PDA

View Full Version : Morro Bay Poke Poling

rusty6
11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
so my knee is finally back to near 100% and just in time for the crazy low winter tides. Today there was a -.8 that peaked just about an hour after my literature class so i got all my stuff ready so i could cruise up to morro as soon as i got back from class. got there about 45 minutes before the peak of the tide, picked up some squid and headed for the rocks. i didnt have too high of hopes as this place doesnt usually produce too much. started off pretty slow, just getting short biters in the first few holes that i couldnt hook. then finally got on the board with a two small cabezon. then i got a new species! a nice sized greenling, about 12 inches! then it slowed down again til i spotted a really nice looking hole that HAD to have something in it, and there was, pulled out another first, a grass rockfish about 10 inches and with some decent shoulders on it. Then i spotted an area that looked perfect for eels, pulled out 3 monkey faced eels, all about 12 inched and lost one that would have easily been my pb, looked to be about 28ish inches. wel, with a lot of low tides coming, i'll get him next time.

murrieta angler
11-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Nice job hitting up the beach after after school, I remember those days in H.B.....seeeems soooo longggg ago....:Smile:
Wished you woulda posted pics, I've never seen those type of eels before. Are they indigenous to that area?

Have a good 1!

gavin310
11-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Awesome! I've been waiting for a poke poling post since i've only seen it on youtube. I really wish you had some pictures to go with it, but good job out there :Cool:

rusty6
11-04-2009, 09:39 AM
yeah i wish i had pics too, but if you saw some of the precarious positions i get into, a camera would look like a terrible idea to have. i'll figure something out eventually

calico killer kevin
11-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Olympus SW or Pentax W60.:Cool:

Man does that sound like fun. I will do it sometime. You eat any of them?

Simplyeman
11-04-2009, 11:01 PM
nice job rusty........take some pics next time but NOT while you poke...just pics of the AO, would be cool see the an image.

2jackedLUNGS
11-27-2009, 07:43 PM
pic next time please! nice report.

smokehound
11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
The last time i went poke-poling i had to see a urologist for the scratches i got.

rusty6
11-30-2009, 09:57 AM
haha i knew this post couldnt go forever without the obvious joke. some good tides this week, i should have another post up by the end of the week

Ambassadorhawg
11-30-2009, 07:07 PM
R6,
Did I read your report correctly? "don't usually get much from there"? I guess I'll need to show you exactly where all the secret honey holes are out there. The secret spots are literally plugged with fish.

Species you need to check off your list from Morro Bay poke poling holes are:
*Ling Cod (several)
*Kelp Rockfish (trillions)
*Black & Yellow Rockfish (several)
*Chucklehead (billlions)
*Calico bass (a few)
*Sand bass (a few)
*Sculpin (a few)

We have also caught Blue Rockfish, Juv. Bocs, Halibut, Starry Flounder, Jack Smelt, Mackerel, Bat rays and various Perch species casting out into the stringers!

Good going on the Greenling! We've caught a few of those there over the years, that's a true exotic for this place! Aside from Kelp Rockfish, Grass Rockfish are the second most common cod to catch there. Eels are the plague, you can catch dozens and dozens in one outting!

smokehound
12-01-2009, 05:22 AM
haha i knew this post couldnt go forever without the obvious joke. some good tides this week, i should have another post up by the end of the week:LOL:

sorry...

Seriously though, how do monkeyface pricklebacks taste? i imagine they would be similar to rockfish in flavor.

rusty6
12-01-2009, 07:01 AM
when i get around to eating one, ill let you know, ive heard they are damn good though. ambassdorhawg knows but he doesnt seem to be on the boards much anymore

Ambassadorhawg
12-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Monkeyface eel is served in high end resturants! It's yummy!