PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about wrapping some custom

mil sonrisas
10-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Been thinking about making a few custom rods for my dad, brothers and girlfriend. I know what I'm doing for them, but I plan on doing plenty of saltwater fishing next year and would some advice.I want to go out on a few full dayers and maybe a couple of day and half boats.
Gonna get a couple of the new avett raptors to put on them and am gonna do what they call 'tuna wrap' for the handle/butt portions. My question is what would be the appropiate size and action I should order the blanks in. Been lokking through a few catalogs and have seen way to many options! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

samgann93
10-27-2009, 07:14 AM
what size tuna are you going after? open party boats or private? fishing live bait or jigs? what size line do you want to use?

im wrapping myself a new 30lb tuna outfit. its a Super Seeker CJBF80. Alps guides. Tuna cord handle with a small turks head. Sounds like this might kinda be what you after???

mil sonrisas
10-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for replying so quick.
Well, open party boats. Been out a few times on the pursuit and caught plenty of bonito on their rental rods. I saw plenty of custom setups and was not very impressed. I love building things and since I've joined the Army haven't had a chance to build anything. I figured, custom rods won't take up too much room and I can do it in my small room.
I used a crippled herring jig and had great success. So, yes, I plan on using jigs. As far as size of fish I'll be seeking? Any! I plan on using 30lb test. Would also like to use live bait when more productive. Honestly, I'm hooked! Would like to use it for other types of fishing too. Not only on boats. Like I said thanks for the response.

samgann93
10-27-2009, 04:09 PM
well the rod im wrapping (cjbf80) i think would be good for all that. its an 8ft rod that is used for live bait fishing. it can throw jigs/irons. it is a little expensive so you could go with something else but this seeker is an AWESOME stick.

calico killer kevin
10-27-2009, 05:59 PM
I would recommend a Rainshadow ISWB946 Blank. Rated 25-40lb and can handle anything you catch on a one day trip. Rainshadow blanks are the best value blanks available IMO second only to the Mudhole MHX blanks. Thing is the SW MHX Series has not come out yet, but when they do, I'll probably wrap like 10 of them. Working on three of their bass blanks and man are they sweet.

Though, if you have the $$$ to dish out on Raptors, I would recommend the Phenix blanks. The PSW 868MH would be perfect. I have wrapped this blank before and it's power-weight ratio is one of the best I've ever felt.
If you have any Q's toss them out and I'll see if I can answer them.

mil sonrisas
10-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Hey Calico Killer,
Thanks! I have a catalouge from mudhole already. And, lol, I'm in the Army. So, no, I don't have the $$$, but like I said I am making these for next year. After trout season. I'm gonna start of with a beginer kit, maybe two. I've looked at all the blanks you mentioned and am considering the rainbow shadow blanks.
Right now I'm just trying to get some info. I'm gonna start ordering stuff this weekend. A kit or two, some thread in the colors I plan on using, and a couple books. I say I should have my first one done by mid december. I'll make sure to post some pics. And I really do appreciate your help. I will definitely shoot you a pm if I have any questions. Oh, and I have plenty of expirience with epoxy, I used to build custom sailboats for 3 yrs. Thinking about doing one with some marbling. Maybe a tiger wrap also!

calico killer kevin
10-28-2009, 07:25 PM
If you can dish out for the Raptors, you don't want to skimp out on the rod. There are many reels with better value than them.

My advice is to finish the rods so you have a usable arsenal and then wrap some Tigers, whatever. That way you won't get frustrated with the wrap and not end up finishing the rod. I personally am not very good with thread work, so I keep my rods ergonomic and economic. I am more of a hardware guy than a fancy wrap guy anyway.

Oh and how small is a small room because the blanks I'm recommending are upwards of 8'.

Took me almost 5 months to finish my first wrap because I was being lazy lol. Take your time and perfect what you are after. Remember that anything you mess up can be undone.

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the area, do yourself a huge favor and head over to C&M Custom Tackle in San Dimas. They will have all the components you need as well as helpful tips. Their website is Acidrod.com and they have very fast and very cheap shipping.

You will be addicted after your first rod, I gurantee it. Just as Sam haha.

samgann93
10-28-2009, 09:13 PM
If you can dish out for the Raptors, you don't want to skimp out on the rod. There are many reels with better value than them.

My advice is to finish the rods so you have a usable arsenal and then wrap some Tigers, whatever. That way you won't get frustrated with the wrap and not end up finishing the rod. I personally am not very good with thread work, so I keep my rods ergonomic and economic. I am more of a hardware guy than a fancy wrap guy anyway.

Oh and how small is a small room because the blanks I'm recommending are upwards of 8'.

Took me almost 5 months to finish my first wrap because I was being lazy lol. Take your time and perfect what you are after. Remember that anything you mess up can be undone.

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the area, do yourself a huge favor and head over to C&M Custom Tackle in San Dimas. They will have all the components you need as well as helpful tips. Their website is Acidrod.com and they have very fast and very cheap shipping.

You will be addicted after your first rod, I gurantee it. Just as Sam haha.

haha yes its true. i completly agree with what kevin said. get the rod done before you do anything fancy. itll get you quite fustrated at times.

for me it took 3 days to wrap my first rod and then 2+ for the layers of epoxy to dry. i enjoy it a lot!!!

im just like kevin in that im more of a hardware guy. id rather have really nice components on a rod then have fancy wraps. i do have crazy respect for the guys that are good at those special wraps though. just not my style.

imo i hate avets. just my opinion and i know some guys love them. i dont know how much a raptor is but i know for my 30lb rod im wrapping, ill be putting a daiwa saltist 30t on it. great reel!!!

good luck,
sam