PDA

View Full Version : DMV Register Inflatable?

Freshness21
10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Do I have to register my little Sevylor inflatable raft with the DMV if I am going to attach an electric trolling motor to it and use it in a lake?

Socal Bassman
10-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Do I have to register my little Sevylor inflatable raft with the DMV if I am going to attach an electric trolling motor to it and use it in a lake?

Yes. Any vessel powered by a motor has to be registered with the DMV.

INDOANGLER2.1
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM

I am pretty sure you do not need to register it if you have just an electric trolling motor. The same goes for an aluminum boat, only if you have a regular motor it needs to be reistered. To be sure check with the DMV.

Nessie Hunter
10-29-2009, 07:45 AM
If it is Motorized (whether gas or electric) It must be registered....!!!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

What Vessels Must be Registered?

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.

The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship’s lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.

Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).

Kevman
10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
If it is Motorized (whether gas or electric) It must be registered....!!!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

What Vessels Must be Registered?

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.

The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship’s lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.

Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).

x2. Even float tubes with electric motors must be registered!

Poxy Boggards
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
It really depends on where you want to fish with it.

If you taking it out to Irvine or Carona, no problem, just use it as is.

If you want to take it out to the salt, or anywhere besides a pay lake then you will need to register it with the DMV.

Make sure to find the Hull ID number before going down to the DMV.

Freshness21
10-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the intel guys. My reading of the regs was that I needed to register too, but I thought I'd ask the experts before I sent $$ for possibly no good reason. It just seems like a lot of hassle for my little setup, but whatever

Good luck

TROUT SEASON!!

Hometown
10-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the intel guys. My reading of the regs was that I needed to register too, but I thought I'd ask the experts before I sent $$ for possibly no good reason. It just seems like a lot of hassle for my little setup, but whatever

Good luck

TROUT SEASON!!

I have the same boat i beleave and I had to get tags and cf # I have the fishhunter.Good luck :HOMETOWN:

Nessie Hunter
10-29-2009, 07:21 PM
It really depends on where you want to fish with it.

If you taking it out to Irvine or Carona, no problem, just use it as is.

If you want to take it out to the salt, or anywhere besides a pay lake then you will need to register it with the DMV.

Must I Register a Vessel Used Exclusively on a Private Lake?

Yes; any vessel that is used or moored on California waterways, including private lakes, must be registered.

AL JUNIOR
11-03-2009, 09:54 PM
just registered mine. cost only 30 bucks.