PDA

View Full Version : DUCTS-South N North - Halloween horrors !-but there was Bloood!

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
A Halloween NIGHT OF HORRORS !

I won’t soon forget !

Quite a novel here so grab a drink, some popcorn, sit back and laugh at my escapades!

CHAPTER :1

Hit the AV Duct after work Friday Night !

Sloow action, produced 1 hookup but shook off soon after (dayam !)

Fast flows and wide open gates made for real tough conditions ! but I fished on !

I fished the entire valley…….NO FISH Landed –only the 1 hookup !!

CHAPTER :2

2:07am…..
I decide….to heck with it…I’m pullin’ an “all nighter” and I went off to Bakersfield !

3:10am, I arrive at my 1st spot….
I fish the current break…..within 10 minutes..

Hookup !.....ahhhhhhh! no skunk for me !
A cookie cutter 3 lbder is released (didn’t bother with a pic !)

Action was far from off the hook…my next spot produced 1 hookup but it shook off right off (Dayam x 2).

Off to a 3rd …….spot I hammered it and pounded the water hard to scratch another 3lbder out (no pic…..-fishin too hard to stop for a pic !)

CHAPTER :3

On my way out from that spot, driving down a dirt road, I somehow managed to run over a 5 foot long board !

This board somehow managed to wedge itself up in the firewall of my truckbed, in front of the wheel but behind the cab !

Zrrrrrrrrrrrag…….scratch….grind…..drag !...man it was loud as it drug the dirt while it was lodged under my truck !

I COUDLNT GET THAT SUCKA OUT !....It was wedged in TIGHT !

I almost pulled out a hacksaw I had in my truck to cut it out of there !

Finally, I managed to break it out of there and I was back on the road ! (Damn..that was trippy !)

Off to the next spot, the same spot I landed my 1st striper earlier….getting light now… !

Ton’s of bait around…conditions looked good but Mr Stripe’ty wasn’t showing up for my invitation !

I worked it HARD !....ran the lure over this little drop where I expected a fish to make it’s lair and

WHAM!
SLAM !
Thank you Mam’

Hookup !

Looked like a nice fat Largemouth….

Yoked up and footballed out !

Turns out to be a Spotted Bass ! (didn’t know there were in there !)

This sucka had back (and belly too !) and was a strong fighter too !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/th_newphotos-wierdformat003.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/?action=view&current=newphotos-wierdformat003.flv)
Another few casts produced 1 more LMB or Spottie, couldn’t tell as he shook off quickly..!

CHAPTER : 4

To the next spot, slow action, 30-40 minutes without a strike on my lures…
Many bait and waiters around too…not a fish caught that I’ve seen by any of them !

Man I’M TIRED !
So I take a 20 minute power nap (right next to the duct !), I didn’t sleep but it helped..

I stood up, started casting….about 6 casts into it….

Hookup !...kinda woke me up ! and at 8:30am it wasn’t the best time for a duct bite so I felt fortunate !

Those bait and waiters even commented..”is that what we have to do ? take a nap ?”
Here’s that rascally feller’.. (Fell victim to a LC pointer)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Nightmareonbakostreetstripernumber3.jpg

No more action, so off to the far reaches….unexplored avenues for me !

CHAPTER :5

This brought me to a siphon outlet…standing up high, I watched as 4 LMB followed my LC slightly subsurface….

They wouldn’t hit it but kept looking at it from about 4 inches away…

NEW ATTACK !

Herky Jerky pop twitched action seemed to be their undoing..

I proceeded to nail each one of them systematically !

I saw 4 LMB…and I caught 4 LMB..!
Nothing big…bout a pound each (didn’t bother with pics)

A slightly different zone now….Patented “feel the steel” “Pop Twitch”…

HoookkkuUp !

Mr stripey couldn’t resist that presentation…nice fat and chuncky for a bako feesh !

Nightmare on Bako’ Street really started manifesting itself about now…

As I lipped the Striper, he thrashed and spun in a weird way, driving 2 hooks into 2 different fingers….

One hook I got out right off but the other drove deep into my left ring finger (OUCH….that really hurts !)
Then, to make matters worse, the fish began thrashing, keep in mind, now the fish is attached to me via 2 shanks of the treble in his chin and the 3rd shank in my finger…same hook ….!

