman
11-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Since California has not yet warmed up to the genetically created Tiger Trout, I thought you would enjoy these pictures. Caught last week at a Lake in Southernish Utah that will not be named. Enjoy!

troutdog
11-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Nice looking fish, that 3 rd fish is gorgeous! Did you throw lures at them or gettum on bait? I believe Sarl had them a few years back but not positive....welcome to the board, what took ya so long?

TD

Native Gal
11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
The color is Sweet!
Can't wait to get back to Utah and fish all the lakes again, thanks for the pixs.
NG
:Big Grin:

primo55
11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
THOSE ARE SOME AWESOME LOOKIN TROUT!!
GREAT COLOR,HOPE THEY BRINGEM THIS WAY!!
THANKS FOR THE POST:Thumbs Up:

jacksonman
11-06-2009, 07:26 AM
I grew up in Southern California but have lived in Utah for the past 10 years. The trout fishing in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming keeps me from ever considering a move back to SoCal.

I do fish California every year, usually deep sea and the high sierras. But if any of you need Utah trout tips, feel free to let me know.

Jared Fields
RE/MAX Results
Jared@MyProvoHome.com

smokehound
11-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Okay, that does it, I'm moving to utah.

DccFISHerMan
11-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Okay, that does it, I'm moving to utah.

need a room mate. lol

Natural Lefty
11-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I read about those last year when my wife and I were preparing to go to Colorado and Utah for a fishing trip. They are a hybrid between Brown Trout and Brook Trout. I am surprised they can even hybridize, although I think they are sterile. We didn't catch any of those, but I caught a Splake Trout at Navajo Lake in Southwestern Utah. That was a pleasant surprise. Splake Trout are hybrids between Brook Trout and Lake Trout, and they actually are fertile. Apparently, those states are into stocking hybrid trout, but California is not. :Confused:

Astrolux
11-09-2009, 05:15 AM
They stock these killer trout to keep the brook trout population down in some places. Apparently they are pretty ferocious eaters. These fish can occur naturally where there is brown and brook trout but its very rare. And the tiger itself is sterile.

billy b
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
on how they fight ... and how they taste ... vs rainbows and browns?

Why did you not want to name the lake? j/c

smokehound
11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I read about those last year when my wife and I were preparing to go to Colorado and Utah for a fishing trip. They are a hybrid between Brown Trout and Brook Trout. I am surprised they can even hybridize, although I think they are sterile. We didn't catch any of those, but I caught a Splake Trout at Navajo Lake in Southwestern Utah. That was a pleasant surprise. Splake Trout are hybrids between Brook Trout and Lake Trout, and they actually are fertile. Apparently, those states are into stocking hybrid trout, but California is not. :Confused:Thats because california is run by extremist liberals that believe fish should get social security. LOL

Natural Lefty
11-09-2009, 09:50 PM
To Smokehound and others, I just wrote a long reply to this thread, which disappeared when I tried to post it. The computer said the page had expired. Perhaps it's because I was saying my pinko tree-hugging liberal stuff, and this site is run by CON-servatives. :Rolls Eyes: It seems to be that way with all of the fishing sites I have seen, for the most part. Smokehound, we get along great and agree on all sorts of fishing issues, but I really am a true liberal (I prefer the term progressive). Anyway, I read the site rules, and it said avoid politics, so that is just what I would do, normally.

As far as living in Utah, it has good aspects, but I would not fit in there religiously, socially or politically. Also, I am married to a woman of another race (Chinese and I am White), which is a no-no in the Mormon religion. However, I am particularly good at ignoring or defying social pressures so I could do it if I wanted.

Back to fish, I think the emphasis on native fish (Rainbow, Goldens, Cutthroat, Cohos, Chinooks, Sacramento Perch, and various non-game species) prevails among the DFG here, so maybe that is why we don't have these hybrids, but I wish we did some places (maybe some reservoirs where they wouldn't cause problems).

MammothMagic
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Beautiful they look like they belong in the amazon with the pecock bass.

tpfishnfool
11-10-2009, 07:02 AM
They have em up in Washington St. too. SWEET MEAT BAD *** FISH !!

tenderloin
11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Topaz Lake on the California Nevada border has Tiger trout stocked by Nevada...Also Bow -Cutts

DCCTrouserTrout
11-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Topaz Lake on the California Nevada border has Tiger trout stocked by Nevada...Also Bow -Cutts

I had no clue Topaz had those in there. I can never seem to get any fish out of that lake anyways. Caught one of those bow-cutts though in the spillway

tpfishnfool
11-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Topaz had them years ago. That lake has not seen a Tiger Trout in years. Remember they cannot reproduce.

