PDA

View Full Version : RE: 2 or 4-stroke

basscat
10-28-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm thinking of getting a bass boat in the future (maybe sometimes early next year, if I still have a steady paying job). :Crying:

Most of the older bass boats are with the 2 strokes and if Castaic or Pyramid Lake policy changes one year to make ALL outboards like DVL's requirement of 4 strokers only, I'd rather put my time and effort into a 4 stroker when I start to search more seriously.

I prefer the 4 stroker's cleaner emissions, very to no oil smell or burning, but most of the older boats (1970-1980's) I see come with the "wrong" engine if that day arises.

My question is does anyone know if there could be pending changes to only 4 strokers allowed at either lakes?

fisherman from long beach
10-28-2009, 01:45 PM
imo go with the 4 stroke,so you dont have it change in the future,california is one of the most strict.i have a 2stroke but i only go in the big lake.

hook1fred
10-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Most of the older bass boats are with the 2 strokes and if Castaic or Pyramid Lake policy changes one year to make ALL outboards like DVL's requirement of 4 strokers only

you were misinformed not ALL 2 strokes are banned from diamond valley just non DFI outboards ( such a older carb motors, EFI's ect ) here is a copy from dvl's website

Engine Requirements.

To be allowed onto the reservoirs, you’ll need the cleaner burning models that comply with California Air Resources Board emission standards for model year 2001 or later (or the equivalent 2006 standard set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency)

With the exception of personal watercraft, all four-cycle engines (regardless of year) are allowed on DVL and Lake Skinner.

If your engine is model year 2001 or later , and made by the following major marine engine manufacturers , it should comply:

Johnson and Evinrude.
Honda Motor Corp.
Yamaha Motor Corp.
Suzuki Motor Corp.
Tohatsu Corp.
Mercury Marine.
Nissan Marine.
If you are still not sure look for the stars New technology engines (model year 2001 and later) have a one-to-three star decal showing they comply with emission standards. Or check for the label EPA-certified engines from 1998 to 2000 display an Emission Control Information label that shows it complies with 2001 (or later) California emission regulations for spark-ignition marine engines.

For supporting details, check the owner's manual or the manufacturer's Web site.

What about pre-1998 engines?

Pre-1998 two-cycle engines that use carburetors or electronic fuel injection (EFI) technology, will not comply with the combustion engine requirements for use on DVL or Lake Skinner.

Kevman
10-29-2009, 11:45 PM
What hook1 said.

The 2-stroke DFI outboards in the smaller (115 HP or less) sizes are great! Unbeatable hole-shot, blistering acceleration, and often higher top speed than comparable 4-strokes. Less moving parts to break too, and parts are moving slower, plus tried and tested blocks and internals. Most 2-strokes are bulletproof. Look at how many old ones you still see on the lakes.

Many 2-stroke DFIs also get better gas mileage than the comparable 4-strokes as well. Google up some comparison tests vs. 4-strokes and you'll see. The 2-stroke DFIs don't smoke, don't require you to mix oil and gas (they have computer-controlled oil injection), and often idle smoother and/or at lower RPMs which is excellent for trolling. Tohatsu/Nissan DFIs actually have an adjustable 3-speed idle that you can toggle with the key from 700-800-900 RPMs. Let's you troll slow even off your main motor.

I have a 2006 Tohatsu (Nissan) 50HP TLDI (their name for DFI) and it's by far the best motor I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few! Burns about 1/4 of a gallon per hour of fuel at 700RPM trolling! Gets 5-6 MPG running wide open, too!

If you need a mid-size motor (40-115HP) you should definitely look into the Tohatsu/Nissan DFIs and the Evinrude ETECs.

Good luck with your search!
Kev

GeordyBass
10-31-2009, 08:49 AM
What hook1 said.

The 2-stroke DFI outboards in the smaller (115 HP or less) sizes are great! Unbeatable hole-shot, blistering acceleration, and often higher top speed than comparable 4-strokes. Less moving parts to break too, and parts are moving slower, plus tried and tested blocks and internals. Most 2-strokes are bulletproof. Look at how many old ones you still see on the lakes.

Many 2-stroke DFIs also get better gas mileage than the comparable 4-strokes as well. Google up some comparison tests vs. 4-strokes and you'll see. The 2-stroke DFIs don't smoke, don't require you to mix oil and gas (they have computer-controlled oil injection), and often idle smoother and/or at lower RPMs which is excellent for trolling. Tohatsu/Nissan DFIs actually have an adjustable 3-speed idle that you can toggle with the key from 700-800-900 RPMs. Let's you troll slow even off your main motor.

I have a 2006 Tohatsu (Nissan) 50HP TLDI (their name for DFI) and it's by far the best motor I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few! Burns about 1/4 of a gallon per hour of fuel at 700RPM trolling! Gets 5-6 MPG running wide open, too!

If you need a mid-size motor (40-115HP) you should definitely look into the Tohatsu/Nissan DFIs and the Evinrude ETECs.

Good luck with your search!
Kev
Evinrude E-tecs Are all DFI 2 strokes, quieter than 4strokes, cleaner, more fuel efficient, way lighter,and more powerful.

Tohatsu/Nissan Is the Best from 115 and down(115 is the biggest)....

You have pretty much a lot of options bro.
But usually you'd have to spend about 10k-15k in a used decent boat with either a 4stroke or DFI....

I have my little 13' Gregor w/ a honda 8hp so I can fish in DVL,,, 18-20mph is top speed but at least I'm legal there,,,lol,,,

BIG0FISH
10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
i could be wrong or maybe i was told wrong info about 2 strokes.
previously i owned a 2 stroke mercury 115hp outboard and it was wasting alot of gas. reason being is that eveytime the piston comes up it fires vesus a 4 stroke motor fires every other turn. i've been to catalina with a 2stroke mercury motor and by the time i got there i had to refill(going top speed). i currently own an inboard motor which is a 4.3ltr mercruiser 190hp and with it i went to catalina and trolled pretty much all day long and filled up just before decided to leave. gas is expensive at cat but i just dont have the patience to cruise. lol.

Kevman
11-01-2009, 06:38 PM
BIG0FISH, you're thinking about the old-school two strokes, which were really thirsty motors. With the old technology, up to 20-30% of your fuel was released unburned in the exhaust of old two stroke motors. That's one of the reasons why they were such gas hogs, and one reason why they pollute the lakes so much.

With the new two strokes, it's a totally different technology. The gas that is detonated is either atomized before entry into the cylinder or as it enters the cylinder, and pressurized air is used to facilitate a complete and efficient burn. Some designs such as Tohatsu/Nissan use low air pressure which others such as Yamaha's HPDI use very high pressure.

As far as the speed of the internals, the 4-stroke is actually the one moving doubly-fast. More parts inside (higher design complexity) and everything moving twice as fast = more possibility for breakage, IMO. It's the same reason the large displacement normally-aspirated diesels run forever and the small displacement higher-RPM turbo-charged models blow out after 3,000 hours.

Just do a google search of owner satisfaction on the Tohatsu/Nissan TLDI motors and the Evinrude ETEC motors and you'll see why people love these motors and pay top dollar for them. It's because they're worth it!

Kev

RoastedBlueGill
11-03-2009, 05:14 PM
i recently went from a 50 hp merc 4 stroke to a new 90 hp optimax. the difference in weight was only about 7 pounds heavier. much more power and acceleration. but of course, more fuel is used when i get on it.