DAMN ! I cant get the fish unhooked !

Took me 5 minutes to get the hooks out of the fish…then I tried to remove the hook by pulling it out….my skin stretched, the blood flowed…I might have even shed a tear or 2 who knows…

IT HURT !...........It was DEEP !
(THIS PHOTO IS FOR YOU Bob-Blooood!)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Nightmareonbakostreet-hookinfing-2.jpg

Took me another 5 minutes to cut my Braided line off the lure then I made my way back to the truck to find my pliers !..

My plan was to push the shank through and cut off the barb !

COULDN”T FIND THE PLIERS ! Uhhhh Ohhhh !....I got problems and I aint gonna stop fishing (I’m sick !)

I thought I might resort to the wrap the line around the shank and yank it out but I couldn’t get the hook off the split ring on the lure to get a free yank on it !

Otherwise I would have potentially drove the other set of treble hooks into my hand as well !

DAMN !....SWEATIN’………..BLEEDIN’……TRIPPIN’ OUT !

WAIT !......time to stop and take a photo ! ….Bloood ! (told ya…I’m sick !)

So I am desparate and I attempt to pull it out again !

I pull HARD…3 times it aint coming out ! OUUUUUCH !

I try one last time and apply extreme pressure downward on the shank while I do it…

Viola…it came out ! Wheeeeeeew !

(someone really is watchin’ over me up there, I’m convinced !)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Nightmareonbakostreet-hookinfing-1.jpg
I had released all fish to this point but after that fiasco’ this one had ta DIE !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Nightmareonbakostreetstriperthathoo.jpg
So, back to fishin’ (I’m certifiable..aint I !) I jig a KPN off a high point at a siphon outlet…

Whoosh !...I see a 6lb class Striper slash at it hardcore …saw him clear as day 6-8 inches under the surface…unfortunately he didn’t come back to finish what he started.. : (

CHAPTER :6

Off to yet another new region to see about how close I could get to a water discharge !

Didn’t pan out…..

Get in the truck…it’s laboring to start…finally starts but bogs down bigtime…

I am driving but it keeps bogging down…..had ta feather the throttle to keep it running…

I though maybe it was running hot so I stopped and let it cool down…40 minutes later I try to start it…

Can’t start it !....Ohhhhhhh…noooo! Mr Bill…Ohhhhhh NOooooooooo!

I called up Cutbait mike to let him know my dilemma, he responded quickly…on his way to the scene rapidly but I am probably 30 miles away from his house at least..

While he’s rolling out, I managed to get it started and feathered the throttle to keep it running….for several miles I did this at 30 mph…till finally Mike showed up and followed me for another 10 miles !

The truck kept shutting off and I struggled to keep it running….

Finally, we decided to tow it…Chains in hand…we proceeded to link it up and tow it another 10-15 miles to Mike’s house..

Mike drove me to the parts store and I replaced the fuel filter in hopes that it was the problem..
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Nightmareonbakostreettruck-1.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Nightmareonbakostreettruck-2.jpg

Wuump Wump Wump Wahhhhhh !

Back to the parts store….to buy a fuel pump !

Wump Wump Wump Wahhhhhh !

Wrong Fuel Pump ! (Sheesh!)

By now I had Trailblazer join the repair party as well as I watched their families want to go trick or treating and I am dragging them to the parts stores and have them aid in the repairs !

We went to another store for a new different fuel pump..

After a few attempts at repair it still didn’t work…

we called it at 10pm
(remember, at this point I’m still going straight from work the day b4-Friday after work !)

I crashed out hard on Mikes Couch…!

Only to be awaken about 8am by Mike saying they’ve got the fuel pump in ! (WTF ?)

I look at the truck, the motor was out on milkcrates !
All the tires were off !

Mike was spray paint primering the hood…which by the way was sitting on the front lawn !

Scott had a full bucket of nuts and bolts and kept mumbling about something that these were all “extra parts” and what did I want him to do with them…

Only then I looked over to see Mike relaxing on a seat having a cold beer….then I noticed it was the seats from my truck…out of the truck too !

