PDA

View Full Version : Back to Diamond Valley lake- Release the striped bass?

eddiefishtaco
11-03-2009, 04:46 PM
After a great season of Saltwater fishing, with Marlin, Yellowtail, Yellowfin ,
Blue fin, and Dorado in the bag and some still at the freezer :LOL:
I'm going back to the lake to fish for Striped bass
I just love the way they fight

But I'm releasing most of them to catch them again and again

Today I kept just one and gave it to my buddy Keenefish
who drove all the way from Vegas to catch a DD
he wanted fish tacos

Today we fished 1/2 day

hooked 3 Striped bass released 2 and kept a 16.5 pounder
(for David) and nailed Tons of LM bass most from 3 to 5 pounds
and all were released... so the LM bass fisherman keep catching them

2 of the the striped bass was released
so you guys can catch them again
but let them go, to be catch again, and again, were running out of DD's..

I don't think they affect LM bass population, and you can see that
in the huge amounts of LM bass at the lake ..way too many !

Smart LM bass fisherman release their fish to be caught again

and striped bass fisherman kill their fish... duh?

wake up

Nothing fights like a DD striper in Freshwater.. nothing
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/Eddiestriper2Nov309.jpg
and the skunkers excuse that there is no fish because the stripers ate it
is a lie

Stripers preffer shad

I never had a striper with a LM bass in the belly

so let them go pic and release?

let them get huge to 50-pounds?

that would be a good fight boys
whatcha say ? pic and release the stripers?

There's been too many studies at different lakes
and striped bass does not affect LM bass population
and stripers have a hard time reproducing in the lakes

so the big ones that make it to the lake should be released
to fight another day

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/striped-bass-predation-on-bass-crappie.htm

Pics tonite

GdHkSet1
11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Congrats on the DD jailbird, look fwd to seeing pics of that pig. Man can't wait to fish again
If you need room in the freezer, I'll be happy to take some of that BlueFin and Yellowfin off your hands:)

Gobigal
11-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey Fishtaco,

I don't want to start an argument, but striped bass have ruined a fantastic rainbow trout fishery at DVL and the largemouth bass won't be far behind. I've fished all the local lakes here in SoCal over the last 30 years and the striped bass has caused the demise of a possible world record largemouth bass from Castaic and a terrific German Brown, rainbow trout and bass fishery from Silverwood. Now Perris Lake has stripers and the bass fishing in the future will be strictly for 4-5 pound bass. I used to catch 4-5 pound holdover trout at Perris no more than 6 years ago.

Striped bass are a ravenous species that feeds on ALL fish, not just shad. Small fingerling to 2 pound bass and any size rainbow trout is a meal for these guys. They would eat bluegill but they won't eat these guys because of their fin defense.

I have come to the conclusion though, not to fight against them but to fish for them. I have fished Castaic and caught enough to eat and they are excellent eating if prepared correctly. However, they will die when I catch them. If I'm not taking them home I will give them to someone.

When I thought of a moniker to use on this forum, my name was going to be K-A-S.......Kill All Stripers, but someone out there already had it.

I know the drought and our water regulators have contributed to the demise of our local fishery over the last 10 years or so, but the striped bass is the culpa numero uno.

Please kill all strpers from DVL and hopefully we can salvage the other fish species.

Big Al

fishmounter
11-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Striped Bass do eat Bluegills, the fin spines don't bother them any more than it bothers the Largemouth Bass that eat them. Just have to eat them head first, same as any other fish they catch.

samgann93
11-03-2009, 06:11 PM
i would rather dd stripers in dvl than a rainbow trout population. thats why there are irvine, sarl, corona, etc. those stripers are awesome and i will probably be releasing mine this winter. after pics of course.

DarkShadow
11-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Here's an interesting post I dug up from way back that pertains to this topic...

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=8084

If you don't like to read, here's a Cliff Note's version:

As catching 2 and 3" striped bass fry occurs more frequently now, I'd like to ask if the DFG knows where the stripers are actually spawning. Are they spawning in the aqueduct system, or are they spawning in actual lakes themselves?

There have been several studies conducted in CA, Arizona, Nevada and Utah which have documented in-reservoir spawning of the striped bass...

Is there a cycle that occurs with the size of these striped bass? It seems that lakes that had the striped bass early, like Pyramid and Skinner, the size of the fish has been on a steady decline. While 'newer' lakes, like Castaic and DVL, have a larger population of bigger fish.

It is important to remember that striped bass are basically an ocean fish and they had lots of different types of forage fish to eat. When they were stocked in inland reservoirs and they reproduce the population quickly exceed what the threadfin shad population can support. Even with trout stocking you cannot maintain larger striped bass for a very long time. Also, in an effort to try and maintain larger stripers the Department eliminated the size limit in southern California and increase the bag limit to 10. If striper anglers want bigger fish they need to reduce the number of small fish in the lake so there is more forage for the remaining fish.

Have other states' studies regarding landlocked stripers shed any light on the behavior of the fish in smaller landlocked impoundments? What did studies at Lake Powell and Lake Pleasent in Arizona reveal?]

I was in communication with the folks in Utah that were monitoring Lake Powell. They documented in-reservoir spawning and determined that the lack of nutrients in the lake cause a reduction in the number of the shad. With the reduction in shad came the striped bass with big head and snakey bodies.

With the introduction of striped bass into lakes, has their been a decrease or increase in the forage population; threadfin, silversides, or otherwise, or does the forage population follow a pattern not affected by apex predators?

For the most part the populations of threadfin shad are cyclical with a peak population every 3 years. The predation by stripers may reduce the number in lower years so that the peak numbers are lower in those years. If stripers get overpopulated they can essentially eat themselves out of there forage supply.

Finally, what is the future with the striped bass fishery in Southern California?

I think as time goes on you will see more lakes with lots of 2 pound fish and very few big twenty pound plus fish. There will always be a few big fish but most won’t be caught by anglers. I can tell you about 4 years ago we were surveying at Lake Skinner and found a school of about 20 stripers that were all over 20 pounds. I anticipate it will be another 5 or so years before the striped number at Diamond Valley will really take off to the point that it might be a management issue. Stripers are here to stay and it is up to the angler to determine what size they want to catch...Catch and release for striped bass does not help the striper fishery.

So to recap...

• Stripers spawn in lakes just fine.

• That 20 pound striper you release today will probably starve in a few years since it needs more calories than the smaller stripers do, who will in turn, end up eating all the forage (read: shad) which then affects other species who rely on shad for sustenance.

• Catch and release does nothing beneficial to a land locked striper fishery

• If the stripers deplete a lake's main forage, it is silly to say that they will go on a Nutri System diet and not go after other fish. Go ask old timers about the TROPHY Brown Trout population at Silverwood and what happened to it as soon as the stripers infiltrated. Just because you've never found largemouth inside a striper's stomach, doesn't mean they won't eat it. Using that logic, I can say that because I've caught PLENTY of stripers on bass patterned baits, they must be eating them or else they'd avoid the bait.
eddiefishtaco, you say that you have documented evidence that show a landlocked striper fishery is not detrimental to other species, especially the largemouth bass. As a fan of invasive species and their ability to change an environment, I'd love to get some of these publications so I can see how, when and where these studies were conducted. I know I've read about a dozen or so studies regarding landlocked stripers and most did not focus on the lack of predation that occurs.

In any case, I too will continue to release stripers....

I usually release them slowly, in an underhand fashion towards my buddy who is standing at the back of the boat, ready to take a swing with one of those wooden oars that DVL's rentals provide. Then, after I get home, I release their cut up filets into a large bowl, along with a large red onion, 3 large tomatoes, some chopped cilantro and parsley, and some lime and lemon juice, and then I release some salt and pepper on top.

http://www.laylita.com/recipes/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ramon-fish-ceviche-4.jpg

bblbasser
11-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Big Al on this one. Everything he said is correct and to top it off why do you think DVL is offering a striper raffle? (get a raffle ticket for every striper checked in at the tackle shop for a drawing for prizes the end of this month). I read a while ago that they surveyed DVL (sonar, underwater cameras etc) and found out that there are several HUNDRED THOUSAND adult striped bass in the lake after just being open for about a half decade. Couple that with the severly low water and it will hurt this fishery. And they put alot of screens in the intake to try and keep out the stripers from my understanding and they got in anyway.

There is no more holdover fishery for trout. They've been eaten. The bait supply will not be enough to sustain the fishery (stripers included) and in a few years you'll start seeing lake skinner type stripers with big heads and small bodies for the most part IMHO. The big bags of largemouth that we've seen in the past at tournies will start dropping from 27 to 30 lbs for a win to much less (I wouldn't be surprised to see low 20lb to high teens bags to win in just a couple years), just like Castaic. It's just a matter of time, and not a very long time either. The things are like rabbits when it comes to breeding but worse. The stripers only rear their heads at DVL for a small portion of the year. Get em while the gittin's good. Scott

GdHkSet1
11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Darkshadow,
Nice facts.

Bblbasser,
I would have to disagree with holdover trout. There are some good size ones in there all the way up to closing OCT08. Look fwd in getting back to the trolling grounds to battle it out again with mr. rainbow.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/04OCT08DVL008.jpg

eddiefishtaco
11-03-2009, 09:00 PM
here's some pics

and some reading...

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/Eddiefishtacostriper316.jpg

TroutOnly
11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Kill all the stripers ,the lake record is nearly 30lbs so that means theres bigger fish,release the stripers into hot grease and make fish tacos,,,,,,,because actually they shouldnt even be on the west coast if they were not planted in the san francisco bay 120 plus years ago,as soon its launchable im killing them every time,,,,,,,,,,t/o

hook1fred
11-03-2009, 10:04 PM
here's some pics

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/Eddiefishtacostriper316.jpg

kill all stripers, big, small or medium....

Pnutty
11-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Niiice feeesh Mr.Taco! ..sent ya a PM

bblbasser
11-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Quote "Bblbasser,
I would have to disagree with holdover trout. There are some good size ones in there all the way up to closing OCT08."

"OCT09". You said it I didn't. According to the marina folks, there were almost no trout caught withing a few weeks of the last planting last year until the first planting about two weeks ago. I'm sure there are a few holdover trout left in the lake, but nothing like it was even 2 years ago.

I saw the biggest wad of stripers last may (09) along the west dam I've ever seen. over 100 yards of nothing but big stripers (not just on the machine but with my eyes!). A solid mass of free swimmers. We didn't fish for em as we were fishing a dfg study for largemouth. It was F-ing unbelievable. Silverwood WAS a trophy brown trout fishery (prior to the striper hay days of Greg Silks, Del and Ken East), but stripers wiped em out.

I used to catch nice big holdovers, even in the middle of summer as an accidental by-catch while bass fishing on a regular basis. Not true in a long while (like 2 years).
Talk to the marina folks (especially the guys down at the rental dock). They'll school ya as to what happened to the nice holdovers (LUNCH!).

DVL's days as a quality holdover trout fishery are over in my opinion. It is a put and take lake now, just like castaic, silverwood and skinner and pyramid. And when they can't find shad and trout to eat, they will turn to eating bass and smaller stripers and anything else they want. They are the top of the food chain. Scott

ddoskocil
11-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Nice job Taco - good seeing and talking with you. My Dad and I had a rental also, just bass gear. Caught a few, 1-3 pounds, seems they are really hitting the small shad (1 inch). They were busting for a good hour. Only got bit on small baits. Will do it again soon.

fishinone
11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Take all of the striper.

If we don't reduce the population we'll pay the price later. The long stringy striper don't taste as good or fight as good.

The Pyramid striper aren't near as nice as the Castaic ones. But you can catch all the 10-11 inch striper in Pyramid that you want.

