PDA

View Full Version : Perris Lake 10/30 80 Year Old Bluegill Catching Champ

Natural Lefty
10-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Sometimes, a fishing trip is more about the people one meets than the fishing. Such was the case this time.

Yesterday I had 1 more chance to go fishing before the "fall back" time change. When I went to Walmart to buy some nightcrawlers, there was a newspaper article posted on the bait refrigerator about pollution in SoCal lakes. Silverwood was by far the worst for Mercury and PCBs, apparently because its water comes straight from the delta. I guess Pyramid would also be in that category, as well, but I didn't see anything about it. Perris wasn't on the list, either. I guess the pollution is filtered out pretty much in Silverwood. Anyway, the article gave me a bad feeling about Silverwood, which I was thinking it was time to try, so Silverwood was out and Perris was in.

I got to my usual place at the Perris Lake launch ramp around 2:15 p.m., but the fish weren't cooperating there, at least not yet. Around 3 p.m., I decided to go to the fishing docks at the marina. I saw lots of small Bass near shore as I was leaving, which seem to be swarming all along the shorelines of Perris this year. I thought there might be some Bluegills too, so I dropped my Adams fly down by the edge of the dock, and lo and behold, one of the Bass grabbed it. It had a short trip into the atmosphere as I quickly unhooked it and put it back in the water. That goes to show how almost any type of freshwater fish except for Catfish will sometimes bite on flies originally designed for Trout.

I went to the marina, where the employee gave me the pass for $2 since it was late in the day. The employees have been really nice to me. Last time, they let me go for free. When I got out there, there was a father and son fishing for Bluegills with a slip-bobber setup. They were fishing only a few feet down, and doing pretty well on smallish Bluegill. The father appeared to be around 80 years young, give or take a few years, and the son, probably in his 40s. The father caught more fish than anyone else on the docks, outfishing several other fisherpeople on the docks. He must have caught about 15 Bluegills while I was there, while I caught only 3. I was hindered by having only nightcrawlers as live bait, so I wound up feeding the fish most of the time. Also, I lost 3 better size fish to poor knots or poor hooksets. I heard the same comments about feeding the fish from others out there. Since the fish were not on the bottom, I was using a bobber with a really long leader, probably 8 feet, and nightcrawler pieces. There were lots of bites, but not many hookups, probably due to the size of the bait. I guess I should have brought redworms. The father and son were using mealworms (which they reported were working better than Crickets once again), which I would also be using were I not allergic to them. As it was, I sneezed a couple times out there, probably from mealworm residue in the air.

I was really happy to see an older fisherman doing so well. I hope that I can fish so well when I am that age. I wish my father, who is that age, could too. (He has been in a hospital for almost a month now, by the way, but due to get out in another week or two. Meanwhile, my eldest brother has the swine flu and had a temperature of over 104 a few days ago.) This veteran Bluegill fisherman really had good skills. By the way, he was saying that larger Bluegills were biting on Tuesday. Being able to fish on Tuesdays is one of the advantages of being retired.

This Bluegill fishing champ kept giving advice to his son: make the bobber just barely bouyant by adding split shot, jig the bait up and down, use 2 small mealworms instead of 1 big one, fish more shallow, try more deep, etc. I thought the advice he was giving his son Ken was good, but it was a bit much. I started feeling sorry for Ken after a while, although I know his father was well intentioned. Anyway, Ken was catching a good number of Bluegill as well. They were keeping the larger ones, and putting the smaller ones back. One time, the father was putting a "keeper" Bluegill in their cooler, when his pole nearly went into the water from another fish. Ken grabbed the pole and brought up the Bluegill. It was pretty comical; I had never seen anything quite like that happen before. What was left of the bait most have been barely below the surface, but a fish grabbed it and hooked itself, anyway. When the father returned, he was having trouble believing what his son told him had happened, but he was convinced when I verified it. He thought his bait wasn't in the water, but it had inadvertantly fallen in.

Around 5:30, I started heading back to the launch ramp to try my bobber and fly setup, but on the way in, ran into a younger father/son team, who told me the son had caught a Crappie and a Redear. I tried jigs and worms there for awhile to no avail, but the son hooked a really large Crappie. The father grabbed my net (with my blessings) and went to net it, but it came off. Anyway, it was good to know that some Crappie and Redear are around there. I made it to my flyfishing spot around 6 p.m. There were fewer Midges than last time, but some. There were still lots of fish surfacing, although the action decreased along with the Midge population. I did manage to catch 5 Bluegills on my size 16 Adams, keeping 1 and putting 4 smaller critters back, so I was happy. I doubt the flyfishing bite will last much longer this fall, though. I also tried nightcrawler pieces and the jig from the westernmost launch ramp dock where I like to fish, to no avail, so I left around 7 p.m., which was already dark. Next week, it will be dark by 6. But tonight, I will be handing out Skittles and Peanut Butter Cups to the neighborhood kids.

Here's the catch:

5 Bluegills and 1 baby Bass on my size 16 Adams fly, one Bluegill kept, other fish quickly released
3 Bluegills on nightcrawler pieces, all kept.

mytyt
10-31-2009, 12:50 PM
was the crappie caught around the ramp area? Is the area around the unused ramp ok for float tubing? Any trout being caught? I understand last year around this time the crappie bit pretty good do you know in what areas besides the dock? I like to take out the tube so I can get my exercise and practice my bladder control.

