PDA

View Full Version : No YT, but new PB halibut all around!

bsp
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM
All right guys, another late report.... I know I should have gotten this up sooner, but hey the reason I can go fishing is because I'm working on college apps the rest of the time. To you guys who haven't hit senior year yet, I've got one piece of advice: DO YOUR APPS OVER THE SUMMER!!! Wish I did. :LOL:

Report time!

Gear (BSP):
Phenix X-10, Luna 203, Seaguar InvisX 10lb (soon to be upgraded to 12lb)
Lures: LC Flash Minnow 110 in Aurora Mackerel and YFC, and Ima Sasuke 120 in Sardine

Steve (BSP's 6'6" friend):
Dad's Phenix 76M drophsot rod, Stradic 2500, Seaguar InvisX 8lb
Lures: Zoom Fluke in Baby Bass, 3in Big Hammer in Sexy Smelt, and a Rapala XR-10 in silver/blue

No name surf shoes for me, and Steve rolled with the Speedo water shoe.

Steve had been wanting to hit the surf and score some halibut for a while now. We had gone a few other times, but conditions always sucked when we got to the beach. Needless to say, today had to work or I was going to have a large, pissed off buddy to deal with.

I picked Steve up and we drove for a long friggin time to get to The Spot. Steve: "This had better be good if you made me get up early. If I get another chest cold because of the cold water I swear Marc!"
Me: "Shut it, the water wasn't that bad..."
Steve: "YOU HAVE A #%#&$^&* WETSUIT JACKET!"
:ROFL:

With the banter aside and rocking out to Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train we parked and got down to the spot.

Conditions looked perfect and yet again we were greeted by a jumping YT... :Angry:We chased them for a few hours, but after only one bendo decided to focus on halibut.

Steve cast out and got a first cast BENDO! It wasn't a YT, but it was Steve's first ever surf halibut! No pic because that little pancake snapped the line, but it was a good sign of things to come.

We chase the YT for nothing, and conditions start looking a little better for the flatties. Lots and lots of bait everywhere with plenty of bird life. We mad a short move, and I stuck a pancake. No pic b/c I shook him off in the surf (didn't want to wade back to shore). Steve went bendo next on another short. All right, more halibut for Steve! The pressure was off.

We kept wading and found a really prime piece of halibut real estate: Bait puddling the surface and some nice rocky structure. Steve and I both cast out, and as I am reeling in I see a decent size halibut come up, take a swipe, and miss. Grr. Next cast same deal. Steve saw a calico miss his swimbait too. Then, I cast out, crank the LC in and see a huge carpet of sand shoot up and wolf down the LC!

"STEVE, It's my biggest halibut ever!"
"MARC, something just annhilated my lure and it's big"

Double bendo! SCORE! The big girl takes line, I gain some, and eventually beach her.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1192.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1193.jpg

She was 28in. Not the 30in I was hoping for, but still an awesome fish. I need to get a better tape measure too. Safely released! She was really fat too. The pics aren't the best, but we wanted to get her back in the water ASAP. Steve sadly lost his fish whatever it was.

After that the action was pretty steady. I lost 2 LCs to mystery fish :Evil:, scored a calico (my first ever from the surf!), and 2 other halibut. Steve picked up another 2 pancakes too.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1196.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1197.jpg

Then as we were leaving, we saw two guys in waders walking down to where we had been fishing.

Steve: "Are you serious, how could anybody else find this place? What's the deal with that guy's orange rod?"
Me: "Yeah how could anybody... wait... I know those two."
Steve: "Really?"
Me: "ARTHUR! MIKE! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING HERE?!"

We all chatted for a little bit, and talked about the day. Thanks for the recon info guys. Very impressive trip, and glad to hear that you guys got into some fish after Steve and I worked the area. Congrats on the PB calico Arthur! You can bet Steve and I'll be checking out that recon area soon:Secret:

Fun quotes:

Big rogue wave coming towards us:

Me: "Oh man not again!"
Steve: "Oh man not again indeed!"