The 10 fish limit is actually too low in the Southern District. 25 fish or unlimited makes more sense.

carpanglerdude
11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Never knew Stripers were so controversial here...new to area, good to know.
Alot of fish hate, heh.

fishinone
11-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Never knew Stripers were so controversial here...new to area, good to know.
Alot of fish hate, heh.

Don't get me wrong. Stripers are my favorite fish, but I like big healthy ones better than anemic skinny ones.

bblbasser
11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
There's no controversy w/ stripers in my book. They just change and dominate any fishery they get into and reproduce in successfully. They are, for me, the most fun fish to catch (pull harder than any other freshwater fish in CA, never mind the mind blowing topwater blowups) in fresh water (best eatin' too). I personally don't care about the holdover trout fishery at DVL as I don't trout fish except when I have to (about 3 months out of the year in Big Bear) and THE only reason I care about trout stocking there (DVL) is that it gets the stripers and big green bass hotter than they already are for swimbaits and big topwater.

RamboBoy
11-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Uncle Taco, good job, mayne.

The fishermen people don't care they will kill the mini or dd striped bass and eat em.

They will not do to catch and release, but some people do conservatives C & R.

Again, good work Monster DD striped bass

trail blazer
11-04-2009, 08:09 PM
There's no controversy w/ stripers in my book. They just change and dominate any fishery they get into and reproduce in successfully. They are, for me, the most fun fish to catch (pull harder than any other freshwater fish in CA, never mind the mind blowing topwater blowups) in fresh water (best eatin' too). I personally don't care about the holdover trout fishery at DVL as I don't trout fish except when I have to (about 3 months out of the year in Big Bear) and THE only reason I care about trout stocking there (DVL) is that it gets the stripers and big green bass hotter than they already are for swimbaits and big topwater.

THIS IS IT IN A SINGLE POST/ B I N G O!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CONCUR!!!!!!!!!!Couldnt have said it better myself,,WTG,,,BBLBASSER

BUTTTT,,,,,Dont forget abought the mighty STEELHEAD,,,,,,When it comes to pulling and blistering runs,there hard to beat

DarkShadow
11-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Dont forget abought the mighty STEELHEAD,,,,,,When it comes to pulling and blistering runs,there hard to beat

Imagine if a bluegill got to be 40 pounds like these stripers.

Or, a 40 pound smallmouth....

Ifishtoolittle
11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Imagine if a bluegill got to be 40 pounds like these stripers.

Or, a 40 pound smallmouth....

If either of those fish got to 40lbs we'd need tuna sticks.

JigStop
11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
If not for his bordering on paranoid fear of the PIKE family, Mike Giusti, would be considered a fish expert. The striper must be caught and kept. Too many in DVL. Some lakes in Texas use gill nets to control the populations.

An excellent resource for this topic is Herman Brothers Pond Management: http://www.hbpondmanagement.com/ They basically recommend that you keep every predator fish, even in small ponds or you will not catch trophy sizes.

kwin
11-05-2009, 04:49 PM
For every one in DVL that is caught I can guarantee there are 5000 more to take it's place. I personally have seen 8000-12000 adult Stripers in one location in DVL at one time. All of these fish were 8-12 pounds (at that time). The problem is the reproductive potential of Stripers is much greater than warmwater gamefish that have parental care (i.e. beds. nests what have you). If stripers are not removed you end up with essentially "stunted" populations of small fish (see silverwood). If not enough are taken out then there is too much competition among the many small fish and their growth is inhibited. The regulations are for 10 per person per day with no size restriction for a reason. A larger bag limit is un feesible because most anglers on most days cannot catch 10. TAKE YOUR 10, MAKE TACOS, ENJOY THE TACOS, CATCH 10 MORE, REPEAT.

eddiefishtaco
11-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Stripers Bass have a hard time to reproduce at Lakes

Their eggs must be on current for like 2 days to survive

Lakes have no sustained current like a river

If the eggs hit bottom will die

stripers are not planted like trout

trout will die anyway at summer..?

just go belly up

more info

check it out

trail blazer
11-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Stripers Bass can not reproduce at Lakes

trout will die anyway at summer

just go belly up

more info

check it out

Ive heard this argument before,,,,but do you really think that all those DINK stripers in castaic/pyramid/silverwood come in from the duct<<NO WAY!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,What abought the stripers in lake san antone up by paso robles,,,,,,,,,,been 20 yrs since they put stripers in there ,,,and you can still pick up 2lbrs<BELEAVE WHAT YOU WANT TO ,,but they HAVE and ARE reproducing in the lakes mention,d ,,,JMO

cutbait
11-05-2009, 08:55 PM
I am with Trailblazer. Those dinks in Castaic are born there.

In regards to San Antonio. I was told they swim up the river and spawn in the river using it for the current you describe.

Lake Powell?

goseango
11-05-2009, 09:15 PM
12,000 8lb stipers in one location at DVL=:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

For every one in DVL that is caught I can guarantee there are 5000 more to take it's place. I personally have seen 8000-12000 adult Stripers in one location in DVL at one time. All of these fish were 8-12 pounds (at that time).

ZplugJunkie
11-05-2009, 09:43 PM
12,000 8lb stipers in one location at DVL=:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

He's not kidding, i have seen it for myself.

Thanks for your input Kwin.

I'll be sure to put my best hammering to them this year.

Take care bud

Stephen

eddiefishtaco
11-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwin View Post
I personally have seen 8000-12000 adult Stripers in one location in DVL at one time. All of these fish were 8-12 pounds (at that time).

You guys probably saw a bunch of bubbles
from the incoming water at the inlet
on your fish finder

I don't use a fish finder

eddiefishtaco
11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Ive heard this argument before,,,,but do you really think that all those DINK stripers in castaic/pyramid/silverwood come in from the duct<<NO WAY!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,What abought the stripers in lake san antone up by paso robles,,,,,,,,,,been 20 yrs since they put stripers in there ,,,and you can still pick up 2lbrs<BELEAVE WHAT YOU WANT TO ,,but they HAVE and ARE reproducing in the lakes mention,d ,,,JMO

How come there is no Dink stripers at DVL ??

we'll get them when they feed the lake with aqueduct water
watch and see

DarkShadow
11-06-2009, 10:44 AM

No dink stripers at DVL, eh?

This picture was taken at DVL about 2 weeks ago.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3088/dvldink.jpg

5" dink enough for ya?

You gonna call the picture a liar too? ;-)

cutbait
11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Never seen a striper hit a lure with his butt before!

cutbait
11-06-2009, 11:32 AM

we'll get them when they feed the lake with aqueduct water
watch and see

A few stripers squeezing through the turbines at Pyramid and Castaic I could see. Not the numbers of dinks in those lakes are getting through the hydroelectric generators

JigStop
11-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Eddie: Did you go to high school?

tenderloin
11-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Look up Willow Beach AZ. The once world famous trophy trout fishery was TOTALLY destroyed when stripers got into Lake Mojave..No ands if or buts.

The same will happen to Diamond Valley Lake. It is just a matter of time...

cutbait
11-06-2009, 02:58 PM
trout<striper

eddiefishtaco
11-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Uncle Taco, good job, mayne.

The fishermen people don't care they will kill the mini or dd striped bass and eat em.
They will not do to catch and release, but some people do conservatives C & R.
Again, good work Monster DD striped bass

Fisherman do care Rambo

Newpsrat
11-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Stripers Bass can not reproduce at Lakes

trout will die anyway at summer

just go belly up

more info

check it out

They can reproduce in lakes. The trout do not die in summer. There are holdover trout Thank you for your input.....

Newpsrat
11-07-2009, 01:25 PM
trout<striper

Native fish>highly predatory introduced fish that kill all the trout and bass.

WARRIORMIKE
11-08-2009, 04:34 AM
For every one in DVL that is caught I can guarantee there are 5000 more to take it's place.

Stripers aren't rodents. Just a nuisance :Confused:

kwin
11-08-2009, 10:31 AM
After completing the 2009 fall electrofishing survey at DVL, this year resulted in the most young of the year (YOY) striped bass that have ever been sampled at DVL. It resulted in nearly triple the amount of yoy stripers as seen previously. They were distributed throughout the entire lake. In conjunction with diminished LMB yoy over the last three years (as compared to before the H20 reduction in the lake) there is reduced competition for food & space for the yoy stripers, which will likely increase their survivability. Since little to no H2O has been brought into DVL over the last three years ( no ramp because of no water) it is HIGHLY probable they are spawning in DVL. This last striper spawn was especialy successful. All of the stripers I, BBLBASSER, ZPLUGJUNKIE & many others have seen congregating near the surface throughout the lake are attempting to spawn. Like Mike said in his prior post, it is up to the anglers to assist with the management of the striped bass in reservoirs, if you want to catch small fish, throw them back, if you want larger fish keep them & thin them out.

Quinn Granfors
Environmental Scientist
DFG Diamond Valley Lake

bblbasser
11-08-2009, 10:34 AM
After completing the 2009 fall electrofishing survey at DVL, this year resulted in the most young of the year (YOY) striped bass that have ever been sampled at DVL. It resulted in nearly triple the amount of yoy stripers as seen previously. They were distributed throughout the entire lake. In conjunction with diminished LMB yoy over the last three years (as compared to before the H20 reduction in the lake) there is reduced competition for food & space for the yoy stripers, which will likely increase their survivability. Since little to no H2O has been brought into DVL over the last three years ( no ramp because of no water) it is HIGHLY probable they are spawning in DVL. This last striper spawn was especialy successful. All of the stripers I, BBLBASSER, ZPLUGJUNKIE & many others have seen congregating near the surface throughout the lake are attempting to spawn. Like Mike said in his prior post, it is up to the anglers to assist with the management of the striped bass in reservoirs, if you want to catch small fish, throw them back, if you want larger fish keep them & thin them out.

Quinn Granfors
Environmental Scientist
DFG Diamond Valley Lake

THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! Thanks Quinn!

eddiefishtaco
11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
hahaha

what is the ramp got to do with all this ?
the lake got some water and it is all messed up
green salad everywhere and with that water came the mini stripers
no spawning there is no proof what so ever

scientist base their information on solid proof

Here's what scientist know...

The fertilized striper eggs MUST be carried by CURRENT
for 48 to 72 hours the river (or aqueduct) must be long enough
to carry these eggs.. do lakes have that kind of current?

nah

do not be fooled or brain washed

DVL was infected with water form the aqueduct and Striped bass eggs

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/striper_spawning.htm

But that is NOT the point

The point is... Release the BIG stripers to let them grow Bigger?

hook1fred
11-08-2009, 07:36 PM
hahaha

what is the ramp got to do with all this ?
the lake got some water and it is all messed up
green salad everywhere and with that water came the mini stripers
no spawning there is no proof what so ever

scientist base their information on solid proof

Here's what scientist know...

The fertilized striper eggs MUST be carried by CURRENT
for 48 to 72 hours the river (or aqueduct) must be long enough
to carry these eggs.. do lakes have that kind of current?

nah

do not be fooled or brain washed

DVL was infected with water form the aqueduct and Striped bass eggs

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/striper_spawning.htm

But that is NOT the point

The point is... Release the BIG stripers to let them grow Bigger?

sounds like kwin is a scientist (environmental scientist DVL). Might be time for you to give it up, also looks like the majority of the guys disagree with you views and plan on doing some quantity control on stripers.

kewlwhip
11-08-2009, 08:00 PM
nice DD slay eddie~!!!

KILL em ALL-
THERES MORE ANYWAYS-(stripeys that is) help bring back the "other TRUE DVL species"

eddiefishtaco
11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
sounds like kwin is a scientist (environmental scientist DVL). Might be time for you to give it up, also looks like the majority of the guys disagree with you views and plan on doing some quantity control on stripers.

sounds ?

the majority of the guys are gettink skunk on stripers

so you're rigth, why worry
if they can not catch them

have you catch one?

eddiefishtaco
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
nice DD slay eddie~!!!

