PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Morning Biters!

hookup90247
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi all...Just posting up in case you were wondering about the Castaic bite after the wild winds over the last few days. The bite is still happening and you can really post up some numbers if you have a dip net for the shad. My buddy Brandon and I were in the park early today and went straight for the cove thats to the side of the West Ramp. We were both bit on our first casts without seeing one boil. I had a nice 3lb largemouth and Brandon had a same size striper. The bite slowed down shortly thereafter so we headed around to the main ramp. We fished to the right at the first point and picked up another striper and largemouth. The wind laid down for a while and it was really nice out there. We noticed a few guys fishing on the dam and they were hookin fish. We decided to hit that spot before we call it a day so we walk over there and noticed that these guys had a ton of shad and were pretty much hooking up immediately. For them it was one after another. I'm already committed to picking up a dip net now. Well we didn't end up hooking anything off the dam so we called it and headed home. It was a fun morning fishing and I'm looking for heading back out there really soon.

Take care everyone and I hope you get in on a little of this fall fishing up there!

Fire Ball
10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
I really want a shad net too! Too bad they are really expensive for a good one. I should be on my boat on the upper lake on Sunday. I really want to catch my first striper! Last week the wind was really bad, but it looks like the wind isn't going to be very bad this week.

WHAMMY
10-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the report! I was there this morning too around 8am but not for fishing, our company is working on the lake right now doing some construction. Maybe ill bring a rod out next time

JimmyFSU
10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
im makin my own shad net. i wont pay 200-300 bucks for one, thats ridiculous.

Fire Ball
10-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Tell me how to make one or make me one and I will pay you, lol.

JimmyFSU
10-29-2009, 09:15 PM
im still looking at netting. i'll post something up soon. i should make them. and sell them haha.

GeordyBass
10-29-2009, 09:24 PM
im still looking at netting. i'll post something up soon. i should make them. and sell them haha.
they sell the netting at bob sands I think,,,

basscat
10-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I have seen some guys using a swimming pole and the leaves catcher net by cutting the net part out and using what appeared to be a casting net that you can buy from Wallymart, and used that casting net material to scoop up the shads.

Good luck in the guy's trying to make your own....if you do, post up with pics, thanks!

tenderloin
10-29-2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.whatsonsale.co.nz/product/61980.aspx

E man
10-30-2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.whatsonsale.co.nz/product/61980.aspx

that would catch a whole school of shad. unfortunately it's illegal. the net's circumference can be no more than 36"...

the initial investment is high but it'll provide you years of service. you get what you pay for. it's worth it if you have a slow day turn to an 80+ fish day.

BIG0FISH
10-30-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-shad-net#page=1

much cheaper. dont know if its any better though.