As I am helping Steve with a windknot:

"Steve warn me of any rogue waves... ok?"
"WAVE!"
WHAM!
"Ow!"
"Marc, your head slammed into the reel! Are you all right?"
"My head..."
"WAVE!"
"OW!! AGAIN!"

Last one:
Steve: "I'll be happy if I catch anything. Corbina, halibut, yellowtail, calicos, a WSB. I'll be happy with any tacos. Corbina tacos, halibut tacos, yellowtail tacos, calico tacos, WSB tacos..."
Me: "I'm noticing a trend here. It's fish=tacos."
Steve: "Let's hit up Taco Bell!"

:ROFL:

PESCADOS.LOCOS
11-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Been checking back waiting for this post! You always have great detailed posts. And after hearing you had a PB wanted to see this big bad boy! That grin on your face said it all bit that was there all day. You guys look like you had alot of fun! Congrats.

Your post will nt be the same if you buy and wear a brand name surf shoe. LOL

Chris

flyngby
11-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Marc,

Congrats on the new PB!!!!

Another great detailed report as usual!

Looks like you have created another Hali-Hunter in your friend Steve and way to go on getting him his first Flattie!!!!!

At least the 2 POACHERS on your spot were not carrying the 5 gallon buckets as part of their expensive arsenal!!

I missed the opportunity to meet you again!!!!!! We'll Some day!

Steve

Wingnut
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Great report Marc... I love your humor. :Big Grin:
We have to plan a trip to the "New" Spot... but you WILL need a pair of name brand surf shoes to attack that terrain. :ROFL:
Again, congrats on the well deserved PB Flat Boy and adhering to "S.W.A.T. Code" to never kill your personal best fish. :Cool: You will join the 30" Hali Club very soon. :Wink:
Your buddy Steve will make a fine member of the Junior S.W.A.T. Crew... welcome to the addiction. :Twisted:
As always, great seeing you & your Dad out there in the surf... see you soon.

whate
11-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Nice fat halibut there bsp. And like me, you wear the same outfit everytime.

troutdog
11-03-2009, 01:11 AM
WTG Marc, congrats on your pb halibut....30" is next dude!

Great report and pics, thanks!

TD

fishshep
11-03-2009, 07:17 AM
"Bait puddling the surface and rocky structure" :Big Grin:
AAAAUUUHHHH !!!! I can picture it now !!!!
Great Report :Big Grin:

ldsaylor
11-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Congrats on the PB Flattie! Thats a nice fish for sure.. Thanks for posting it up and very cool on that release.

Re8elmonk0341
11-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Awesome report and WTG on the PB! What's all that green stuff there on the sand?

Man I have to get back out there on sand and do some surf fishing!!! You guys are killing it.

gman444
11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
cool report, with those yellows cruisin around you should bust out the jig rod! Haha imagine the looks you'd get tossing iron in the surf :ROFL:

greg

TShaffer
11-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Congrats on the new PB and great report. Those quotes of the day were pretty funny. Thanks for the advice on the college apps too-I'm a junior this year.

murrieta angler
11-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Very nice, very nice...beautiful weather, great friends and family, lotsa fish...what more could you ask for...:Big Grin:

bsp
11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Been checking back waiting for this post! You always have great detailed posts. And after hearing you had a PB wanted to see this big bad boy! That grin on your face said it all bit that was there all day. You guys look like you had alot of fun! Congrats.

Your post will nt be the same if you buy and wear a brand name surf shoe. LOL

Chris

Thanks man, I was flipping out when I finally saw it on the beach. Glad to hear that you like the reports too! I try to write them to be helpful/entertaining because that's what I want to read.

Dang it... now I can't buy those fancy ones I've been wanting b/c I'll lose my surf fishing mojo!

Marc,

Congrats on the new PB!!!!

Another great detailed report as usual!

Looks like you have created another Hali-Hunter in your friend Steve and way to go on getting him his first Flattie!!!!!