Natural Lefty
10-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Mytyt, the Crappie was on the marina ramp on the shoreward side of the gate which the employees lock around sunset when they close the pay fishing area. That is why I ran into these people on the way back from the pay docks. In fact, they had been out on the pay docks earlier, so we had already become acquainted. Actually, totally they hooked 3 Crappie, losing 2. The one the son caught was the smallest of the 3, according to them. It was around 1/2 pound I would say. (They kept it and showed it to me.) The biggest one was estimated to be around 1 1/2 pounds.

In fact, most of the Crappies I have caught at Perris have been in the months of October and November, for some reason. The rest have been in the spring. Some people who go fishing in boats or tubes may have a better idea about where to find the Crappies throughout the year, but I generally fish from shore or docks. Places where I have caught them include the marina, the launch ramp cove, lots 11 and 12, and the dam, in order from the most to the least. The largest 2 that I caught were at lots 11 and 12, though -- about 1 1/2 pounds each. I have the impression that there may be a lot of Crappie around the Island or east end, where shorefisherpeople cannot reach them.

I did not see any Trout yesterday, but they probably have been stocked recently, plus I read that some holdovers have been caught in deep water lately.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

JimmyFSU
10-31-2009, 02:55 PM
when i was in Arkansas i always used to use flys for crappy and blue gil.

Natural Lefty
10-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Jimmy, I have caught Crappie on flies, too. In fact, the biggest one I ever caught was on a bead headed Zug Bug. It was 14 3/4 inches long (didn't weigh it, though), from Bass Lake, ironically enough.

Fishing in many other states can be fantastic for us Californians, in my experience. Using our California-learned fishing skills, it seems fish literally attack artificials much of the time when we go out of state. At least, that has been my experience. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to do any out of state fishing this year. :Crying:

bass413
11-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Being able to fish on Tuesdays is one of the advantages of being retired.

Great report, as always. To bad Perris will be closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays for a while. I'm off both of those mid-week days and they were perfect for fishing :Angry:

Natural Lefty
11-02-2009, 03:12 PM
bass413, is Perris really going to be closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays? I had no idea about that. It won't affect me much though, since it is only feasible for me to fish on Fridays or Saturdays, or when the school where I teach is on a break.

seal
11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Ok I got something out of this post about Silverwood PCB's. There is a lot of mis-information and exageration regarding the PCB's in my opinion. People keep associating this with trout and scaring them off about eating trout out of the Wood and other lakes. LMB's have been one fish mentioned as high in PCB's. One of the reasons stated for high PCB's is species that eat a lot of baitfish.

Big Bear Lake is also mentioned as a lake with high levels of PCB's in the LMB population. Delta is not connected with BBL.

Can I offer a small suggestion, cut down on the words bro your overwhelming us! I did some writing for a living also, please remember more words doesn't necessarily mean more information.

Sorry to hear about your dad, hope everything turns out ok.

Natural Lefty
11-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Gosh Seal, I try to be concise, but I keep thinking of stuff I think I would regret not saying! :Confused: Well, maybe I have said enough that I am starting to run low on material and I don't need to keep repeating it.

I think PCPs are found wherever people have been living for a long time and there are old pipes and stuff like that, but not really sure. I also think the warnings have been exaggerated, but they make me reluctant to eat the fish from those places, anyway.

pasadenafishin
11-03-2009, 05:46 PM
awesome report

seal
11-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Gosh Seal, I try to be concise, but I keep thinking of stuff I think I would regret not saying! :Confused: Well, maybe I have said enough that I am starting to run low on material and I don't need to keep repeating it.

I think PCPs are found wherever people have been living for a long time and there are old pipes and stuff like that, but not really sure. I also think the warnings have been exaggerated, but they make me reluctant to eat the fish from those places, anyway.

No problem, I think that I've just read a few too many posts about that contamination and then those that don't actually read it (I know you did) will warp it into something that it isn't.

It's all good, you need to visit the Wood.

Natural Lefty
11-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Seal, no problem on my part. :Cool: I agree I throw too much stuff in some of my posts. I think I should go to Silverwood too. It has long been a favorite fishing spot of mine.

fishmounter
11-03-2009, 10:43 PM
They need to make a new message board for "Fishing Stories"....

Astrolux
11-04-2009, 05:41 AM
Can I offer a small suggestion, cut down on the words bro your overwhelming us! I did some writing for a living also, please remember more words doesn't necessarily mean more information.
That made you sound like quite a turd. My suggestion to you would be to not read it if its too long for you.

JigStop
11-04-2009, 11:04 AM
One of my daughter's friends has severe acne that they think (all tests are not in) may have come from the PCB contamination of the Silverwood striped bass stocks. I think you are wise to stay at Perris until this situation is cleared up. Especially if you have someone in the family circle that is nursing or pregnant.

Natural Lefty
11-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Jigstop, I am sad to hear that about your friend's daughter. That is the first I have heard of actual problems from eating contaminated fish here in California, but I guess it happens. That is why I am reluctant to eat fish from places with warnings. On the other hand, there used to be warnings about the Salton Sea which kept me from going there. In these most recent tests, the Tilapia there had zero PCBs or mercury. I think they are somewhat high in Selenium, but a person would have to eat a massive amount of these Tilapia to get a problem from that. Of course, the water there does seem pretty yucky, but apparently, the fish are safe to eat.