Covered in oil, saturated in gas, Scott fired up a smoke….and proceeded to ignite himself on fire !

Mike said”stop…drop and roll !” !
And while your down there Scott, you mind handing me that 9/16’s wrench ?

He said “not to worry !” Scott lights himself on fire all the time since childhood…”he’s a quick healer!”

Mike took out a shop vac and vacuumed up all the charred ashes from the burnt hair off Scott’s arms and started back to work !

No REALLY………………….

It appears that Mike and Scott got up at the buttcrack of dawn and started working on my truck and put the fuel pump in…..

ONE Problem…..it still wasn’t pumping gas !

Turns out there was a rubber hose from the fuel pump inside the tank that had a hole in it…after that was replaced and some creative “re-wiring” on the fuel pumpit started up !

AND stayed RUNNING !....Wheeew !

I am Mobile again !

Damn Man, I tell you Cutbait and Trailblazer really helped me out of a serious jam and I made the utmost inconvenience on an inopportune day/evening ! (Halloween !)

I owe them both and their families a debt of Gratitude, they took me into their home like one of their own ….man…can’t thank you enough..

Are you guys up to fish on Thanksgiving and New Years ?

Ha ha ha ha

P.S.

I stopped at 2 more spots on my ride home for 1 hookup but I farmed ‘em !

What a Halloween Horror story !

BUT….there WAS Bloooood! And Feeeesh !

Gary (aka the never ending novelist !)

P.S.
I arrived back home Sunday at noon after leaving for fishing shortly after work Friday night.

The trips totals were:
AV :1 fish hooked (farmed)

Bako: 4 Stripers landed (plus 1 farmed)
4 LMB
1 Spotted Bass
1 LMB or another spottie farmed

CAPT'N
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Gary,

that's a hell of a report...............Nice to have good friends when thing go south.

By the way, nice fish........
Capt'n

Loco
11-02-2009, 11:53 PM
That report was freakin hilarious! The things that go wrong... right when you just want to go to sleep. I need to get back to pulling some allnighter fishin trips. Those are exhausting but so fun.
Great report.

cutbait
11-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Gary, if you fish Thanksgiving or Christmas I suggest you stay in A/V.. LOL

Get that pic of that football spottie!! the pic I saw on your camera wasn't very big.

I am telling you the duct is going through a change with these low flows.

Spots, Largemouth, bluegill, Crappie, and bigger stripers are taking hold

HaiTheMeister
11-03-2009, 07:59 AM
man, sorry about what happened! Sounds like you've got both TRICK & TREAT! :-)
Great report as always!

yolo
11-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Dang. What an adventure. LC Pointer in the finger is probably "Khanh's Revenge" for not using the KPN :Smile:
All is well that ends well and it seemed to have ended well.

fishincrave
11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
A trully Holloween horror night will not soon forget my freind lol .
Wow what a read i thought i was reading a horror novel.
You had so much going on i had forgoten all about your fishing report till i scrolled back up to see this was actually started as a fishing rerport LOL.

nice fish by the way Gary :LOL:

Sean

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-03-2009, 01:54 PM
turns out that I inadvertantly took a video of the spotted bass

not a pic..

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/th_newphotos-wierdformat003.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/?action=view&current=newphotos-wierdformat003.flv)

eddie33081
11-03-2009, 02:51 PM
lol. nice report/memoir

trail blazer
11-03-2009, 03:30 PM
REDNECKS/HILLBILLY.S/,,,,,,,,See there,,,,there not that bad at all:LOL:.

But seriously,,WTG gary,,,GREAT REPORT!!And like mike said, Dont even think of coming up here on a real holliday:Big Grin:,cause you are just too HIGH MAINTANANCE!!!!!LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,O, il keep the little ford charged up for you for next time,,ha ha

TRAIL BLAZER

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-03-2009, 03:42 PM
REDNECKS/HILLBILLY.S/,,,,,,,,See there,,,,there not that bad at all:LOL:.

