PDA

View Full Version : Register an out of state boat

billstoudt
10-31-2009, 05:36 AM
i'm looking at buying a boat from out of state does anyone know how hard it is and whats involved in getting that boat registered in California ?

Bassnut
11-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I got my boat from Alabama, I had no problem, you will have to bring the boat to the DMV, also make sure you have all the paper work that comes with the boat

fishfinder
11-10-2009, 06:30 PM
register it there, california hits you with a luxury tax

dragonrpc
11-11-2009, 09:07 AM
mine was registerd in colorado when I got it, I had all the paper work, but the trailer ID/VIN plate was worn off (83'), so I had to bring the boat/trailer to DMV, so they could issue a new one, and they gave me a new ca plate at same time. I dont remember any large "luxury" tax, I think my 18' ranger was less then $100+ to register if i recall.

fishfinder
11-12-2009, 05:33 PM
mine was registerd in colorado when I got it, I had all the paper work, but the trailer ID/VIN plate was worn off (83'), so I had to bring the boat/trailer to DMV, so they could issue a new one, and they gave me a new ca plate at same time. I dont remember any large "luxury" tax, I think my 18' ranger was less then $100+ to register if i recall.

my boat registration is only $20 for 2 years. sounds like you paid the luxury tax at the same time. is you boat worth about 6-8k?

dragonrpc
11-13-2009, 08:48 AM
my boat registration is only $20 for 2 years. sounds like you paid the luxury tax at the same time. is you boat worth about 6-8k?

Mine is also $20 for 2 years now. (just put my 11 stickers on last night :) )

The reason my initial registration was more, is because it "expired" while in colorado(previous owner), which is also why I had to take it to DMV to get the vin verified, (and in this case new one issued for trailer), did pay a transfer fee and got new CA plate. The boat is now worth about $6-8k but when I bought it was only worth/what I paid for $2k (less then that would have been on the title transfer) so luxury on it would not be much either way, remember its 26 years new ;)

JL
11-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Got my Truiumph center console from Florida on a used trailer from another state with a vn tag that was worn through and unreadable. Went to AAA and worked through their computers to get a new VN for the trailer and register the boat. In california you pay personal property tax on the boat each year..........some call it luxury tax. Pay that tax on time or someone could attempt to pay if for you and charge you a hefty fee to re register ownership.