KILL em ALL-
THERES MORE ANYWAYS-(stripeys that is) help bring back the "other TRUE DVL species"

Thanks dude

you now how they fight

soccerty79
11-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Eddie,

Reading your "reliable source" from an internet site..it stated that "successful reproduction occurs in a handful of RESERVOIRS and rivers in the U.S"

Hmmm...DVL is a RESERVOIR so it is possible that maybe stripers can spawn in this RESERVOIR. DVL is NOT in Arkansas. So stating that we all get our information from unreliable internet jibberish...I would tend to believe someone more who has the college education and actual hands on information about the lake being discussed. But Hey! feel free to release all the fish you want it's entirely your choice. That is what you asked in your first post. But don't get upset when three years down the road all you catch are 2 pounders and then blame DFG for not trying to take care of the problem. Then again you can go out and go for them in salt water at that time anyways. Because if So. Cal keeps using more water than what we get..DVL will be a mud puddle with no fishing anyways.

yolo
11-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Taco, you put this here too I see. Stripers spawn in our local reservoirs. Believe it!!! They need the current in rivers which are shallow. Our reservoirs are deep and can keep there eggs suspended without hitting bottom long enough to hatch. They don't need to be suspended for 36 to 48 hours. It can be as little as 24 hours or less depending on water temps. They are spwaning and have been spawning in our reservoirs for decades. Now go catch some more DD :Big Grin:

cutbait
11-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Native fish>highly predatory introduced fish that kill all the trout and bass.

Hate to tell you this, but Bass are not native to California and I would argue are more invasive than striper! Bass are in EVERY body of water unlike the striper.

I would also say that the huge majority of the trout where the striper and bass come in contact with are also not "native"

trout=bait

fishinone
11-09-2009, 11:06 AM
How is it possible to have an invasive species in a man made reservoir?

I believe that jackrabbits, lizards and rattlesnakes would qualify as non-invasive.

Even so, we need to thin the striper out. I keep as many as I can, up to my limit.

hook1fred
11-09-2009, 07:03 PM
sounds ?

the majority of the guys are gettink skunk on stripers

so you're rigth, why worry
if they can not catch them

have you catch one?

Dude seriously you NEED a spell check..... and yes i've caught my share by accident at DVL. I don't target stripers I've caught them on jerkbaits, crankbaits and topwater while fishing for largemouths. You post like your one of only a few that catch stripers, when in fact the majority of us don't bother boasting about it. It really isn't a big deal, I've caught more stripers while living and fishing in the bay area/ california delta than I care to write about. Oh yeah, looks like your scientific proof has a hole in it...

Eddie,

Reading your "reliable source" from an internet site..it stated that "successful reproduction occurs in a handful of RESERVOIRS and rivers in the U.S"

Hmmm...DVL is a RESERVOIR so it is possible that maybe stripers can spawn in this RESERVOIR. DVL is NOT in Arkansas. So stating that we all get our information from unreliable internet jibberish...I would tend to believe someone more who has the college education and actual hands on information about the lake being discussed. But Hey! feel free to release all the fish you want it's entirely your choice. That is what you asked in your first post. But don't get upset when three years down the road all you catch are 2 pounders and then blame DFG for not trying to take care of the problem. Then again you can go out and go for them in salt water at that time anyways. Because if So. Cal keeps using more water than what we get..DVL will be a mud puddle with no fishing anyways.

TroutOnly
11-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Damn, hook1fred i need spell check too but i dont use it,you smacked eddy pretty good, he means well .he doesnt know about all the others who have been killing the crap out of the big stripers out ,they just lurk on the sites looking for free info. I will have to disagree with the you thinking the dvk will be a mud puddle tho,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

cutbait
11-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Regardless of the spawn or not. Eddie is right, release the pigs! Be it Bass, Striper, Cats, Crappie..ETC.. Bring a camera and a scale. CPR {catch, photograph and release}

Let them keep spreading those genes' and those bigger fish lay tons more eggs..

RamboBoy
11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Regardless of the spawn or not. Eddie is right, release the pigs! Be it Bass, Striper, Cats, Crappie..ETC.. Bring a camera and a scale. CPR {catch, photograph and release}

Let them keep spreading those genes' and those bigger fish lay tons more eggs..

hey, better kill striper, kill striper, kill striper....eat taco and soup, lol

smokehound
11-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Stripers wont kill the lake.

In fact, stripers keep that lake beautifully balanced. While largemouth bass are good predators, and there are many large ones there, they lack the nomadic behavior that stripers have. They defend territories alot more and move less, making them ineffective at keeping baitfish populations in check. Now Stripers, on the other hand are almost tuna-like in behavior. They love to cruise around and terrorize the lake.

They are a beautiful control method for Gizzard shad, which suppress threadfin shad, which in turn, are important forage for both black basses, AND largemouth bass.

As long as you guys continue to keep good amounts of stripers, this lake will be wonderful. We are part of this ecosystem, and by preying on the stripers, it stays healthy.

eddiefishtaco
11-10-2009, 10:24 PM
see? Fisherman do care

Stripers wont kill the lake.

In fact, stripers keep that lake beautifully balanced. While largemouth bass are good predators, and there are many large ones there, they lack the nomadic behavior that stripers have. They defend territories alot more and move less, making them ineffective at keeping baitfish populations in check. Now Stripers, on the other hand are almost tuna-like in behavior. They love to cruise around and terrorize the lake.

They are a beautiful control method for Gizzard shad, which suppress threadfin shad, which in turn, are important forage for both black basses, AND largemouth bass.

As long as you guys continue to keep good amounts of stripers, this lake will be wonderful. We are part of this ecosystem, and by preying on the stripers, it stays healthy.

That's what I think, the lake has been nicely balanced for a few years
so I will release most of them BIG dd jailbirds so you can catch them and keep them if you want..
about my spelling, I type fast and do not check for any errors
or misspelling very often, sorry for the inconvenience...LOL

trail blazer
11-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Been thinking on this subject and here,s my oppinion,,,,

1st of all ,,,GREAT POST eddy!!!!!
lots to think abought here,,,lots of verriables

EAT as many dinks as we can,,,,release most DDgts to get even bigger!!!!!

Cant say that i will be releasing any DDgts or not ,but i will certanly not discount the idea:Smile:,,,,,after pics of course.

I know this post is for DVL BUT it really could apply to west coast stripers across the board

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Dude, ????????????
I’d strongly suggest boning up on your facts before you start dolling out advice to striper fisherman.

1st off, I want to point out that, it isn’t within my rights or anyone else’s for that matter to TELL ANYONE what to do with their fish so I want to be clear that this isn’t my point…

And those are some fine quality fish…I’ll congratulate you on the catches…salute !

BUT 1st off, you boast about releasing the stripers but then you right out negate that by stating that you kept 1…..

AND GAVE IT AWAY TO BOOT….. ???? WTF ? come one man, there’s something wrong with this story right from the start….

Then your under the impression that stripers don’t impact the LMB

Wrong ….(you gotta be kidding me on this one !)
….(ha ha ha-wait for a few years when the stripers REALLY dominate the species in greater #’s-you betta do more 1st hand studies rather than internet jarble)

They shred the trout population too ! (no brainer there !)

You state (or imply) that the stripers don’t eat the LMB ….wrong again, I find LMB in the stripers guts regularly (where u coming up with this ???) and this is from a lake with a great healthy population of shad…

You mention that stripers prefer shad (prefer not necessarily the right word choice).

Stripers EAT shad
Stripers Eat Trout
Stripers Eat LMB
Stripers EAT Crappie
Stripers EAT Bluegill
Stripers EAT Sculpin, etc

I think it’s just fair to say that …..STRIPERS EAT….and eat allot !

If one were to really dig into it, you could probably conclude that they prefer trout but it’s all about patterning, if a heavy shad source is available, they’ll key on shad, if a heavy trout source is available they’ll eat them, and so on and so on….so, in a lake like DVL all the above sources are available in great numbers so it’s not hard to do the math on that one.

Did you even take any time to look at the link you posted regarding striper studies….it’s from Arkansas….WTF ????? (wasting my time reading an article that is not applicable to this region)sheesh….I don’t even know what to say about that ???

One can sum this whole debauchery up by noting that you cannot apply a LMB catch and release mentality to a striped bass…

Do some accurate evaluations…

Striped Bass are BREEDING MACHINES…..they lay many eggs and the survival rates of those eggs are in scales above a LMB survival rate !

THEIR GROWTH PATTERNS ARE SIGNIFIGANTLY MORE RAPID THAN LMB

Their ability to dominate, reproduce, take over and thrive in our southern California lakes is second to none so to speak…

It’s imperitive to kill a good amount to secure the food chain, otherwise they eat and breed themselves outa the food chain making the average one real small.

By all means, release them if you choose and that’s ok if you choose but there’s nothing wrong with killing stripers, they are great to eat….BUT if your gonna kill them, I’d suggest eat them yourself rather than giving it to someone else to eat.

I’d suggest if YOUR not gonna eat it, THEN let it go.

Dam dude, I expected better from you….

Keep at the fishing, your doing well, stick to that rather than lecturing the masses on killing fish..

Kill…..em…..keel ‘em dead !

My 2 cents !
Gary

Ohh yeah and P.S.

The lake stripers reproduce in most lakes providing their is current for their eggs to survive and not silt out...most of the striper lakes do have current at many given times, there may be an exception to this at VL with recent lake level deviations but I'm sure things will get towards being back on track soon enough

lurk 182
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
shocker, a striper guy wants more striper in our local lakes. i don't care too much about trout (LMB are a different story) but Shadow laid out the biologists facts pretty clearly, these things will pretty much eliminate every other freshwater species (maybe cats and carp would make it) and pyramid and castaic are perfect examples of what they do to a LMB fishery. they need to up the limit and no minimum size. i'd prefer a must kill if caught policy, but i'd never force anyone to kill a fish. you might not be finding full grown bass in their bellies but look in June and you'll see all the bass fry you want. when T/O and Gary are saying to kill em, what's that mean?

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-17-2009, 02:39 PM
when T/O and Gary are saying to kill em, what's that mean?

That simply means....catch 'em....kill 'em....eat 'em....it's a simple circle of life and in this case it's actually keeping the eco system heathy ! and it doesnt get any more in line with mother nature at that point...thats how the entire world cycles work in many capacities....we're higher on the food chain....sorry Mr stripey

If your not gonna eat 'em....let 'em live is my aproach...

In order to keep the lake's population ballanced really all of them should die when caught but again I'll note that this is just my particular opinion and I won't stand here and tell someone else how to handle their catch, it's clearly an individuals choice

Death awaits.......ahhhh yes, I think I must take me a trip there just as soon as launching is available to make a few bleeding hearts cry.....

Beer batter is awaiting

eddiefishtaco
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
the question is release them or not
check the question marks at the title
:Popcorn:

I release some, and I also keep some, and give some away too

nothing wrong with that, I fish 4 fun

that's all

Matt_Magnone
11-17-2009, 09:19 PM
wow im amazed at this thread. pretty funny how the littlest things spark debate.

the lakes on pace to be a trophy fishery. if you all want to see the donkey's you need to keep the small and release the big. good genes are good genes. what kills me is when i see numerous 20 pound class fish leave the lake on sometimes a daily basis. we gotta let the big girls go. soon they'll be 30's and 40's. look at skinner, look at pyramid, look at silverwood. they were VERY impressive fisheries. i used to walk the shore at skinner and nab quality stripes to 25 pounds regularly in the early 90's. these lakes are all stunted now. they all have too many fish for the available water supply and forage base. yeah you still got the wise and smart goliath lurking but the sheer numbers of quality fish seem to be nowhere near how they were in the past. the greens and the stripes can co-exist we anglers just have to learn how to balance the eco system.

this is just my opinion so dont hold it sacred and pick my post apart word for word. come by the shop if you wanna talk more.

RamboBoy
11-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Simple...if they catch em, kill em, and eat em. That's their point of view and opinion that's fine. I respect to them.

Simple...if they catch em, don't eat em, picture em, and release em. That's their point of view or opinion that's fine. I respect them.

The debate is worthless, my friends.

I understand fully what Taco really wants to encourage to fishermen do to catch and release, so let the fish grow bigger, and then you will catch again later due to the hatch eggs have not been reproduce and survive at some lakes here.

BUT, BUT, BUT, I have seen lots of reports about fishermen caught many many many MINI STRIPED BASS at Castiac Lake, Pyramid Lake, Skinner Lake, Diamond Valley Lake, Silverwood Lake, and Colorado River. The fish seems much better for reproduce more fish and their eggs are survived already at the Lakes here.

My 2 cents, brah! Respect and Unity Each other as Brother fisherman and Sister fisherwoman !

Rambo, lol

Troutman65
11-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Take all of the striper.

The 10 fish limit is actually too low in the Southern District. 25 fish or unlimited makes more sense.

I agree with this.:Big Grin:

eddiefishtaco
11-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Im just glad that you guys are having fun with this thread
is kind of dumb but hey, nothing else to do
but watch the drama, save it for obama
:Popcorn:

Im released some today
I stopped by the black hole, metered them and fed them
with pieces of anchovies and trout filetes to get fat
and huge I think one of them DvL Stripers is now like 35 pounds

ib12fish
11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
I want to know if the guys that said they saw 8000-12000 stripers in DVL why in the hell I don't see them being caught, with that many stripers in the lake it should be pretty wide open fishing for stripers there, I'm not trying to piss anyone off here but the last time I went fishing there (DVL) I caught TWO stripers there (it was when you could fish in your privite boat) and I'm not a bad fisherman I can hang with the best, I'am I missing something here, with all theose stripers in there why don't the bite, can someone give me the 411 on it :Confused: Thanks

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I think one of them DvL Stripers is now like 35 pounds

Sweet...that means when I head out there it'll be at least 38.5 and I'll kill it : )

eddiefishtaco
11-18-2009, 10:27 PM
LOL

is up to you guys/girls
I know this went all over the place
but back to the subject
keeping the little ones and releasing the big ones
should be fun, to be caught again and again..:Rolls Eyes:
a 20 pounder really chews up a bass reel:Sad:
but is a fight most want to experience at freshwater

let me stir the pot again..
a female striper takes 8 years to mature?
so DVL is not 8 years old .. so the minis come from the Aqueduct?
the water level at DVL is like 10 ft higher from the aqueduct water

my July striped....(marlin) try catching that with a rattle trap

Astrolux
11-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Mr. Fishtaco, you strike me as snobby know it all. You seem to act like nobody else knows or has ever caught the amount or quality of fish you have. Plenty of men/women have equaled or surpassed your "success" on the water. And your self proclaimed knowledge of stripers is bogus, you have been proved wrong a few times in this thread but still argue. Get the facts jack. Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true. Just my two cents......but hey, who am I to talk.

Chris.

DarkShadow
11-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Nice striped marlin!!

I'll stir the pot some more.

Since I know you're a fan of conservation, i'm sure you released that bill fish, right?

Nessie Hunter
11-19-2009, 08:34 AM
LOL

so DVL is not 8 years old ..
so the minis come from the Aqueduct?

I think you may want to go back to your drawing board and get the Facts right this time..
No offense, but my research differs from yours...

It has been studied and found that its 4 to 8 yrs...

so DVL is not 8 years old ..

They started to fill the lake in 1998/1999 took 5 yrs to fill it.
Ergo Aqueduct water has been in it for 10 to 11 yrs. AND so have the Striped bass, with plenty of time to start breeding/reproducing...
(see below).

Im sure it keeps getting re-stocked from the Aqueduct also...

so the minis come from the Aqueduct?

All the Striper were introduced "originally" from the Aqueduct to 'all' of our lakes..
Before that they were brought here from the East Coast (not a West Coast fish)..
All of our lakes are Impounds, reservoirs For storage of Aqueduct water.
So Ca has no natural lakes that I know of...
A few lakes are NOT Aqueduct water, but none are natural.....
I know some one will argue this point... But name ONE that is not dammed from a creek or Stream...

But studies have also found that they (Stripers) "DO" reproduce in fresh water..
All that is needed is enough current or hard bottom to keep the free floating eggs from getting oxygen deprived for 2 or more days...
"Nature will find a way".... (Jurassic Park)...... :ROFL:

I dont understand this comment, so I have no response to it???

Pot stirring is my Forte!!! :ROFL:

sansou
11-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Okay, we got it. You once caught a big fish ocean fish.

Is the "self-esteem-o-meter" running wee low?

kwin
11-19-2009, 09:35 AM
As the biologist for DVL ( though my title is Environmental Scientist) I have pictures of the 8-12 thousand stripers, but don't have the time to figure out how to post them. I have also shocked several hundred at a time (and those were only the ones that could not avoid the boat. Trust me, they are there.

Catch & release of large striped bass at this point in the lakes evolution to enhance their size is counter productive. Not only are there ample DD stripers to replace the ones caught, striped bass are also HIGHLY susceptible to mortality caused from lactic acid build up when caught & fought for an extended period of time, particularly in warmer water.

Striped Bass do spawn in most of our socal reservoirs (Pyramid, Silverwood, Castaic, DVL & Skinner). There is sufficient current generated when water is being put into the lake(s) to suspend the slightly negatively buoyant eggs, but current is not required. This years spawn @ DVL was apparantly very successful (electrofishing survey) and there was very little water brought into the lake. Current enhances egg survival as well as flush in eggs from the aqueduct(s).

Female striper mature @ 4-6 yrs & males mature @ 2-3 with some after only 1 yr. Fecundity increases dramatically with size. An age 4 (DVL 12-15 lber) striper averages 243,000 eggs & an age 8 (DVL 30+ lber)or greater can average 1.4 million eggs. That is for ONE fish. 8-12 thousand of them....you do the math ( well roughly half that since 50/50 male/female). If 2 percent of those survive?

Throwing them back still?

There is one natural lake in Socal.....Lake Elsinore. That lake has both stripers & hybrids. The hybrids are "sterile" & the poorer than ideal H2O quality at the moment will likely make spawning unsuccessful there.

Quinn Granfors
Environmental Scientist
DFG Diamond Valley Lake

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-19-2009, 09:48 AM
As the biologist for DVL ( though my title is Environmental Scientist)

Quinn Granfors
Environmental Scientist
DFG Diamond Valley Lake

Wow, what started off as one of the most seriously off track posts that I've seen in a while, now has blossomed into one of the most informative in a long long time.

Thanks for that info Quinn, I take those pcs of info with me after I leave this post and file them in my noggin for future reference : )

I do have one question regarding the lactic acid production when the fish is stressed during a long battle.

Is it possible to elaborate on what truly causes that lactic acid output in the fish's metabolism and how that affects them, basically how does it translate into a higher mortality rate ?

REAL GREAT INFO !!!
Thank you for taking the time to post it : )
Gary

Nessie Hunter
11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Quinn Granfors
Environmental Scientist
DFG Diamond Valley Lake

WOW, very informative, thanks......

Elsinore!!!!!!
Dam I forgot about that one. I used to boat there yrs ago (70's) so I have no excuse.... :Embarrassed:

kwin
11-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Geez, I'll try,
It's been a while since I had my physiology class. The clif notes version is that stripers are a "white" muscle fish which utilizes anaerobic (without oxygen) processes which results in lactic acid as glycolysis transpires during a struggle or when actively feeding. You know "the burn" when working out, that is lactic acid. When the fish exerts effort in a prolonged struggle to free itself of your hook(s) it builds up lactic acid (if it hasn't already from feeding). All "white" muscle fish undergo this process, however for whatever reason, stripers are more susceptible to it often resulting in mortality.
"Red" muscle fish use more aerobic (oxygen) methods to keep the muscles working in a prolonged fight when hooked or feeding, whatever, which is why tuna can go on & on.
Think sprinter when referring to "white" muscle fish & marathon runner when referring to "red" muscle fish.

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Geez, I'll try,
It's been a while since I had my physiology class. The clif notes version is that stripers are a "white" muscle fish which utilizes anaerobic (without oxygen) processes which results in lactic acid as glycolysis transpires during a struggle or when actively feeding. You know "the burn" when working out, that is lactic acid. When the fish exerts effort in a prolonged struggle to free itself of your hook(s) it builds up lactic acid (if it hasn't already from feeding). All "white" muscle fish undergo this process, however for whatever reason, stripers are more susceptible to it often resulting in mortality.
"Red" muscle fish use more aerobic (oxygen) methods to keep the muscles working in a prolonged fight when hooked or feeding, whatever, which is why tuna can go on & on.
Think sprinter when referring to "white" muscle fish & marathon runner when referring to "red" muscle fish.
Beleive it or not I DO GET IT, it actually does makes sense even though you are throwing out many terminoligies I'm not very well associated with.

Basically my take on that is that the fish gets spent beyond any real level of recouperation, one might associate it with someone in a desert, exerting themselves beyond their limits where they cannot recoup and die...I do undertand that my "desert" parralel doesnt involve the lactic acid levels in the same mannerism and involve a whole list of other factors but it's the only way I could think to voice my understanding, actually things are a whole lot clearer in my cranial, I just cannot voice it (sorry I didnt take any physiology classes-wish I did).

To sum up, my take is that this lactic acid build up prohibits the stripers muscles to vent that acid in a manner that allows the fish to get refreshed quick enough before it dies…maybe “choking” the muscles ability to vent and replenish energy……since it does not rely on oxygen it’s harder to purge the impurity out of the muscle

(am I close ?? hope I’m not too far off track here –either way I do get it in theory)

Thank you…again
for the much valued info, in my never ending plight to understand fish, their behaviors and biological makeup which causes them to behave certain ways, it's imperitive to take in any and all info to compile a "master schematic" of the fish as a whole.

I for one am a wiser man from this info, I can't thank you enough.

Damn....I'd love ta fish with you someday...let me know if your ever interested in letting some feel the sometime.

Till then, by all means, please continue to chime in with your scientific knowledge and theories, thats gotta be the most valued info I've ever extracted from this site.

thanks ,
Gary

JigStop
11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Would it make sense to shock up several thousand of these fry and take them by tanker truck down to Lake Elsinore? Elsie is infested with shad and carp and they didn't run the pumps (some suspect foul play)during the late June heat wave and she suffered a massive die-off.

soccerty79
11-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Geez, I'll try,

Is your last name BOYER?
Jack Bauer

hook1fred
11-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Ok now it's pretty obvious that Mr. taco has been proven wrong ( a DVL biologist disproves his theories) and he refuses to give up, so be it. Now that the launch ramp is complete and launching will begin soon i'll be killing all the stripers that I catch.....

yolo
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Great info that totally confirms my thinking and logic about stripers being able to spawn in our reservoirs.

Do you believe me now Taco? you're still my homey :Big Grin:

eddiefishtaco
11-19-2009, 07:18 PM
And Keep on adding good information to the post guys

so don't release them?

dammit, my buddy Keene released a 15 pounder today:EyePop:

Ok dokey we will start killing them all

Top guns, fire at will !

Thanks guys for all the comments good and bad

Kareem Korn
11-19-2009, 08:11 PM
I hope I'm put in this situation tomorrow.

Keep or kill?

Depends on if my stomach is growling :Envious:

Fire Ball
11-19-2009, 08:39 PM
And Keep on adding good information to the post guys

so don't release them?

dammit, my buddy Keene released a 15 pounder today:EyePop:

Ok dokey we will start killing them all

Top guns, fire at will !

Thanks guys for all the comments good and bad

Just kill them and throw them back in the water, if you don't want them! Just kidding. :LOL:

Give them to me and I'll eat them for you, lol.

Fly Fisher
10-16-2011, 11:29 PM
i want to go sb fishing but dont know what to use as bait and dont know how to rig it at all. can any one help me with my problem? thanks so much!!!!

Godwad
10-17-2011, 12:33 AM
I heard stripers caused the housing bubble/economic crash of 2008.

mjc89
10-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Where did you dig up this ancient thread? :ROFL:

tacklejunkie
10-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Silverwood does have a river of current that flows constantly that you don't know about.
It's not coming in or out any of the pipes either.
It's not from the inlets either.
There is current in the lake.
It's either from the massive wind or something, I'm not sure.
There is a place I fish there where there is always a current to one side and my line is pulled and I'm nowhere near any pipes. There is masses of 2lb fish there all day.
Striper can spawn in Silverwood for sure and they have definitely overpopulated with dinks there.
Kill all the striper you can from Silverwood, but it's not going to help.
lol, I tried.

Gills nets MIGHT help. For a year or so..

itsagooddaytofish
10-17-2011, 06:27 AM
i think im convinced like metallica says kill em all

HawgZWylde
10-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. Seems every year or so the argument comes back up regarding the damage Striper can do to a lakes biodiversity. This one has good posts from the man who built DVL's fishery, Mike Giusti.

TJ, been awhile, how was your day with Bob at the classic?

30lber
10-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Very nice of you to release the bigger models eddie.
Some of the people on here, just pay no attention to them.
Your a sportman a true on to!
No need to be greedy and kill kill kill.
After rewiewing mr guisti report It states " its up to us anglers" meaning
if you were to fish any lake that holds stripers best to release the big ones
and keep the little ones.
I for one would rather catch and release bigger models all day than end up like
skinner catching lil guys.
What you did is RIGHT eddie!
Think about it....it would be nice fishing a lake with 10,000s of D.D. yes?
My bad if i offended anyone by calling them GREEDY!

yolo
10-17-2011, 07:56 AM
You can thank me for replenishing some of DVL, lol. I release most of my aqueduct catches, especially the 8lb to DD's and especially around spawning time. All I know is if I have enough meat in the freezer then I let em go, even if it's just 4 to 6 lbers. If I can't revive it then I keep it or give it away?

They definitely spawn in DVL and some fry make it through from the duct too.

tacklejunkie
10-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Very nice of you to release the bigger models eddie.
Some of the people on here, just pay no attention to them.
Your a sportman a true on to!
No need to be greedy and kill kill kill.
After rewiewing mr guisti report It states " its up to us anglers" meaning
if you were to fish any lake that holds stripers best to release the big ones
and keep the little ones.
I for one would rather catch and release bigger models all day than end up like
skinner catching lil guys.
What you did is RIGHT eddie!
Think about it....it would be nice fishing a lake with 10,000s of D.D. yes?
My bad if i offended anyone by calling them GREEDY!

Keep throwing 'em back and you won't be seeing the giants in DVL as much anymore.
Sure it's a sportsman thing to do but these fish when you take them, it helps the fishery bro. Wait till you see the skinny striper come to DVL. Followed by the dinks.
I give it 15 years. Seems like the sportsman thing to do would be to help the fishery and take all the striper you can to keep the big ones coming.

Definitely let them go if the freezer is full though. No need to waste anything.

Don't throw back the large ones thinking you are preserving large genes. Any striper can get huge he just has to live out his life and eat.

30lber
10-17-2011, 08:44 AM
wow im amazed at this thread. pretty funny how the littlest things spark debate.

the lakes on pace to be a trophy fishery. if you all want to see the donkey's you need to keep the small and release the big. good genes are good genes. what kills me is when i see numerous 20 pound class fish leave the lake on sometimes a daily basis. we gotta let the big girls go. soon they'll be 30's and 40's. look at skinner, look at pyramid, look at silverwood. they were VERY impressive fisheries. i used to walk the shore at skinner and nab quality stripes to 25 pounds regularly in the early 90's. these lakes are all stunted now. they all have too many fish for the available water supply and forage base. yeah you still got the wise and smart goliath lurking but the sheer numbers of quality fish seem to be nowhere near how they were in the past. the greens and the stripes can co-exist we anglers just have to learn how to balance the eco system.

this is just my opinion so dont hold it sacred and pick my post apart word for word. come by the shop if you wanna talk more.

Wow..great point matt.
2 thumbs up.

K.C.K.
10-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Wow..great point matt.
2 thumbs up.

I have to Agree Leave the big girls to grow bigger and kill as many schoolies and rats that you can.
Even if I'm not going to keep them myself I always take a limit of small to medium size fish and I will give them to someone that got skunked or fishing on the shore. Big fish are normally eating big fish the big girls are not cruising with the schools decimating bait fish, they will usually sit in a hole or slowly crusing on structure or the tulies waiting for that 1 lb trout or bluegill to swim by, kind of like a great white in the kelp beds.. sure they will eat shad when they are desperate.
Skinners problem and soon to be DVLs is that those Berserker schools can decimate a school of shad in a matter of minutes.

K.C.KGB baits

tacklejunkie
10-17-2011, 12:39 PM
It seems to me keeping the schoolies only wont help.
You need to keep the egglayers to slow production to lessen population and create larger fish. Keep them all.
Any given stripey has the potential to be a DD.

I don't even think that helps. Silverwood is choked with 8-15" fish.
Bring nightcrawlers and you should limit.
Might get one LMB between the cloud sometimes.
More likely a 14" hookjaw trout that eats swimbaits.

The reason Silverwood actually does have holdover trout still is because of all the small striper and tons of gammarus.
Yes there is big ones but a big trout has an easier time hiding against a bunch of small striper I'd imagine.
I can catch huge trout all summer between the striper on nightcrawlers.

There's no way the bigger striper in silverwood are full of gammarus. lol
I'm pretty sure big stripey in Silverwood eats small stripey.
Silverwoods #1 abundance.

I saw a few very large trout in DVL early this year that would lead me to believe there is holdovers in there still also. They were chasing the stocker trout around and my swimbaits.
There's a lot of Dam in DVL for a trout to hide in. Skyler and I have seen 16" trout in 1" of water like nobody would believe chillin' and playing and frolicking around.

Never seen anything that looked like a brown trout anywhere near Silverwood.

Have heard stories and seen carcasses of toad stripey though.

Seen nice size bass chasing trout too. Caught a trout out of a bass' mouth once on a nightcralwer.

seal
10-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Silverwood has no stripers of size and no holdover trout, I don't know what those little things swimming in all the creeks are though, couldn't be trout fry from last year.

I am sorry but I'm catching more larger model stripers than schoolies this year, early season I did run into the 1-2 lbs schools but haven't been on that in a while.

It's amazing how many different takes from really knowledgable anglers are out there.

Great discussions, I have no idea why anybody would ever get worked up about it, we're all full of crap.....

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-17-2011, 04:42 PM
I think some may be becoming blinded by the facts..

An 8-10 lb striper potentially and most likely DOES lay in upwards of a million eggs..

Being broadcast spawners the survival rate is extremely high…as long as the current conditions are acceptable and the eggs do not reach bottom and silt out and die which we already know is not happening in this case.

One must wrap their heads around the fact that stripers are originally a saltwater species bred to spawn in some of the most severe saltwater conditions..

So with that being said their spawn patterns and behavior is that of a “survivor” place then in less harsh conditions that of a lake and they will OVER-populate as we often do see…

Leaving the larger ones consciously will not resolve the longstanding issues of overpopulation, in fact is most likely has the reverse affect being as they lay the most eggs.

I don’t want to come off wrong and No I am not professing to be a biologist but I have done my research regarding reproductive patterns of both Stripers and largemouth..

Applying the approach that of releasing the larger brood stock as we do with largemouth does not hold water especially when it’s an apple and orange scenario comparing a LMB reproductive cycle to a striper….there is a reason the LMB struggle for a high survival rate of spawn and that’s to keep the eco system in balance.

The stripers are in a class themselves as they were not born into a freshwater environment..

It’s my thoughts that ea. Angler should practice: “

Large or small…they all must fall”

but I’m not trying to preach anything here rather than to educate so ea. Individual may make a more educated decision on their own, as always it’s ea. Anglers decision on how to proceed…

My two cents..

Gary

TUNAVIC
10-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Incredible! I just want to catch one!

fshnritchey
10-17-2011, 08:48 PM
LOL

is up to you guys/girls
but back to the subject

Dvl started getting its water from the Colorado river in 1999 check your facts

yolo
10-17-2011, 10:17 PM
One must wrap their heads around the fact that stripers are originally a saltwater species bred to spawn in some of the most severe saltwater conditions..

I don’t want to come off wrong and No I am not professing to be a biologist but I have done my research regarding reproductive patterns of both Stripers and largemouth..

The stripers are in a class themselves as they were not born into a freshwater environment..

Gary

Stripers are anadromous. They spawn in fresh water. They are also born in fresh water. Maybe some more research is in order?

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Stripers are anadromous. They spawn in fresh water. They are also born in fresh water. Maybe some more research is in order?
Dude you are a retard, you know what I mean, I know they spawn in lakes and feshwater, I meant their original origin...sheet man you got a stick up your arse !

U got issues...didn'
t know I had to spoon feed details in a novel...you want to spell check my post for me too ?

sheet...

TroutOnly
10-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Man you guys dont get it,theres bigass stripers are in all the lakes,the big boys only feed at night ,daylight light nears and they move out and down, most of the big ones are caught at the lakes that you can access at night. Look at the big ones back east coast are at night fishing live eels,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3olber -slash-dodo,,,,,,,,,,i like the smack you guys talk on that other website,,,,,,,,,,

yolo
10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Dude you are a retard, you know what I mean, I know they spawn in lakes and feshwater, I meant their original origin...sheet man you got a stick up your arse !

U got issues...didn'
t know I had to spoon feed details in a novel...you want to spell check my post for me too ?

sheet...
Retard? Really? Never questioned whether they spawned in lakes too. I have been blowing that horn forever. It's the other stuff you wrote. I highlighted it in black for a reason. Now you want to name call then yes your statements were actually retarded. You wrote them, retard.

No matter how you want to manipulate it, "spawn in some of the most severe saltwater conditions" is just plain false. Your words, not mine.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Retard? Really? Never questioned whether they spawned in lakes too. I have been blowing that horn forever. It's the other stuff you wrote. I highlighted it in black for a reason. Now you want to name call then yes your statements were actually retarded. You wrote them, retard.

No matter how you want to manipulate it, "spawn in some of the most severe saltwater conditions" is just plain false. Your words, not mine.LMAO…

If one wants to split the hairs….which you appear to want to do consistently..

(which again you knew very well what my intended point was in the original statement was but still chose to attempt to discredit me)

Your comments are also false when applying them to the topic of discussion, that of the lake oriented fish…if one wants to pick pick pick….

Saying they are: “anadromous” just isn’t so…so since your google button is on your favorites list….I thought I’d follow suit and give you the definition put in black and white terms which in the real world doesn’t always apply..

But here in the post some don’t exist in the real world..

So here you go:

Definition of ANADROMOUS
: ascending rivers from the sea for breeding

So these fish that dwell and breed in the lakes are coming from the ocean according to your previous statements……..

Hmn…

I guess they are more creative than I thought : )

Just a perfect example how things…taken out of context can be distorted to whatever distorted viewpoint one individual has….

Have a great day…
Gary

yolo
10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
LMAO…

If one wants to split the hairs….which you appear to want to do consistently..

