PDA

View Full Version : What?! Spincast?

fishmounter
10-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I recently used my son's spincasting outfit and I gotta say, I was really impressed! The reel is a Zebco Omega Z03 and he's got it on a nice 6'-6" medium action Browning Citori rod. We first fished Perris for a few hours and I ended up with 3 nice bass and wow!, what a smooth drag on that push button reel! With the 8 lb line he put on it, I could cast out lightweight cranks and worms way easier than with my baitcasters. I caught 2 of the bass "fly-lining" a 6" Roboworm. Then yesterday I took it to Fairmount Park and got a decent bass on my "secret" bait. The only thing is that it is a low ratio reel...more cranks on the reel handle to bring in the line, and it looks kinda dorky. But hey I don't care about looks anymore..been there, done that. Now I'm definitely going to go buy one for myself.

Fire Ball
10-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Lol, I have never tried one before. I started out using conventional reels because I mostly did saltwater fishing at first. Once I finally did a little freshwater fishing, I was using a spinning reel. Spincasting reels just looks so stupid and look like they would break so easily! I really just skipped the spincasting stage that young anglers go through. Spinning reels are easy enough to use for anyone so I don't see a need for spincasting reels. That is, until I tried to have one of my friends use one of my cheap spinning reels... What a mistake that was! The had never caught a fish in his life and I hardly told him how to use it because I thought it was so easy! He got a bunch of tangles and stuff real fast, lol.

Nessie Hunter
10-30-2009, 02:41 PM
:ROFL::ROFL:

Funny, I just watched my Hero, Bill Dance using a Spincast this Sat Morn... He says they are awesome now as compared to the past..

His worked OK on some Big Bass!!!

Weird to see that show, then this Post????

Cant remember the last time I even saw one???
They are just a Spinning Reel with a cover......

fishmounter
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I've got a bunch of Bill Dance and Roland Martin shows on my DVR that I need to watch. (The wife keeps yelling at me to watch them lose them) Didn't BD work for Zebco years ago?

jim532
11-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Lol, I have never tried one before. I started out using conventional reels because I mostly did saltwater fishing at first. Once I finally did a little freshwater fishing, I was using a spinning reel. Spincasting reels just looks so stupid and look like they would break so easily! I really just skipped the spincasting stage that young anglers go through. Spinning reels are easy enough to use for anyone so I don't see a need for spincasting reels. That is, until I tried to have one of my friends use one of my cheap spinning reels... What a mistake that was! The had never caught a fish in his life and I hardly told him how to use it because I thought it was so easy! He got a bunch of tangles and stuff real fast, lol.

i agree, most spincasting do stupid and feel like would break if you hooked anything over 2 lbs. But, as much as time as I've spent looking at reels online, I have seen spincasting reels in $300+ range. They were probably japanese imports, but I assume at that price they were of good quality.

I've got a cheap ultra-lite spincasting combo that I keep around for the kids to use.

Luc25
11-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Growing up i use to have Shakespeare spin cast, 6'0 California med action with 8lb test to fish small plastics and night crawlers. Ive caught 10lb catfish and 5pound+ bass on the setup. The reels are a little dinky and toyish but can handle beatings. Paying 25 bucks for a reel that whoops is nice. The spool release lever comes in handy when tossing into tight spots.

Danny300
11-02-2009, 04:22 AM
i know the secret bait!!!!!!!!!! it's the hotdogs dipped in fairmount punch!

Ultralight
11-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Omega is considered one of the better spincast reels. One of my son has used spincast for a couple of years and landed hundreds of crappie and a fair number of trout. It's a cheapie Zebco UL but works great. With braided UL line, it casts a fair distance.

UL