PDA

View Full Version : Corona Trout Opener

The Angler
11-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Met up with my cousin around 5:45 A.M. he was about 15 cars back, I was about 20. I Already pre-rigged My power bait set-up so I can just add bait and sling it away first thing. The Lake was really foggy for the first 2 hours or so and it was a little chilly. The first thing I noticed is how extremly Low the water level is. It has to be at Least 20-30 feet shallower from last season I couldn't believe it. There was all kind of Structure exposed,There was an area that had a ton of tree stumps/Limps that was perfect cover for bass so I rigged up a Texas rigged senko and went at it for awhile Had a few miss fires but oh well.

While I was worm'n for Bass I see my cousin grabbing my rod so I run over but by the time I get over there He kindly reeled in my first catch of the day:Angry: It was a normal Stocker sized trout Nothing special,BUT he did say dang that little guy fought hard. Which kinda frustrated me cause I didnt get to fight the fish. So I rebait and cast out and whaammm My cousin gets hooked up. He pretty much kept hooking up about every hour or so Until about 9:00.

Now its my turn my cousin notices my rod going bendo so I go Grap it. Set the hook and begin the fight. Man these full tailed trout fight waaaaay harder then the trout from last season. All u can hear is the ZZZZZZZZZzzzZzzzzzzzzzzZz from the drag on my reel. I get the fish in bout 10 feet away Then ZZZZZZZZZZZzZzZZZZZZZZzzZ he takes off again my rod is full bendo jerking like crazy, All I kept thinking was this is my first double digit trout let him pull drag till he tires out. I get him in around 10 feet again and hes in sight, My cousin yells "DDDAAAAAAAMMMMMNNNNNNNNNN im getting the net, I dont think its big enought though" He gets in position and the fish is about 5 feet away then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz all over again. I think he seen the net and got spooked cuz he was ripping off line like no tomarrow.

My cousins laughing in the backround saying he took off on you hes all the way out there now. I look down at my reel and saw that my line was almost gone, And then I made the dumbest mistake. I tighten the drag and trying to finish him off. I get him back to about 20 feet and SPPLLAASSHH this baby goes Airborn and slams back down into the water.......

Im reeling him in he's almost here. Then all of a sudden I got the feeling in my rod that everyone knows... I no longer feel the tug or tension I pause look back to my cousin. He's standing there with his eyes wide open:Shocked:. Then I tell him the bad news "I think hes gone" I stood at the edge of the water for a good 5 minutes Just thinking to myself Why in the hell did you tighten up the drag:Sad:

After that I didnt want to fish anymore I kinda lost hope after. All together My cousin caught 4 & I caught 2 the 2 fish I landed fought really hard and I was pretty Impressed Corona Lake word wa true about having these monster fighting fish this season. I am definitly going back again to try to get the 1 that got away.

Biggest fish Landed weighed in at 4 Lb's 5 oz Caught with Green gulp powerbait

all Others were caught with Sherbert and Chartuse power bait

The Catch
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/jgm3100/017.jpg

The Biggest
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/jgm3100/020.jpg

My cousin Doing his best imitation of me fighting the beast
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/jgm3100/021.jpg

The Angler
11-05-2009, 05:51 PM
ok wow finally got the pics working

Mr Bendo
11-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Good job. Nice fish.

Greg Madrigal
11-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey good job out there. I'm glad to hear that Corona has ditched the "tailless freaks"

Sorry about that big one...Live n learn....

GM<><

Troutman65
11-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Looks like you had a good time out there. Nice trout. Thanks for posting up.

Mondo21
11-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the play by play. Sorry about the dd that got away. Nice pics. Cindy:Big Grin:

primo55
11-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Nice catch,good to see some action at Corona!!!