PDA

View Full Version : Bait Tech, Presentations,housing

Redkorn
10-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey guys.....

This year I finally got around to buy some bait cages but...it seems to not be very productive. Yes I have gotten lobsters and crabs but also fish...starfish and snails. It keeps the seals out and the bait safe but can become and issue if I toss it out from the jetty or pier by it snaging on bait cage....Also since theres just a cord keeping the cage closed I have to use zip ties to keep seal out of it....

But in the past Ive used the socked built in bait sack on the bottom of the cage but seals...high current takes the bait away by being sucked or just plain old ran off with.

So I tryed using old t-shirts and tossing in squid,chovies,macks in it and mashing it all up then poking holes into it to let the sent out then attaching it to the net. But it comes and issue and a chore for me to untie rebait then tie up again after two sets. But both produce more.....

Pretty much what I wanted to know if you guys know of a better way to keep bait in, making it easy to rebait, and in not in bulky way so the net wont snag or catch it?

I was thing about attaching mess sacks (3) to the in side walls of the net....but not so attached that would snag the netting.....

Also thinking about but dont know if I am permitted too, putting on more finer netting on the bottom ring to help keep bait in there with some kind of locking it up.

The night before I head out fishing....I blenderfi my bait then freez it...then let it sit out alittle before I take off.

this is also a really good way for anyone to catch bait fish...while im hooping...my buddys toss out the bait catch rigs next to my hoop...since the scales,sent and chunks of the blenderfied bait floating away from my hoops....attracting macks and other bait fish.

So let me know if my ideas are bad,good, wrong or better...if you another way of doing please post pics or reply.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Wildhorse1966
10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
what i have done in the past is get my mackerel chop it up to fit in the cages and pour fish sauce on it then put it in a ziplock bag and freeze it again till i am ready to use it .. after its been soaking in the water for a few hours and the smell is wearing off i will pour a little more of the fish sauce on it

now to answer your question to why would i use it (because i know you want to know) .. because it has a fishy flavor to it and it attracts the lobster / crab to your bait

where to buy this fish sauce at? i buy mine at the 99 ranch market where i buy my bait ..

what does it look like ? well i will put up a picture of it so you guys know what to look for FYI i get the bottle on the right but i am sure any brand will work

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/2531256851_c9cd8d2c89.jpg

kwest10
10-27-2009, 01:59 PM
your net is probably getting snagged more than the bait cage itself.
I was thinking about tupperware with locking lids and hols drilled into it. Then zip tie it to the bottom through the holes. Easy to fill and keeps the seals out.
Wildhorse...I thought i was the only one that tried the fish sauce. I put mine in little tiny squeeze bottles with the lid open so it leaks out. 60 cents from sport chalet in the camping section.
Didn't have any better luck with it though

Ricky-Ray
10-27-2009, 02:19 PM
This is what I was told by another lobster guy. Keep the bait's as big as possible and just shove it into the cage. The seal will try and get it out of the cage but once he realizes that he can't he will leave it alone and leave, and since you have big bait's sitting in the cage once the lobsters get there they wouldn't want to leave right away because of the giant feast that they are chowing on.

Seems to make sense to me.

kwest10
10-27-2009, 02:22 PM
This is what I was told by another lobster guy. Keep the bait's as big as possible and just shove it into the cage. The seal will try and get it out of the cage but once he realizes that he can't he will leave it alone and leave, and since you have big bait's sitting in the cage once the lobsters get there they wouldn't want to leave right away because of the giant feast that they are chowing on.

Seems to make sense to me.

I was told the same. If you chunk it, the bugs can pull a piece through the cage and run back to their hidey hole to eat. They skeerd to be out in the open

Redkorn
11-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Well guys I got another tip from someone ealse on another website for bait holders and its dirt cheap, easy to make, Fast to rebait, and its anti seal.

So tomarrow Im going to head down to home depot for all the stuff I need to make it.