But seriously,,WTG gary,,,GREAT REPORT!!And like mike said, Dont even think of coming up here on a real holliday:Big Grin:,cause you are just too HIGH MAINTANANCE!!!!!LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,O, il keep the little ford charged up for you for next time,,ha ha

TRAIL BLAZER

I smell a song !.....ZZ tops "beer drinkers ...hellraisers" comes to mind !

All foolin' aside, this guy even was into the full act of loaning me his other truck t be able to get home and get to work the next day...

Rednecks-hillbillys- call it what U will...I will have words with anyone dissing' them moving forward....

awww..hell, I am thinking I'm gonna shave my head and emulate balding...work on an accent and stop wearin sunblock on my neck....all to honor you two and your generosity ! and consideration...

Awww...I love ya man.....!

In a neihborly, buddy kind o love...not the brokeback mountain style fondlin kind o love....a simple handeshake will suffice next time I see you guys just in case your wonderin' !

Bako boys ROCK !

Lipripper93561
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Looks like I wasn't the only one to pull a skunk in the AV this weekend. Since you are out at night and in Bako sometimes...try out the cross valley canal, it goes under Rosedale hwy right at the intersection of Gosford rd. It peels out west and has some "access" at the South end of Renfro rd off Stockdale hwy. Sometimes the water is so clear you can spot cast and pick your fish. If you run across some of the security say high and drop the name Doug T or Preston. They both fish out there on the clock, :Big Grin:. Also keep your eye out for water flow on the river wier just East of Enos lane/Stockdale hwy. Two years ago they drained the cross valley canal into the river and that wier was producing 10-20 pounders all day and night, so who knows when that spot will produce again. None of these spots are secret holes, so I'm not blowing anyone out of the water with this advice. I'm just too far away to fish these spots regularly, but would like to know if anyone is hitting this spots up. Good luck. I grew up down there, raised with a fishing pole and a bike in hand, got to know almost all the security back in the days. damn all the fences and barb wire. So many spots to fish for free, hop on Google earth and check out the hydrography and make a trip.

FINSMACKDOWN
11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
LOL! Crazy post Gary. that is dedication, that is how to punk the skunk.
when i left you at 2, i thaught man he is gonna go KILL EM. i almost turned around.
Props to you Mike n Scott helpin a brotha out.

GeordyBass
11-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Good job Gary and I'd expect that determination from you bro!:Cool:

cutbait
11-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I smell a song !.....ZZ tops "beer drinkers ...hellraisers" comes to mind !

All foolin' aside, this guy even was into the full act of loaning me his other truck t be able to get home and get to work the next day...

Rednecks-hillbillys- call it what U will...I will have words with anyone dissing' them moving forward....

awww..hell, I am thinking I'm gonna shave my head and emulate balding...work on an accent and stop wearin sunblock on my neck....all to honor you two and your generosity ! and consideration...

Awww...I love ya man.....!

In a neihborly, buddy kind o love...not the brokeback mountain style fondlin kind o love....a simple handeshake will suffice next time I see you guys just in case your wonderin' !

Bako boys ROCK !

Everyone loves, LOVES to make fun of rednecks...

Until there car breaks down!!!!!!!!

GeordyBass
11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
everyone loves, loves to make fun of rednecks...

ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-03-2009, 05:54 PM

ALL JOKES ASIDE !

(YOU DIDNT THINK I'D LET IT RIDE W/O SOME PUN ! DID YA ?)

Seriously, all jokes aside, you guys are class acts and you have a wonderfull family Mike!

I cannot say that I am not a bit envious....

: )

YOU ARE COMPLETE !

BUT
....now all you have to do is learn HOW TO FISH ! (begin Bako' blast again ! insert pun)

chansen49
11-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Thats MIGHT be the report/post of the year!! Good job on the fish! Sucks for your finger, Hardcore people like you are a dying breed.

Chris

Ray Lopez
11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
P.S.

I stopped at 2 more spots on my ride home for 1 hookup but I farmed ‘em !

lol that was my favorite part hahahaha

you are a crack addict......just like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bwhahahahahahahahahaahahaha oh so true.

Good job on you bako boyz helping out one of our castiac brotherhood! that is true sportmanship to help a brother in need!

fishfinder
11-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I ran out of popcorn in the middle of chapter 5 :ROFL: