PDA

View Full Version : buying my first kayak:what do i do???

eyedea
11-04-2009, 05:49 PM
ok guys my family has decided that for my 21st they are buying me a kayak, but the dilemma is i have no clue what to look for, i will be using it for the ocean, but possibly using it for a lake here and there.
please if you need any information to help let me know, also if you have any info please let me know. oh and im about 6'2" i dont know if thats important

mammoth xfactor
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I sent you a pm with some info

laznbboi
11-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Post it in here, so everyone can read and share your experience.

Mojave River Angler
11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
You kind of need a budget limit to make an informed decision. Keep in mind that you'll buy $400-1200 worth of accessories to go with this thing.
Stuff like:
A rack to mount it on a vehicle
A fish finder
Some rod holders
Good Paddles
An appropriate PFD
A dry bag (if it doesn't have a dry cell)
A frist aid kit to go in the dry bag
A horn or whistle (especially if you want to use it at Castaic...they will run you over)
A small anchor and rope if you want to be able to hold a spot or tie off to a stump
A rudder system if you plan to hit the ocean or use windy locations
Lots of little incidentals will come to mind only after you hit the water

I bought a tandem Perception that is 14'. Some lakes won't let vessels under 12' more than 200 ft. from shore so this gives me total freedom and I can paddle it alone no problem. Nice when you have a second paddler. A little harder to handle in the wind since I didn't pony up the $200 for a rudder yet.
I paddled it about 5 miles with me and my 7 year old...and for a while in the wind. I wad tired, but you can really cover mileage in no wind. I would have rather been catching fish. I scored mine from craigs list for $400 knowing I would spend more on other gear and ended up keeping the budget under $700 total.

You didn't mention the possibility of whitewater, but you would need other gear for that too...helmet, skirt...

I have a whitewater raft that I have licensed as a vessel and use it to fish from sometimes. Versatility is the spice of life.

I hope there is a tidbit of helpful info here.

Mojave River Angler

Fire Ball
11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
A horn or whistle (especially if you want to use it at Castaic...they will run you over)

You should definitely take it to the lower lake! It is better for LMB in my opinion and it is calmer and less crowded.

mil sonrisas
11-05-2009, 11:55 PM
I too have been looking for a kayak to purchase. On the classified adds on here, there is a fully rigged kayak on sale for $750. It seems like a good deal. Has many extras included. I would by it myself, but am a bit strapped for cash at the moment. Oh, I hope you have a great birthday!

greeper
11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I can't stress it enough go test out several different brands, there's a big difference in stability, steering, tracking, storage, rod holder placement, seating etc... YOu really need to try them out to see what best suits your needs and what type you feel comfortable in...Also, be patient patient patient and look for deals. I've owned Ocean yaks, two extremes and an xfactor. I preferred the Extreme out of all those, but I've stepped it up and now have a Hobie Outback... I waited and waited and got a killer deal so be patient. There's just so many factors to consider.

yakker
11-14-2009, 05:33 AM
When it comes to buying "Try before you buy" its easy to get buyers remorse when you shell out long green. Its a major purchase when you're talking your 21st bday present.
You're going to want to have some short rods too. Its a heck of a lot easier to rig a line and control fish in a kayak with a 4.5' rod than a 7'.
Also pick out a PFD thats comfortable and looks good. I have a Stearns Vflex waterski vest, it hasa neoprene shell that doesn't chafe me after I've been paddling for hours, or days. Which means you'll wear it.
and figure out if you like sit on tops or sit inside kayaks better. They are vastly different. I like a SINK, but there are lots of kayak fishers who prefer the SOT and really for ocean fishing I might agree. You said your 6'2" so make sure you have enough boat for your size and gear.

Tight Lines
yakker

gabe2008
11-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Eyedea,
Definately try some out before you buy. Most kayak dealers along the coast will let you test paddle them before you buy.
A lot of factors come into play, your size, weight, type of water you'll be fishing, type of fishing you'll be doing and so on.
When you do narrow your choice down, don't rig everything up right away. Have your basic two flush mount rod holders installed and that's it. Go out a few times and see how you fish and where you would like things if you decide to add anything else.
As for the rod lengths, I would have to disagree with the short rods on the kayak. But then again, it depends on the type of species you will be targeting.

Gabe

YakN'Surf
12-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Well there are probably a million things to say, but one that comes to mind is dont worry so much about a fish finder. Unless you have a good fishfinder and are really good at reading them/using the info. I have a cheap humminbird and its cool to know depth and whats down there, but i notice i catch more fish without it and every time it meters tons of fish i never get bit. I think the cheaper model doesnt do me any justice, buts guaranteed you can have a ton of fun and catch fish without one.....to start atleast.

Alexi
01-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Eyedea,
Definately try some out before you buy. Most kayak dealers along the coast will let you test paddle them before you buy.
A lot of factors come into play, your size, weight, type of water you'll be fishing, type of fishing you'll be doing and so on.
When you do narrow your choice down, don't rig everything up right away. Have your basic two flush mount rod holders installed and that's it. Go out a few times and see how you fish and where you would like things if you decide to add anything else.
As for the rod lengths, I would have to disagree with the short rods on the kayak. But then again, it depends on the type of species you will be targeting.

Gabe

right on the money...you should for sure test out a bunch of different yaks. different yaks feel different for every angler. like myself, i tried about 10 different yaks out before i bought mine. balance was my key buying point and how much the hull could support in weight because my fishing partner and i would frequently chase bigger game species down south of the border on a tandem kayak...one angler and one paddler.

the yak, poles, reels, rod holders, fish finders, ect. ect. has to be comfortable for your body size and fishing style. so just make sure that you dont buy the hottest fishing yak for the 2010 season.

i bought one of my yaks from taylor tackle in the san fernando valley. the offered to drive me and the yaks out to the ocean to test them, not only in open water but also launching and landing. great guys!