(which again you knew very well what my intended point was in the original statement was but still chose to attempt to discredit me)

Your comments are also false when applying them to the topic of discussion, that of the lake oriented fish…if one wants to pick pick pick….

Saying they are: “anadromous” just isn’t so…so since your google button is on your favorites list….I thought I’d follow suit and give you the definition put in black and white terms which in the real world doesn’t always apply..

But here in the post some don’t exist in the real world..

So here you go:

Definition of ANADROMOUS
: ascending rivers from the sea for breeding

So these fish that dwell and breed in the lakes are coming from the ocean according to your previous statements……..

Hmn…

I guess they are more creative than I thought : )

Just a perfect example how things…taken out of context can be distorted to whatever distorted viewpoint one individual has….

Have a great day…
Gary

Helloooo, lol. You mentioned the saltwater spawning. I know the definition of anadromous. Hence the word I used because of your saltwater mention. Wow it all makes sense now. Kind of a roundabout way to get to it but I think we managed? So in the end, yes stripers are anadromous. They go up from the saltwater (ocean) to freshwater to spawn and they are also born in that freshwater. Why didn't you say so from the beginning?

Have a nice tweek, I mean week.

trail blazer
10-18-2011, 01:54 PM
keep throwing 'em back and you won't be seeing the giants in dvl as much anymore.
Sure it's a sportsman thing to do but these fish when you take them, it helps the fishery bro. Wait till you see the skinny striper come to dvl. Followed by the dinks.
I give it 15 years. Seems like the sportsman thing to do would be to help the fishery and take all the striper you can to keep the big ones coming.

Definitely let them go if the freezer is full though. No need to waste anything.

Don't throw back the large ones thinking you are preserving large genes. Any striper can get huge he just has to live out his life and eat.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kill/kill/kill/kill/kill,,,,,,slayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyy!

30lber
10-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Ladys ladys paleeeeeze calm down.
We have organized a plan!!!
Theres no more fish at d.v.l. Skinner. Castaic.or silverwood.
You must get your access pass now to fish other available lakes.
Everyone with their names starting with A to M will be directed to fish Mc carther park.
Everyone with their names starting with N to Z will be directed to legg lake.

Were going to drain out all the lakes posted above.
Theres only 200 tickets left.

30lber
10-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Man you guys dont get it,theres bigass stripers are in all the lakes,the big boys only feed at night ,daylight light nears and they move out and down, most of the big ones are caught at the lakes that you can access at night. Look at the big ones back east coast are at night fishing live eels,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3olber -slash-dodo,,,,,,,,,,i like the smack you guys talk on that other website,,,,,,,,,,

I read alot of smack talking here to!!!! ,,,,,,,,Trout -slash- only,,,,,,,,,,.

Stormcrow
10-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Just to make a few points here:

Striped bass are classified in an entirely different phyla than Largemouth. Comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.
They have a hugely disproportionate reproductive success, growth and metabolism rate compared to Largemouth.
They have an instinctual advantage affording them a far wider niche for resource utilization compared to Largemouth.
In a lake with LIMITED RESOURCES, Striped bass are simply better competitors in an environment where carrying capacity is a finite number.
Too many Striped Bass hurts BOTH Largemouth AND Striped Bass populations.
DO YOU WANT MORE TROPHY SIZED LARGEMOUTH, SMALLMOUTH AND STRIPERS??? CULL OUT ALL SCHOOLIES....MAKE TACOS...BBQ....STEW....SOUP....SUSHI....DOGFOOD... ETC.

Its really that simple and there is a multitude of research supporting the notion.

DarkShadow
10-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Stripers don't spawn in reservoirs.

Stormcrow
10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Stripers don't spawn in reservoirs.

No, in CA they most likely spawn in the aquaduct system or the Delta as they need moving water...

But their highly successful fenducity still has an impact at DVL.

DarkShadow
10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
No, in CA they most likely spawn in the aquaduct system or the Delta as they need moving water...

Riddle me this, CrowMan:

FACT: DVL stopped receiving water from both the California Aquaduct (due to lawsuits regarding the Delta Smelt) and from Arizona (due to the quagga mussels), thus the dramatic drop in water level during 2009.

FACT: When DFG biologists did sample surveys at DVL, YEARS after water stopped being pumped into the lake, they found striper fry.

QUESTION: If no water from anywhere was coming into DVL from either the 'Duct nor Arizona, how did these striper fry end up in the lake years after any water was coming into the lake?

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Helloooo, lol. You mentioned the saltwater spawning. I know the definition of anadromous. Hence the word I used because of your saltwater mention. Wow it all makes sense now. Kind of a roundabout way to get to it but I think we managed? So in the end, yes stripers are anadromous. They go up from the saltwater (ocean) to freshwater to spawn and they are also born in that freshwater. Why didn't you say so from the beginning?

Have a nice tweek, I mean week.

Fail !

Try again

yolo
10-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Fail !

Try again

Failure !!!

seal
10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Riddle me this, CrowMan:

FACT: DVL stopped receiving water from both the California Aquaduct (due to lawsuits regarding the Delta Smelt) and from Arizona (due to the quagga mussels), thus the dramatic drop in water level during 2009.

FACT: When DFG biologists did sample surveys at DVL, YEARS after water stopped being pumped into the lake, they found striper fry.

QUESTION: If no water from anywhere was coming into DVL from either the 'Duct nor Arizona, how did these striper fry end up in the lake years after any water was coming into the lake?

Striper need flow, Aquaduct's have flow going in and coming out, some years water level is more consistent and may not flow when stripey wants to spawn so therefore not good spawn years, other years works being done on the Duct then they turn on the spigot to fill back up nice flow then, some years it rains a lot reservoirs with decent size creeks that have big channel's dugout (Silverwood) would possibly have the flow necessary.

But once again personal observation of tons of striper fry this year all over the lake not just at the inlet where they would come from the Duct would have no merit huh?

The Shadow know's!

Geraldlim
10-18-2011, 03:57 PM
I could go with releasing BIG stripers to promote a trophy striper fishery - gives me more chances to catch my first 20 plus pounder.
However I'm not sure biologically it makes the most sense if you want to control striper overpopulation since they have the most eggs by far.

Kwin (DFG biologist in charge of DVL and other areas) mentioned at the Last Chance talk earlier this year that he sampled and found young-of-the-year fry (fry hatched within past the year i.e. less than a year old) during the period when there had been no water flowing into DVL at all the past year.
I.e. they DID spawn successfully IN DVL that year (and according to him, every year).

Apparently wind generated currents are sufficient for successful spawning to occur.

seal
10-18-2011, 04:01 PM
I could go with releasing BIG stripers to promote a trophy striper fishery - gives me more chances to catch my first 20 plus pounder.
However I'm not sure biologically it makes the most sense if you want to control striper overpopulation since they have the most eggs by far.

Kwin (DFG biologist in charge of DVL and other areas) mentioned at the Last Chance talk earlier this year that he sampled and found young-of-the-year fry (fry hatched within past the year i.e. less than a year old) during the period when there had been no water flowing into DVL at all the past year.
I.e. they DID spawn successfully IN DVL that year (and according to him, every year).

Wow now we need to start this discussion over, no flow needed huh? I'd bet there's some water at some point moving that created the necessary flow but some years probably better spawn's then other years, kind of like most other freshwater fish, no I mean anadromous fish, or are they saltwater fish, damn I'm confused.

TroutOnly
10-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Hey dodo i'm a paying sponser on this site and friends with the owner and mods, i just call it as i see it ,i practice c and r but i dont practice p-c not even a little,,,,,,youre right d/s they dont spawn in the dvl,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,

30lber
10-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I gotta a wierd thought.
Maybe when the eggs land down on silt the catfish swallows
the eggs in there bellys for incibation?.

30lber
10-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Hey dodo i'm a paying sponser on this site and friends with the owner and mods, i just call it as i see it ,i practice c and r but i dont practice p-c not even a little,,,,,,youre right d/s they dont spawn in the dvl,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,

What do pc stand for?.

Stormcrow
10-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Riddle me this, CrowMan:

I dont know....

Unless there was water coming into DVL at times that we didnt know about. Thats a bizarre observation. I find it very interesting. I would love to know the answer to that!

And to the other guy...TO is a pretty darn straight shooter if you ask me. Darn well bet I respect his opinion whether its popular or not...and I know alot of others do too.

seal
10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
I dont know....

Unless there was water coming into DVL at times that we didnt know about. Thats a bizarre observation. I find it very interesting. I would love to know the answer to that!

And to the other guy...TO is a pretty darn straight shooter if you ask me. Darn well bet I respect his opinion whether its popular or not...and I know alot of others do too.

I'm thinking TO is the most acurate shooter on the board, kiss'n butt now.......

phantom 34
10-18-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm thinking TO is the most acurate shooter on the board, kiss'n butt now.......

nope!darkshadow is more accurate than all......kiss'n butt too.......

TroutOnly
10-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Sorry d/s i was talking b/s they do spawn in the res,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and these lakes do have very large fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dodo keep talking smack and you will be instinct like the dodo-bird,,,,,,,,,,,,,

tacklejunkie
10-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Silverwood has no stripers of size and no holdover trout
Both incorrect IMO. Of course, no offense meant..

The holdovers have nothing to do with the creeks. I catch them near the dam.
Between the clouds of striper.

Unless they are stocking the wood year round.
Trout do make it all through the year in the 'Wood.

Doesn't mean a population of browns wasn't wiped by stripey. Lol again look at DVL for that one.
How long it's been since somebody caught a brown outta there. They still stock it, they stop stocking in summer, and trout make it year round in there. I see them.

If there used to be Holdovers in Perris and now there isn't and all the sudden lots of Striper showing up more often now...
I'm starting to think it wasn't the draw down.

Fish must be going through constant ever changing warzone environments down there 24/7.
No wonder it's hard to catch them sometimes. They're probably always distracted.
Has to be a good day for everyone to be sitting around down there lazin' and curious and happy and ready to eat.

fish-o-haulic
10-18-2011, 09:39 PM
I gotta ask do stripers eat browns. From what i understand browns get pretty much every bit as big and fight almost as hard as stripers. I also heard they can be somewhat aggressive at times. But i dont know jack about browns. I know they spook easy but thats it.

Kareem Korn
10-19-2011, 06:13 AM
Do you really think that when they say that their not getting any water in the inlet that that means 0 GPM? That's funny. Like they shut a valve and theres no leak. Everything seals perfectly. The gates have no debri in the track, the seals are all perfect. Nothing, absolutly not a trickle getting by. I think you give the engineers, contractors, and manufacture of the equiptment too much credit. You need to step into my world and see what I deal with.

You guys crack me up. Everyone knows something about nothing.

DarkShadow
10-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Maybe when the eggs land down on silt the catfish swallows
the eggs in there bellys for incibation?.

I think we've solved the mystery on how the stripers spawn in DVL.

seal
10-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Both incorrect IMO. Of course, no offense meant..

The holdovers have nothing to do with the creeks. I catch them near the dam.
Between the clouds of striper.

Unless they are stocking the wood year round.
Trout do make it all through the year in the 'Wood.

Doesn't mean a population of browns wasn't wiped by stripey. Lol again look at DVL for that one.
How long it's been since somebody caught a brown outta there. They still stock it, they stop stocking in summer, and trout make it year round in there. I see them.

If there used to be Holdovers in Perris and now there isn't and all the sudden lots of Striper showing up more often now...
I'm starting to think it wasn't the draw down.

Fish must be going through constant ever changing warzone environments down there 24/7.
No wonder it's hard to catch them sometimes. They're probably always distracted.
Has to be a good day for everyone to be sitting around down there lazin' and curious and happy and ready to eat.

Oops that was complete sarcasm TJ! The comment re: fish in creeks is that there is a very good holdover population that spawns, some years better than others, last year the spawn due to heavy rain and creek flow made for little baby trout swimming in some very skinny water. Thankfully just when things were almost completely dry we had that recent rain and filled their little pools up hopefull to have them live and prosper.