At least the 2 POACHERS on your spot were not carrying the 5 gallon buckets as part of their expensive arsenal!!

I missed the opportunity to meet you again!!!!!! We'll Some day!

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve! That spot seems to kick out PBs consistently for those who fish it. My buddy Steve was psyched to get on his first few halibut, and can't wait to score his first legal. When I told him that spot has kicked out legals for another Steve, he kinda did a double take. :ROFL:

I think they had their bucket hidden somewhere...

Sorry we didn't run into each other, but it'll happen sometime soon! The only problem will be if my friend Steve is there too. Then we'll have to figure out how to specify which Steve!

Great report Marc... I love your humor. :Big Grin:
We have to plan a trip to the "New" Spot... but you WILL need a pair of name brand surf shoes to attack that terrain. :ROFL:
Again, congrats on the well deserved PB Flat Boy and adhering to "S.W.A.T. Code" to never kill your personal best fish. :Cool: You will join the 30" Hali Club very soon. :Wink:
Your buddy Steve will make a fine member of the Junior S.W.A.T. Crew... welcome to the addiction. :Twisted:
As always, great seeing you & your Dad out there in the surf... see you soon.

Hey Arthur, you know I can rock the brand name surf shoes when I have to... and by rock I mean totally obliterate. I actually need to figure out some better foot attire before I hit up that spot. Don't want my feet to get smashed!

Thanks man, it felt good to let her go. The SWAT code is what keeps the spots producing, and Poseidon should reward me with that 30in eventually! I know where they live... I just need to get one to bite.

Steve is looking forward to future surf fishing trips, and hopes to hit the surf with you guys sometime. He needs a little more practice, but I think he can do it.

Can't wait to hit the surf with you and Mike again!

Nice fat halibut there bsp. And like me, you wear the same outfit everytime.

The outfit has good mojo... plus it keeps me warm and let's me tread water when a wave comes.

WTG Marc, congrats on your pb halibut....30" is next dude!

Great report and pics, thanks!

TD

Thanks TD! Trout season is just around the corner, so I hope to run into you out there!

"Bait puddling the surface and rocky structure" :Big Grin:
AAAAUUUHHHH !!!! I can picture it now !!!!
Great Report :Big Grin:

It's always an awesome sight. :Cool:

Thanks fishep, also, did you notice my buddy was tossing the XR-10? It produced, and I'll be adding the XR-12 very soon.

Congrats on the PB Flattie! Thats a nice fish for sure.. Thanks for posting it up and very cool on that release.

Always CPR your PB, and hope to see some surf reports from you soon!

Awesome report and WTG on the PB! What's all that green stuff there on the sand?

Man I have to get back out there on sand and do some surf fishing!!! You guys are killing it.

Thanks man. I have no clue what that is, but it didn't affect the bite. Algae? Get out and hit the surf soon before the cold weather puts the fish down for the winter!

cool report, with those yellows cruisin around you should bust out the jig rod! Haha imagine the looks you'd get tossing iron in the surf :ROFL:

greg

I actually thought about that Greg... man tossing a Mint/White Tady 45 or C from the surf. I've thought about it, but I'll try to put it into action sometime soon. I'm thinking calicos near the boilers! Those people could stare all they wanted too... I'd be the one pulling up the fish they dream about! :Twisted:

Congrats on the new PB and great report. Those quotes of the day were pretty funny. Thanks for the advice on the college apps too-I'm a junior this year.

Steve and I always joke around. It makes the day a lot better and slow periods fun. Let me know if you have any questions about college apps. I'll gladly help you out. Do well as a junior and your life is a lot easier since those grades matter the most!

Very nice, very nice...beautiful weather, great friends and family, lotsa fish...what more could you ask for...:Big Grin:

Nothing else man... nothing else! :Cool:

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-04-2009, 06:13 PM
congrats on your PB...nice fish...salute to all your catches...too bad no YT but if theyre around next time I'm sure the odds are in your favor to nail em and make it stick !

Salute,
Gary

2jackedLUNGS
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
nice fish!