PDA

View Full Version : Playing Hookie Duct Style

yolo
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Well it's been a week and half since I fished and have been working finally, but this morning on the way to work, I had a feeling. Since my rod is always with me, I pulled off the freeway on the way in and had to make a few casts. Water was moving really good. I would guess at least 3/4 open gates so I decide to throw the 2oz bucktail with white trailer. Third cast and it hits hard on the fall and I am hooked up. It is fighting really good and staying all the way on the other side of the duct just running up flow. I can't turn it yet so I am just working her. Several drag peels and runs and she finally turns going down stream but still not wanting to come towards me. I am now slowly following her down stream as she just wants to get away. Finally I am making some progress on bringing her towards me and she runs again mid way and surfaces to make a little commotion on top. I keep working her and she is starting to tire. Me too, lol. I get her to the edge and get the trusty lip gripper on her and she is all mine.

She was 28" long and meaty with a pretty big belly. My scale would not read so I could not weigh her. I would guess 8lbs on the low side but that might be for an anemic striper. This one could have been another DD duct striper for me at possibly right around 10lbs but I'll never know.

Ran home real quick to fillet and examine stomach contents. This was the bloodiest fish I have ever cut up. No wonder she was fighting like mad. There was a lot of blood pumping through her. It was insane the amount of blood she had. There was also a somewhat fresh perch in her gut and a bunch of water. I mean a bunch. I cut the belly and it was like a waterfall of water or whatever type of liquid in the stomach gushing out all over the counter and then floor. No wonder she had a fat belly on her.

So I am now at my shop and my guys are asking me if I went on vacation since coming in so late. I just told them I had to see the doctor because I am sick :Wink: The prescription was duct striper, drag peeling, hard fighting fish!

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-28-09/10-28-09a.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-28-09/10-29-09b.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-28-09/IMG_3697.jpg

kpn
10-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Good job there Zoli. I may make a trip up that way shortly.

KPN.

yolo
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks Khahn. If you do, let me know? I need to buy some lures from you. It would be convenient if you are coming up to the AV anyway. I hung up the skinny shad but at least that caught me 2 fish before losing it. The skinny perch hung up on my first cast with it and broke it off :(

trail blazer
10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
beautiful Striper yolo,,,,,,,,,looks lioke a DD to me bro,,,,,,,,id say at least 10

yolo
10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks man! Yeah according to a length to weight chart, avg. for 28" is 10.3lbs. but I like to post the facts and the fact is my scale is not reading. I think some dirt is in there because even when I pull on it really hard, it will show an ounce or two. Oh well. I forgot I had a pic on my phone too. Here it is with the lure still in its mouth. No secrets from me. Check the bulging meat on the back. She was tough!

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-28-09/10-28-09c.jpg

trail blazer
10-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Is that a UNDERSPIN jig bro????????

cutbait
10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Nice quality fish. Its in that range of 10 lbs for sure.

yolo
10-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Is that a UNDERSPIN jig bro????????

Yes it has a small spinning blade underneath. Color is chartreuse on top with a silver middle and white bottom. I had a white curly tail trailer on it too. Closest thing I could find to a silverside minnow pattern.

Nice quality fish. Its in that range of 10 lbs for sure.

Thanks.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Congrats, nice fish!

all of the fish I've been getting out there lately have been really girthy and huge backs on them.

One of the bigger models I got last wed had 1 HUGE perch that was at least 5 inches and it was 1/4 decomposed already, also had another 3 inch perch and 2 silversides and leftover sculpin....

they are aggresive right now and way yoked, that fight is phenominal, especially in that heavy current...Drag peela's but I'm sure you know that after that battle : ).

Nice work on that fat fish !

The KPN is still workin for me but that 2 oz bucktail seems to be a good choice in te heavy current seams.

Very Nice !

Congrats,
Gary

yolo
10-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Congrats, nice fish!

all of the fish I've been getting out there lately have been really girthy and huge backs on them.

One of the bigger models I got last wed had 1 HUGE perch that was at least 5 inches and it was 1/4 decomposed already, also had another 3 inch perch and 2 silversides and leftover sculpin....

they are aggresive right now and way yoked, that fight is phenominal, especially in that heavy current...Drag peela's but I'm sure you know that after that battle : ).

Nice work on that fat fish !

The KPN is still workin for me but that 2 oz bucktail seems to be a good choice in te heavy current seams.

Very Nice !

Congrats,
Gary

Thanks. I see nowhere near the perch that I did last year and previous years. Many people up here net them by the dozens and use them for live bait (illegal). I think it has finally hurt the perch population. I'll see one, two or three here and there but not the schools of hundreds and hundreds like before. I am seeing more and more schools of silversides and they seem to be getting larger and larger. That will be the food of choice for the stripers this fall and winter. I did also see lots and lots of sculpin this year. Those are some stupid and lazy fish. I was able to scoop some of them up with my palm at the waters edge on several occasions.

What did the Bako fish have in their belly?

cutbait
10-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Nothing in their stomach. Though the fish I cleaned several nights ago had 3 silversides, 2 sculpin, and one LARGE 5-6 in. threadfin shad.

duce
10-28-2009, 05:39 PM
very nice!

yolo
10-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Shad. Now that is something that has been absent in the duct down here this year.