PDA

View Full Version : patchy lawn repair

badger
11-04-2009, 02:06 PM
over the months i had to cut back on watering to try and cut back the water bill, i have been watering regularly again but now i have some patches in my front yard and some bigger ones in the back, does anyone have any tips on what to use or how to do it im looking for the most economical way to do it thanks!

Cangler
11-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Blame it on the badgers ...

icachum2
11-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Do the patchy areas still have grass, or are they bare? If it's bare, you really have to wait till spring to plant any decent grass seeds (marathon,etc.) because they won't grow if it becomes cold. If your grass is mix and match variety you can get "patch" grass at Home Depot or Lowes for cheap. It's crappy quality grass but it grows real fast ALMOST any time of year.
If there is grass but just kind of yellowed in areas. Buy a bag of Ammonium Sulfate at Lowes. $11 for 20lbs should last years unless your lawn is the size of a Rhode Island. Follow the directions, don't overdose! Your grass will be so green your neighbors will be asking how you did it. It's the schnizzel.

Good Luck!

Nessie Hunter
11-05-2009, 07:59 AM
I have a bare section from the time house was empty....
I cant get it to grow back on its own.. It is slowly creeping back, but to slow for me...

So plan to re-seed in spring...

If you use the high Nitrogen Fertilizer (like Ammonium Nitrate) be very careful and use it very lightly....
I burned 3 spots where I was standing and throwing it.. A little to much fell from my hand???...

Plus it grows so fast you will kick yourself.. You will be mowing 2 or 3 times a week... :ROFL:
This is a good example of "less is More"......

As stated, best method is to wait till Spring and do it when Mother Nature will lend a hand... Rain, cool, fewer bugs and birds to eat the seed...

Troutman65
11-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Spray paint it green and your good to go .