Yes recent stockers spawn also but the 2-3 year Silverwood fish will spawn each year in the same areas, hell they went way up creek last year in multiple streams not just the bigger streams either.

I have caught not just plenty of holdovers but many trout that were born and raised in Silverwood and it's feeder creeks, you easlily can tell the difference, I know you are aware of this too.

I love that lake!

seal
10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
You guys crack me up. Everyone knows something about nothing.

It's called conjecture or ignorance or just having some fun with a subject we all love. If any of these guys (including myself) think they actually do have all the answers then they are smoking too much of mother nature.

eddiefishtaco
10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
DVL is a reservoir, not a lake,
it gets water from aqueducts, pipes, and so on
and that water comes loaded with striped bass
in all stages.

the reproducing is happening before the water enters the lake
trying to keep a reservoir from stripers may not be easy

scott e
10-27-2011, 09:11 PM
DVL is a reservoir, not a lake,
it gets water from aqueducts, pipes, and so on
and that water comes loaded with striped bass
in all stages.

the reproducing is happening before the water enters the lake
trying to keep a reservoir from stripers may not be easy

If that were the case, Perris would be loaded with em too, but it's not.

eddiefishtaco
10-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Remember this post is about releasing the BIG or not the

b
I
g

stripers

not the minis

Godwad
10-28-2011, 04:11 PM
If you have a giant body of water hundreds of feet deep (in some areas) and miles long with a variety of different water temperatures, can't a current develop from those factors?

bigb8er
10-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Too lazy to read all the posts but mike guisti said it best. There are already hundreds of thousands of fingerling striper. Kill all striper for their own sake.

bigb8er
10-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Too lazy to read all the posts but mike guisti said it best. There are already hundreds of thousands of fingerling striper. Kill all striper for their own sake.

superbigfish
10-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I unfortunate the way some people talk, especially when they are a sponsor representing this site.

30lber
10-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Save the d.d.!!!!!
Im rooting for you taco.

heydaad
10-28-2011, 08:44 PM
The Striped Bass is the Apex Predator in DVL. LMB bass have no chance against them. Eat as many as you want, give them to your neighbors, if you don't ... we'll see then end of DVL as a premier LMB lake. Period. I've seen what happened at Skinner and Castaic, don't be misled by any BS. Stripers are bad for the fishery.

outcast16
10-28-2011, 09:05 PM
know buddy wants too mention all the idiots that were keeping limits off holdover trout. im talking 5 to 6 retards on a pawntoon trolling leadcore with needlefish dragging them in on metal stringers. stripers dont eat 6 to 8lb trout. And now some idiot is going to tell me stripers dont eat bluegill lolololololo large mouth dont eat bluegill either right! haaaaaaaaaaaaaa, a nd if you want to talk about fish destroying silverwood ya lets ask the old timers that would meat hunt everything insight dragging tons of dd out day after day. i like how all these guys cry about not being able to catch big bass. how about trying something other than a 4inch plastice margarita super dupper oxblood with silver flake with a hint of pink.

SEA ADDICTION
10-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Keep what your going to eat and release the rest. Let nature take its course. I was out the other day and released 7 dd stripers and gave one away that inhaled my triple trout. Also released 2 lmb 5 and 8 lbs to. Stripers are better eating and personally I think, More fun to catch.

KID CREOLE
10-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Keep what your going to eat and release the rest. Let nature take its course. I was out the other day and released 7 dd stripers and gave one away that inhaled my triple trout. Also released 2 lmb 5 and 8 lbs to. Stripers are better eating and personally I think, More fun to catch.

Only problem with that SEA ADDICTION is that striper are not naturally a fresh water fish.

The stripers have ruined, Powell, Mead , Havasu, Castaic, Pyramid and Skinner. Kill your legal limit!

fish-o-haulic
10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
you guys say ruined like striper are a plague. i say as long as there are striper around who needs other fish. I mean come on Lmb just a way for lure companies to make alot of money, stocker trout who needs em. Bluegill and crappie, undersized lmb. As long as there are cats and stripers in the world who needs any other freshwater fish. LOOOOOL JK hahaha.

HawgStalker
11-04-2011, 06:02 PM
MDK on all stripers!!!!!!

KILL EM ALL, KILL EM ALL, KILL EM ALL!

eddiefishtaco
11-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Striper do NOT reproduce at diamond valle lake

Heres a bed time story..

Are you tucked in? a female striped bass leaves the ocean, do you know how deep is the ocean?
ever fished there?
her eggs can float easily in there, why does she leaves the ocean ?
-the water must be just right- current, oxigenation, salination-
she moves into a river and goes up current, male striped bass follow her...
but she won't release the eggs until she is sure that the eggs will float down current,
for at least..how many hours? 48? ..or else the eggs will die, if they touch bottom,
so she keeps o moving up current for days, when she is ready, the male striped bass will bump
into her until she lets go the eggs, that will go down current, and the baby stripers will travel down
into our reservoirs, yes like dvL, and all our reservoirs loaded with baby stripers.

the big stripers at the reservoirs can not reproduce. period.
the male stripers will bump into a female but she won't release the eggs
because there is lack of current and salination, ask any real fish biologist.
the water is NOT right. special conditions are needed

its is NOT the small stripers that eat their food and kills them big stripers or largemouth,
there is Plenty of food. it is Us who have been killing the big ones,
limiting the chance of other fisherman to catch a prize striped bass.
and I see people keeping huge largemouth, they are NOT sport fisherman.

Yes I kill some and give them away, but lately I have been releasing the big ones,
3 big stripers last week at another lake, I am 100% sure the bigger of them was caught before,
maybe by you, and you gave me the chance to have fun, and it was a great fight

I released them 3 to give another sport fisherman a chance to enjoy our sport,
or a starving fisherman something to eat.

sportfishing is not about killing them, we fish just for sport, I think that
the smaller stripers can be lots of trouble, but not the big ones,
they are harmless, fun to play with and can NOT reproduce at our reservoirs.

but the reservoirs get flooded with the babys
remember that

release the big ones so we can play with them again
and again, - keep your minis.

good night sweet prince/princess.

30lber
11-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Gooooooooooooo taco.
Give me an S....S
Give me a T....T
Give me an I.....I
huuuuraaaaaaay tacoooooo.

Big Daddy
11-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Gooooooooooooo taco.
Give me an S....S
Give me a T....T
Give me an I.....I
huuuuraaaaaaay tacoooooo.

I think this thing you and taco have going on is getting a little creeeepy. I am not sure which of you is the prince and which is the princess or if you guy's trade off but it's definatly getting real wierd though.

30lber
11-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Dont take it to serious big daddy.
Taco and i have been long time friends.
Hes a really good angler and very well educated.
Hes probably one of the best guy to hang around with.
1/2 the time i dont understand what he typed...but who cares!!
I know what he means by it and its all good on my books.

seal
11-07-2011, 07:33 AM
I think this thing you and taco have going on is getting a little creeeepy. I am not sure which of you is the prince and which is the princess or if you guy's trade off but it's definatly getting real wierd though.

I was invited once but am not into the 3some thing.

Big Daddy
11-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Funny I guess its time to just go fish. Good luck out there guy's.

TroutOnly
11-07-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm calling bull/s/h/i/t that the stripers dont spawn in the res. Ive caught too many spawning stripers out in the middle of the lake at the surface or close too it letting eggs and spooge go. If that were true then how does a res like san antonio which gets no water from a duct or river a pure rain water lake and the fish have been reproducing for 40 yrs,same with the dvl caught fish out in the deep near the surface doing the same thing, text book ocean stripers go to the rivers but fresh water stripers are different, put down what ever youre smoking cause youve got it all wrong,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

30lber
11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I believe the stripers do spawn.
The big question is Will the eggs hatch?
I give it a 50/50 on the positive side.

30lber
11-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Yes...if your providing the beer.lol

fishinone
11-07-2011, 10:02 AM
The striper might spawn more than once a year in the lake. Two weeks ago the fish we caught seemed to be having a marvelous time.

DarkShadow
11-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Striper do NOT reproduce at diamond valle lake

Wow, I thought this was done and over with.

Maybe we can have you read the following and perhaps answer it, since it seems you suffer from selective reading.

FACT: When DFG biologists did sample surveys at DVL, YEARS after water stopped being pumped into the lake, they found LARGE amounts of striper fry.

QUESTION: If no water from anywhere was coming into DVL from either the 'Duct nor Arizona, how did these striper fry end up in the lake years after NO water was coming into the lake?

We'll make it easy for you, and make it multiple choice.

You can either choose between A or B.

A. The striper fry got in there magically.

B. The striper fry got in there because they spawned in the lake.

fish-o-haulic
11-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Its funny how he says striper dont reproduce at dvl when the only other way they could get in there is if someone was hoarding thousands of striper from one lake to the next.

DarkShadow
11-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Its funny how he says striper dont reproduce at dvl when the only other way they could get in there is if someone was hoarding thousands of striper from one lake to the next.

You see, Mr.FishTaco has the tendency to ignore facts, and would rather wait until some weak argument is thrown into the mix, so that he can attack that instead. I'm still wondering what his answer is to my statement about NO water being put into DVL for a greater part of 2.5 years, and at the tail end of that, there being hundreds of thousands striper fry into the mix.

Apparently the logic part of the brain wasn't developed, because according to his logic, this only means that these fry came into the lake YEARS ago when water was still being pumped in, and then magically found a way to remain the size of fry for 2 years plus.

I cannot WAIT to hear his response, but something tells me he'll either

1. Ignore it.

2. Argue semantics, like, "There was a trickle of water coming in, and that MUST have been the way hundreds of thousands striper fry entered the lake."

Cmon Taco, I can't wait for your response so that hole you're digging becomes even deeper.

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Wow, I thought this was done and over with.

Maybe we can have you read the following and perhaps answer it, since it seems you suffer from selective reading.

FACT: When DFG biologists did sample surveys at DVL, YEARS after water stopped being pumped into the lake, they found LARGE amounts of striper fry.

QUESTION: If no water from anywhere was coming into DVL from either the 'Duct nor Arizona, how did these striper fry end up in the lake years after NO water was coming into the lake?

We'll make it easy for you, and make it multiple choice.

You can either choose between A or B.

A. The striper fry got in there magically.

B. The striper fry got in there because they spawned in the lake.

Jeez….seems like “groundhog day”

Beat that already rotting horse….

I am inclined to go with “A” as I think that would simply quell all disputes…

so what if one cannot digest the pertinent information…

In fact if one doesn’t understand…… it simply is their loss in the never ending world of knowledge needed to understand fish behavior..

U can lead a horse to water (after u’ve beaten it 12 times) but U can’t make it drink.

If “A” weren’t an option, I’d suggest that nature finds a way (i.e. Jurasic Park) !

If an additional option “C” were available ..

(and remember this folks…when in doubt…choose “C”)

In theory, this species could lay over deep water and eggs still remain adrift to hatch…much like we’ve seen them spawn at Pyramid lake by the big white bouy when they do not move the water….

By all means many other means of currents can happen
(and we won’t go through all those again either)

Either way…..

Believe what you want….

The mystical potato head groove thing is happening…no matter how U want to chalk it up…

(to the peanut gallery)

feel free to pick my words apart….
Bottom line is …they are spawning and we don’t need any biological survey’s to let us know that either…

it’s old news !

if one takes the data from other lakes and the current state of the fishery in question it’s a “no brainer”

Still like the Harry potter swirl of the magic wand theory…I think that one makes the most sense !

Maybe the keebler elves have a hand in it ?

Cangler
11-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Yay ! A 2009 thread revival party ..

DarkShadow
11-07-2011, 03:52 PM
FishTaco has a nomination for the weekly troll award.

