PDA

View Full Version : My first DVL day

SeaSick17
10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Wow did it suck!!!! Windy was crazy, looked like the ocean out there at times. Fished 4 hours for nothing, not even a bite. I threw everything at them and nothing. Didnt see much of anyone getting anything. Saw a guy near me get 2 small ones that were about 6 inches and that was it.

samgann93
10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
what were you fishing for? boat or shore? he caught what? trout, bass??? where were you fishing?

thanks for the update

SeaSick17
10-29-2009, 08:33 AM
fishing for bass on a boat. Fish the east cove damn area and a cove directly across from the ramp. The guy caught 2 small bass. I didn't venture anywhere else due to the conditions and I was getting soaked.

TopwaterTony
10-29-2009, 09:39 AM
That sucks that it was that windy. One of my friends went also and caught the same skunky brewster. Don't be discouraged though, like I told him, you paid half price for the rental and the weather was against you so there is always next time.

TrouTracker
10-29-2009, 10:30 AM
To SS- DVL because of it's immense size, is not an easy lake to fish. There's just so much water to cover to try and find fish. And, without a fish finder, you're basically fishing "blind". There's a bunch of us who've been fishing the Jewel since it opened and are still learning the lake. Be patient and study the lake as much as possible now while the water is down. This will be totally invaluable information when the lake comes back up. Spend some quality time with the DV marina guys and they'll give you a few tips. Also, go talk to the guys at Last Chance in Hemet. They'll give you a lot of pointers on what's hot at the lake, where to target and the right stuff to use. If you're willing to do your homework, you'll find the Jewel to be a great place to catch some quality fish.....
Barry A. Ogawa

SeaSick17
10-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks Barry, I know I will get back there again. Just wish it had been a better day. Oh well beats going to work lol

Matt_Magnone
10-29-2009, 06:58 PM
wind was a bit strong out there today buddy. dont worry about the first trip and first skunk; it happens. diamond is a lake where if you're not 100% tuned into the bite and fish you'll have a day full of casting vs. a day full of catching. right now there is an immense amount of bait and the fish are right in the middle of their fall transition. fish have been macking bait and are starting to wander down deeper as the lake turns over. this being the reason we were witnessing boils beyond belief in past months and now few and far between.

thinking of a lake having 3 layers, a top, middle and bottom layer, as the cooler days and cooler nights approach, the surface temp starts to drop and become denser. this layer of water starts sinking forcing the middle and bottom half of the water column to the surface. the thermocline (most hospitable oxygen level of the lake) begins to sink. baitfish are the most suseptible and will hover around the thermocline therefore bringing the lakes other species looking for the easy meal. being that diamond is a bait lake, find the bait; find the fish.

try capitalizing on the low light conditions and run to the backs of shaded coves. you'll still find busting fish. work a cove for a while then motor to the next. then the next and so on. main lake points and rockslides are still key spots and you can always pull fish off them. try fishing 30'-40' with traditional techniques and you'll find em.

the lake has absolutely zero fishing pressure as on any given day, the lake has less than 20 boats on the water. just so you all know, the fish are on the chew HARD! downsize your tackle, bring the light line (2#-6#) and think shad if you just want to just catch a few. carolina rig, jig and big worm and get some good ones and fish the larger baits if you want to get a donkey.

stop in last chance and we'll fill you in buddy. hope this helps :Big Grin:

fishntime
10-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Sick info Matt, you clarified a whole lot to a bunch of us.

SeaSick17
10-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks Matt, wow that was a lot of info. I feel like I should be paying you hahahaha. Not sure when I will be back out again but next time I will be better prepared.
George

Matt_Magnone
10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
no sweat guys. im up at the lake every day so if you see the silver chevy truck there at 3AM with a big G Loomis sticker on the rear window, say hello. im always willing to share info

eddiefishtaco
11-01-2009, 10:50 PM
November is a weird month for LM bass
they're eating a lot, getting fat for winter,
but your fishing plan can not be the same as summertime...

this month we'll see lost of skunks and lots of big fish too
days when the lake will be dead due to very low BM pressure
and bad (cold) temps..and days when hell will break loose
it will be a matter of being at the right time and the right place

the bait fish will be moving a lot so keep an eye on the birds
they can find the bait...

good luck and have fun

bblbasser
11-02-2009, 06:22 AM
SeaSick17 you have a private message.