Natural Lefty
11-12-2009, 08:57 PM
tpfisnfool, my investigations last summer showed that you are correct; they cannot reproduce, so if they haven't been stocked in recent years, they are probably gone.

I find it curious that so many species are closely related enough to hybridize, but their hybrids are not fertile. I don't know the biological mechanism behind that. Other examples include Tiger Muskies (Pike hybridized with Muskies), Wipers (White Bass crossed with Stripers) and Hybrid Sunfish (Bluegill with Green Sunfish). All of these are stocked extensively some places. There are even Wiper farms near the Salton Sea. Saugeyes might also be infertile, but I am not sure about that. :Confused:

tenderloin
11-13-2009, 11:38 AM
As I mentioned in a previous post. Topaz Lake on the California/Nevada border HAS Tiger Trout. They are stocked every winter. In fact they were stocked just a couple weeks ago..about the same time the year before and the year before.

10/20/09 Topaz Lake DO 2,512 7.5" Tiger Trout

11/8/08 Topaz Lake DO 3,780 8.3" Tiger Trout

Scroll down this list to find when,where, number and size.

http://www.ndow.org/fish/stocking/west.shtm

yakker
11-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Beautiful they look like they belong in the amazon with the pecock bass.

I thought the same thing. Utah has really changed. ;)

Astrolux
11-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Also, I am married to a woman of another race (Chinese and I am White), which is a no-no in the Mormon religion.

Not to start a religious debate but you are totally wrong with that statement. I don't know where you heard that, but making false statements about a religion you know nothing about is wrong. I myself am not Mormon but I have many friends that are.

Slims
11-15-2009, 02:21 PM
They used to stock these fish at SARL. I never got one there though.

Natural Lefty
11-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Astrolux, I apologize if I didn't investigate the Mormon Church's updated attitudes first. That statement was based on what I had learned about the Mormon faith earlier in my life. Perhaps they accept interracial marriages now, but not before. I think they have officially become more tolerant and "politically correct" on many issues, but when I was there last summer, the radio programs still had a Jim Crow mindset.

Big Daddy
11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Those are beautiful

BIGBASS MB
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I want some....

jacksonman
12-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I apologize for not checking in sooner on this thread but thought you would enjoy these additional tiger trout pictures. Caught all of these while ice fishing up here this month.

Also, just for the record, the LDS church is not against interracial marriage. I think that was more of a generational thing throughout the majority of the USA that has evaporated with the newer generations. I am LDS but many of my fishing buddies are not and most of friends back in SoCal are not. Utah definitely has a unique culture but the fishing is totally worth living with it!:Razz:

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/jtfields11/Tigers/P1040172.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/jtfields11/Tigers/P1040163.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/jtfields11/Tigers/P1040160.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/jtfields11/Tigers/P1040101.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/jtfields11/Tigers/P1040087.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/jtfields11/Tigers/P1040081.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/jtfields11/Tigers/P1040077.jpg

tpfishnfool
12-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Those are Awsome looking fish. Guess I need a road trip to Utah..

Luc25
12-20-2009, 10:16 AM
What lakes in Utah hold these fish? Been to Quail and Sand Hollow in Utah for bass.

sansou
12-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Really nice looking fish!

SierraPeaks
04-28-2010, 02:50 PM
What lakes in Utah hold these fish? Been to Quail and Sand Hollow in Utah for bass.

Most lakes in the higher elevations in Utah do as far as I know. I caught a 4.2 Tiger at Panguitch Lake (along with a nice 5.7 Brown and a 4.11 Brook) and a 7.7 Splake at Navajo Lake both on the same trip last September (2009) Navajo Lake was tough going. The lake is low due to a breech in the levee and the weeds were 15 feet high and just under the surface. But once you find the G spot...it's on !

City Dad
05-04-2010, 08:30 AM
since I'm not familiar with the chocolate milk system of measurement, could you post a picture of your fish next to a tallboy? Or maybe one flip-flop (with the size of your foot noted beneath the pic?);)

and oh yeah, nice trout!