PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a boat heading to Irvine Lake

kinguyen
10-30-2009, 11:02 AM
I just purchased a boat not too long ago and want to take it out soon. Irvine Lake is the closest so I was planning on next week or the week after the big trout opener. My questions are, does Irvine Lake allow 2 cycle outboard motors? I HEARD that some lakes dont allow 2 cycle motors anymore. I been reading their main site but havent came across anything saying its not allowed.

I was probably going to go myself and never launched a boat before. Will there be staff there to assist me launching my boat if I need them? I invited a couple of friends but some dont like the idea of getting up 5:30am and some dont have the $22 for entrance fee.

One more question. How do you all keep your catches fresh? Do you throw them in the icechest after hooking them? I seen a lot of pictures of fishes on strings-stringers, where do you store them while still fishing.

I havent fished this lake before and would like a good first time expereince, thanks!!!

NoHo ART
10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
yes you can use a 2 cycle motor at irvine.
make sure everything on your boat is dry because the inspect.
im not sure if they are going to be able to help you lunch the boat (tow it to a big and well light parking lot in the after noon or at night and practice backing up)
you can put the fish on the stringer and leave it in the water or put em in a ice chest

goodguy
10-30-2009, 11:57 AM
yes you can use a 2 cycle motor at irvine.
make sure everything on your boat is dry because the inspect.
im not sure if they are going to be able to help you lunch the boat (tow it to a big and well light parking lot in the after noon or at night and practice backing up)
you can put the fish on the stringer and leave it in the water or put em in a ice chest

He pretty much nailed it!
I don't think you'll get employees to help with your launch... Just take your time and don't get stressed to much if folks are waiting... I started learning how to launch when I was a teenager and it is hard work at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll have it forever... Like riding a bike.
PS: pay my way and I'll give you a hand :)

Frenchy
10-30-2009, 12:26 PM
when are you goin i will be out t here tomorrow looking for miy titain on the last night of the year for catfishing if i see you i can help been backing boats up sice i was able to reach the pedals

Rooster
10-30-2009, 12:54 PM
This is a great lake for your first launch. My only suggestion would be do not attempt this opening weekend & for the first launch or two do not launch at 6am. I would come at 7- 7:30 am and the ramp should be empty. Less stress on you as you probably will be nervous... Thats normal BTW :Cool: After 3 outings ya will be alot more confident and start having a blast. Hope 2 cya out there...

kinguyen
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. Just what I was looking for. Hope to see some of ya out there too..

NoHo ART
10-30-2009, 01:44 PM
my first lunch took me around 25 minutes :ROFL:
my first retrieval took me 2 minutes because my brother in-law lifted the trailer up and walked backwards in to the water :ROFL::Envious:

easiest way to do it is: hold your steering wheel all the way at the bottom and turn to witch ever direction you want your trailer to go

dfisher
10-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I need to find some friends that have a boat.

Want to be my friend , i dont know how to launch a boat but I drink beer and am good company.

:Confused:

evalrez
10-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Want to be my friend , i dont know how to launch a boat but I drink beer and am good company.

:Big Grin: hehehe....i second that! :Wink:

dixoncider
10-30-2009, 04:56 PM
One down side of lake Irvine for a Sea-Trial would be the speed limit..There is no place on the lake where you could open it up...

See Chris Fish
10-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Have you taken a Boating Safety Course?
I learned a lot when I took mine.
If this is your first boat, it will give you a lot of confidence.
I agree, as stated earlier, don't try to do the first launch on opening day. It gets REALLY crazy.
Good luck and hope to see you on the water.

Thisfool
10-30-2009, 05:53 PM

that is me to

for keeping the fish fresh i just leave them on the string and tie it off to the boat and leave them in the watter ive had a few fish still alive at the end of the day when i do it that way. just dont forget to bring them up out of the water when your moving dont want to pull up your string and only have lips left on it

kinguyen
10-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey any of you are more than welcome to come along on the boat as long as ya show me how to catch the fish. Im more of a saltwater game guy. I just bought this boat for a starter and wanted to get the basics down before I buy the boat I really want.

One down side of lake Irvine for a Sea-Trial would be the speed limit..There is no place on the lake where you could open it up...

The boat is old and small, Im not sure if it has any go to it. If i read right the speed on the lake is no more than 5mph going clockwise, right? It has a 50Hp Force outboard on it, I would like to open it up just to see what is has. Maybe when no one is around or looking? Are there any boats patroling out on the water?

Have you taken a Boating Safety Course?
I learned a lot when I took mine.
If this is your first boat, it will give you a lot of confidence.
I agree, as stated earlier, don't try to do the first launch on opening day. It gets REALLY crazy.
Good luck and hope to see you on the water.

It is my first boat. I havent taken the Boating Saftey Course yet but would like to when I get the time. But, I been around boats and did the launching before, but never myself.

AAKK
10-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Are you the one who holding a meeting for a group of Vietnamese anglers on 11/07 ? If that's you, i will give you a hand because i will be going too.
PS:i know Mr.Bond

primo55
11-03-2009, 07:58 AM
I was in the same spot earlier this year,had just bought my first boat and had never launched!! takes a couple times to get it down,i waited for ramp traffic to die down..then took my time and all was good!! other boaters gave me a hand,am sure you will be helped as well,good luck!:Smile:

kinguyen
11-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I took the boat out on the following Sunday and it was SLOW. Perfect timing for me I guess, felt like I have the whole lake/launch ramp to myself. There were a few others but not many. Launched the boat around 9:30am, took me a few times to back the boat down on the water. I bet the guys up at the tackleshop that were watching me had a good laugh.

I was out fishing with mackeral but but didnt get a single bite, not even a nibble. I got SKUNKED first time at the VINE. Its all good, I had a good time with the new boat and found out it floated and ran :). Problem free so far, YAY!! I guess thats why they call it fishing and not catching right? I was out there till 3pm, decided to head back.

The boat started stalling on me right when I almost got to the dock. My heart started racing and I started to panic.. So I tried to crank her over a few times but she still wouldnt fire up :(. So I looked at the 2 gas tanks and sure enough I was outta fuel on the one tank I was running on. I swithed the line over, pumped the damn thing and cranked it over a few times and BAM, she fired right up..

Over all I like the lake and had a blast getting in the water. I had a great time but would of been better if I woulda caught some fish. This was the week before they stocked up on all the good stuff. I never caught rainbow trout before and hopefully things will change in my future runs out there..

I had a few questions about this Sunday. Is that tournament going to be this Sunday 11/15? Will the launch ramp be busy around 9am Sunday? I'd like to get out there this Sunday when all the traffic/line dies out. Does the trout stop bitting around NOON?

fisherman from long beach
11-09-2009, 04:09 PM
first time i launched a boat it was empty at the ramp,but i have a uncle that has a very short fuse,he chewed me a new one.maybe some helpful advise,when backing down and you notice trailor starting to turn,do OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOUR USED TO.when your mind tells you turn left go right,just take your time.you'll be ok.also backing down a ramp is easy,wait till you get home and have to back it down your drive way.lol