Heres the list

Bright colored zip ties (makes it easyer to find and attach)

Plastic mesh netting( The kind you find on the over flow for your washer so lint and what not wont go down the line)

The way this all works out is that you cut the mesh any length you want then fold it 3/4 over it self, then zip tie two sides down. Then using a clip to hold down the lip. After that just toss in bait.

Plan on making 3 big ones for macs 5x8in and 9 little ones for squid and chovies will post pics of it after im done making them.

Thanks for the read.

fisherman from long beach
11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
cant wait to see it.

ahhvtec
11-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Well guys I got another tip from someone ealse on another website for bait holders and its dirt cheap, easy to make, Fast to rebait, and its anti seal.

So tomarrow Im going to head down to home depot for all the stuff I need to make it.

Heres the list

Bright colored zip ties (makes it easyer to find and attach)

Plastic mesh netting( The kind you find on the over flow for your washer so lint and what not wont go down the line)

The way this all works out is that you cut the mesh any length you want then fold it 3/4 over it self, then zip tie two sides down. Then using a clip to hold down the lip. After that just toss in bait.

Plan on making 3 big ones for macs 5x8in and 9 little ones for squid and chovies will post pics of it after im done making them.

Thanks for the read.

Or you can go to the 99 cent store and pick up cages there for less than a buck. They have them to transport birds. Little green 8"x8" x2" cages.

Redkorn
11-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Well its not really a cage its more of a package......

Here's the scoop.....I went down to home depot for mesh netting...got bounced around the store....then come to find out the mesh rolls I want are out of stock and I had to get one of lesser thickness which means it weaker and can tare easy....but thats life....going to see if I can find betting netting at sav-on. I did pick up bait there but I had a smiple jack moment and forgot about the mesh netting.

Anywho heres the pic that the guy from the other website showed me....it was on ebay pre-made for about 3.00 bucks so I saved the pic so I can show you guys want Im talking about.

klocked
11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Or you can go to the 99 cent store and pick up cages there for less than a buck. They have them to transport birds. Little green 8"x8" x2" cages.

That's too easy :LOL:

HESBROS
11-03-2009, 05:03 PM
That's too easy :LOL:

Yep! Thats what we use now.

klocked
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Yep! Thats what we use now.

Why re-invent the baitcage, those 99¢ cages work great.

1. Toss the bait into it without zipties
2. Put the cage into the nets' pouch and zip tie it

Carbiner works better but we all like to zip tie things once in a while:Envious:

HESBROS
11-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Why re-invent the baitcage, those 99¢ cages work great.

1. Toss the bait into it without zipties
2. Put the cage into the nets' pouch and zip tie it

Carbiner works better but we all like to zip tie things once in a while:Envious:

Now John, you know Zip ties require cutting and there for they dont allow for the quick change out between sets :LOL:.

A good idea is buy twice as many as you need, then if you need to change bait you can just have the extras loaded and change them out as needed.

klocked
11-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Now John, you know Zip ties require cutting and there for they dont allow for the quick change out between sets :LOL:.

A good idea is buy twice as many as you need, then if you need to change bait you can just have the extras loaded and change them out as needed.

I already know that Eddie, but every man loves to use a good, strong, well designed seal proof zip tie at least once in their lifetime. Notice that I also mentioned the other option of using Carbiners in place of zip ties.

HESBROS
11-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I already know that Eddie, but every man loves to use a good, strong, well designed seal proof zip tie at least once in their lifetime. Notice that I also mentioned the other option of using Carbiners in place of zip ties.

LOL, did not know you were so sensitive over zip ties.......nest timne we will let you zip tie something. :LOL:

klocked
11-05-2009, 07:13 AM
LOL, did not know you were so sensitive over zip ties.......nest timne we will let you zip tie something. :LOL:

HAHAHA, no not me, I've had my share of zip ties. They work great for other things but not for efficient hooping.