Unfortunately, the only trolling he knows is at DVL, which makes me think he actually believes what he types.

fish-o-haulic
11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
To say striper don't spawn in res. is a lie and the truth is not within the person who said it. Like one said earlier San antonio is a prime example of this but yet taco does not wish to address the flaw that has been found in his words. Now to the matter of throwing back stripers all who are for it say I. Owe what's this three people said I, well then all opposed say neigh. Oh looks like every fnn member and there horse opposes so throwing back striper is a no go. Good night everybody, now let's leave this thread to it's eternal slumber.

eddiefishtaco
11-07-2011, 04:53 PM
FishTaco has a nomination for the weekly troll award.

Unfortunately, the only trolling he knows is at DVL, which makes me think he actually believes what he types.

I see You don't know fishing, other wise, you'll keep qiiet
about talking about people you dont know.

Trolling is not just dragging lures, boy.
I am lucky to have landed marlin, sailfish, Dorado, rooster,
big tunas and many more species using trolling techniques
I like pakulas on the spread on top, and even live skipjack
right at the thermocline.. umbrellas? 10 years ago introduce them
to some friends in here, we used to sew balihoo instead of lures.
dont know these?
go fish

DarkShadow
11-07-2011, 04:56 PM

dont know these?
go fish

I cannot WAIT to hear his response, but something tells me he'll either

1. Ignore it.

2. Argue semantics

Those that put your money on #2, please collect your money from the Sportsbook.

Pssst, Taco...There are some questions I asked for you to respond. We're still anxiously waiting on your conclusion on how fry got into DVL without any water being pumped in.

But feel free to continue arguing on how you can catch Dorado, bud. That's REALLY pertinent to the discussion at hand.

30lber
11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
There,z no more stripers at dvl.

You all can go home now.
Lets break up the crowd before it get worst.
You 3...go to the right!
You 2...go to the left!
The rest of youz just stand back...
I sure like to hear what taco has to say about all this.
Ooooops...okay....popcorn in the microwave...okay...proceed.

Yall be easy on my friend now.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=SpQu5lg9i7Q

fish-o-haulic
11-07-2011, 06:07 PM

dont know these?
go fish

really though cool way to dodge the subject. talk about saltwater that has nothing to do with dvl let alone freshwater. I too would like to see how you answer how they got in there. P.S. I dont think they got there by going off subject about marlin and dorado. We have a saltwater section for that. Check it out sometime.

30lber
11-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Paging taco....

LoL

yolo
11-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Taco, taco, taco. We went through this a couple of years ago. Yes stripers can and will spawn in the larger, deeper reservoirs. Some years are better than others. The DVL example has been beat to death when no water was coming in and there were fry and juvenile stripers found by the DFG biologist at DVL that used to post on here. The constant and key is that the stripers spawn in freshwater both from the ocean going up rivers or in a landlocked lake that is already freshwater. BELIEVE IT!

fish-o-haulic
11-07-2011, 09:43 PM
I think he realized he was horribly wrong and is now not going to post back. If he does post back he use the excuse that he no longer wants to argue with us yada yada yada when its really just a cover story so he can walk away from more humiliation not looking like a complete retard. Or so he thinks.

eddiefishtaco
11-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Kids the ocean is deep enough, however the striper chooses to look for current, why?
that current is more important than you think.

Now, DVL got so much water that is hard to believe, a lot of water
how much water they got? 4 square miles times 70 ft, do the math.
yes with fry in it and eggs and lots of minis .

Right now skinner is getting a lot, I mean a lot of 1 pounders, boils everywhere
go fish

In the east coast, texas is the only state that does not get stripers planted
the rest must get some introduced to keep the population healty,
they took a big blow from overfishing, tnow hey realized they are fun to fish,
and want to keep fishing them, release the BIG ones, for a chance at a record fish.

not the minis, those will keep forever on coming tru the inlets, kill those.

And whoever told you that DVL got no water is liying or think you are dumb enough to believe it
see the pics below

pics of the water level below

ramp , inlet and ramp again... see how low it was?

yolo
11-08-2011, 05:13 AM
Kids the ocean is deep enough, however the striper chooses to look for current, why?
that current is more important than you think.

Now, DVL got so much water that is hard to believe, a lot of water
how much water they got? 4 square miles times 70 ft, do the math.
yes with fry in it and eggs and lots of minis .

Right now skinner is getting a lot, I mean a lot of 1 pounders, boils everywhere
go fish

In the east coast, texas is the only state that does not get stripers planted
the rest must get some introduced to keep the population healty,
they took a big blow from overfishing, tnow hey realized they are fun to fish,
and want to keep fishing them, release the BIG ones, for a chance at a record fish.

not the minis, those will keep forever on coming tru the inlets, kill those.

And whoever told you that DVL got no water is liying or think you are dumb enough to believe it
see the pics below

pics of the water level below

ramp , inlet and ramp again... see how low it was?

There are reservoirs in other states that they do spawn in because they have not been planted in ages. Liberty Lake in Maryland is one example. In our state, there is San Antonio which was already mentioned. They spawn in Lake Millerton too. DFG biologist has verified that they spawned in DVL. Lake Texoma in Oklahoma/Texas. Oh and since when is "texas" on the "east coast"?

I'm no biologist but have you thought that maybe the eggs don't hatch or survive in saltwater? They need to go to the freshwater instead? In the reservoirs, they are already in the freshwater. Just keep living in denial though. If you said they don't spawn in all reservoirs then yes that's true but it has been documented that they do spawn in some reservoirs.

Taco just BELIEVE IT already!

Kareem Korn
11-08-2011, 06:30 AM
DFG biologist has verified that they spawned in DVL. !

I guess it's law if a DFG Biologist said it.

It's funny how the same department is reguarded as full of shlt in their study/thinking when it comes to the MLPA and the upcomming closures along our coast.

Believe what you want.
Quitcherbitchen and go fishing.
While you still can.

30lber
11-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Taco.....im a lil confused.
I see you posted some pictures of a few d.d. On this page. ( caught- killed- slayed )
The topic reads RELEASE of the d.d.
Which one is it?

seal
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
really though cool way to dodge the subject. talk about saltwater that has nothing to do with dvl let alone freshwater. I too would like to see how you answer how they got in there. P.S. I dont think they got there by going off subject about marlin and dorado. We have a saltwater section for that. Check it out sometime.

Way off base dude! I have nothing but respect for Taco, even if I don't always agree. Off base this time, sometimes you should hold off on hitting the "post quick reply" button.

seal
11-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I think he realized he was horribly wrong and is now not going to post back. If he does post back he use the excuse that he no longer wants to argue with us yada yada yada when its really just a cover story so he can walk away from more humiliation not looking like a complete retard. Or so he thinks.

Lost all respect for you at this point, implying Mr Taco is a retard or just calling anybody a retard is well retarded.

fish-o-haulic
11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Lost all respect for you at this point, implying Mr Taco is a retard or just calling anybody a retard is well retarded.

So you dont like me anymore or something because i insulted someone you like. Im sorry if i didnt catch the rules to insulting someone. But like all people fishtaco you me we'll all get over this. Nice talking to you while for a while seal. Sorry for having an opinion about someone you liked and didnt.

DarkShadow
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Taco.....im a lil confused.
I see you posted some pictures of a few d.d. On this page. ( caught- killed- slayed )
The topic reads RELEASE of the d.d.
Which one is it?

That's question #2 in this thread that probably won't be addressed by The Taco.

But I do find that ironic, that in his effort to show everyone how great of an angler he is by posting pics of dead DD stripers, he pretty much makes himself look like a hypocrite, and has the audacity to address his opponents as "kids" or "son."

This guy seems to lay rakes down, only to step on them in the process.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8hxknNmRf1qdoghio1_400.gif

His new name should be SideShowEddie.

Double A
11-08-2011, 04:20 PM
So you dont like me anymore or something because i insulted someone you like. Im sorry if i didnt catch the rules to insulting someone. But like all people fishtaco you me we'll all get over this. Nice talking to you while for a while seal. Sorry for having an opinion about someone you liked and didnt.

Dude has something to say about EVERYTHING,,, 1500 posts,,, however never see any

REPORTS,,,

go fish bro

fish-o-haulic
11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Dude has something to say about EVERYTHING,,, 1500 posts,,, however never see any

REPORTS,,,

go fish bro

Maybe i do have something to say. However i fish when i can post detailed reports when i do. as far as the forum goes people can talk **** all they want i dont care forum or not ill fish and live my life. People act as if im the only one on the site that talks **** about others. I say what I mean and mean what i say. Half the forum could jump on me I dont care its a fishing forum if it was that serious i probably wouldnt say half the stuff i say. Besides i give helpful info to anyone that wants it. And saying i never post reports would be a lie but say what you will. Everyone has opinions I say mine because im cant stand people talking **** behind others backs. But if the stuff im saying is even ban worthy then you would find that me as well as loads of others would be ban to. Good luck fishing to whoever is reading this. Keep the comments coming I love when people decide to jump on me. Its the internet people say crap all the time, by tonight everyone will have forgotten all about whats said to each other insult or not so insult me, my internet feeling can take it. LOL hahaha.

30lber
11-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Just got back from the grocery store.
Picked up some popcorn.

SKramer
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Or you can always Keep a nice one, then on the next trip eat a nice one and so on and so on :)

Tight Lines
Scott

fish-o-haulic
11-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Just got back from the grocery store.
Picked up some popcorn.

Please I have no interest in arguing with anyone. People tend to come up with **** to say when they realize everyone is saying it too. There will be another one but im not interested **** talking contest. I can take the truth no matter how bad it hurts. but some are just interested in starting drama. The outcome of this really makes no difference to me though.

yolo
11-08-2011, 05:04 PM

REPORTS,,,

go fish bro

Haha Brian. That's pretty funny but true.

fish-o-haulic
11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Ok fine, i always have something to say just like everyone else on here. People say i dont post but yet when i dot i get like 2 replies at most. I have several of them in the aqueduct section i have some on castaic section one or 2 on apollo park. I figured it wouldnt help to post skunk trips so i dont post all of my adventures. Especially cuz no one replies to em. Wow yolo i always give you props and im repayed like this. Im patronized basically for doing what everyone else on this forum does only because i havent been on here a year or more. maybe some of you guys should go back and look at your posts before talking about others. especially you seal considering that just about every thread you were blasting somebody for a while. Im sorry for coming to this forum and completely ruining it for you guys I only observed and did what i saw of you guys do on this forum. Talk **** and use bad grammar. HAHA ive helped plenty of people out on this site now people that dont even know me are jumping in, fun for everybody right. LOL you guys are rediculous if any of you payed attention to anything you would know that half your guys claims arent even true. LOL whatever i dont expect everyone to like me, and as much as i hate this word i guess everyone has haters.

30lber
11-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Seal is a great guy and i can vouch for him.
In person hes another harrison fords raider of the lost ark.
Sorry seal...i had to.lol
He spoke clearly!

t3rry
04-12-2012, 11:03 PM
LOL

is up to you guys/girls
but back to the subject

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/delta/stripedbass/biology.asp

Female striped bass usually spawn for the first time in their fourth or fifth year, when they are 21 to 25 inches long. Some males mature when they are 2 years old and only about 11 inches long. Most males are mature at age 3 and nearly all females at age 5.

Stop using out of state resources when you have local information. Based on the SoCal's information on the stripers. I think they are leaving it open ended with when they reach maturity. If food is abundant I'm sure they reach maturity quicker since they can attain the size quicker.

October
04-13-2012, 04:18 PM
WHats the best way to catch striper? Im getting a boat and have never fished for them before. Ide like to keep one just to try it since I never have but I always release my fish because I too like sustaining the numbers. But there is nothing wrong with people wanting to keep and eat.