PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 10-23: No shad, no service

AnglerBob
10-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Got shad? If you did, you were in the money Friday at Castaic. If, on the other hand, you checked your personal shad supply and found it lacking, you were in for a rough day.

Bassmaster Jack and I arrived just prior to opening, to find a sizable line of bass boats. “Are you sure it isn’t a holiday,” I asked in amazement, not yet having seen the piece in WON about the topwater fishing at Castaic. Fortunately, the line moved quickly upon opening and soon we were ready to rent a boat and head out.

At the bait shop, the boat-rental guy was involved in a serious mound conference with a guy who looked familiar, that I later recognized as “Trout Only.” Gathering ‘round, we joined the discussion on strategies and locations. Shortly thereafter, we hit the lake. Our plan was to troll with shad imitations until we’d culled 9 or 10 limits, and then try throwing topwaters at boils for some larger 30-40lb models.

The first blow to our arrogant confidence came early when we realized nobody seemed interested in our trolled offerings. We’d cross over points and huge schools of shad would appear on the meter, with multiple striper arches underneath. The fishfinder looked like the simulation picture. Then I realized, it WAS the simulation picture. But even once I took it out of “demo” mode, there was STILL a helluva lot of fish down there.

Frustrated, we pulled into a cove to look for boils. Several bass boats were there already, but they weren’t fishing: they were busily involved in rounding up shad. Jack studied one boat’s technique in fascination.

“Makin’ shad, eh?” he asked cheerfully.

“Yep.” The guy stared at the shallows, net poised to strike.

“Wow, that’s great! Hey, once you get the shad, where’s a good place to fish?”

The man looked up with only a shred of annoyance. “Brother,” he said, “I’ll tell you what. Once you have the shad, it don’t matter WHERE you fish.”

Setting up camp in the cove, we threw topwaters and baited with anchovies to no avail. We gave up and moved further up the Fish arm, drifting anchovies through Elizabeth Canyon and Dry Gulch. Eventually Jack would get a wrist-wrenching strike; this would be our only nibble all day.

With the day wearing on, we decided to head for the no-fail spot: the buoy line. Surely here the skunk would cease following us and we could once again reclaim our angling dignity. We grabbed a spot between two boats, one a Bayliner with several friendly guys (Vietnamese, I think) who seem to be out there every time I go. These guys must eat striper seven days a week. They sure can catch them. After watching the fourth one bounce over their rail, I apologized to Jack. “Sometimes you’re just not in the right spot here,” I explained. “I think we’re just a bit too deep.” We fished for an hour for nada. Then, miracle of miracles, the Bayliner left. We manuevered into their spot quicker than a dog finds a dropped sausage.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/Castaic%2010-23-09/IMG_0963.jpg
Surely, we'll catch them here.

And we blanked there too. Like fools, we watched as the boat on the OTHER side of use now reeled in fish. The Trout Only guy cruised by the buoy line, trolling in his Crestliner, whose stern rode low in the water from the weight of multiple striper limits. Eventually, we packed it in, trolling some new patterns back to the marina as a sort of Hail Mary pass.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/Castaic%2010-23-09/IMG_0966.jpg
Trolling @ 120 knots, this float plane caught as many stripers as we did.

Although the day ended in failure, I learned a lot from the boat-rental guy and from the FNN-ers who answered my call on setting up trolling rigs, so I think when the fish get a little less shad-crazy I’ll be poised to catch some nice ones. I rigged up an old cheap saltwater outfit (7’ Ugly Stick Tiger, Penn 155) with some 50lb braid and it works great for dragging umbrella rigs. Meanwhile, though, there’s a bad stink here, and it ain’t fish.

Fire Ball
10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
What were you trolling with? I need some tips next time I go. I really wish I could afford a shad net!! I love the quote from the guy you talked to that was catching shad! :ROFL:
Do you usually catch a lot more fish than you did this day?

Lowe Boat
10-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Take a lesson from Trout Only (TO) Bob.
I did and my catch has greatly increased.
You will find after one day with the TO you will have more fun fishing and your striper intake improve.
More fish equals happier wife.
Happier wife means I can go fishing without more honey-do's:Big Grin:

eddie33081
10-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Good no fish write up. Cant wait to here your limit write up :)

dfisher
10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Sorry you didn't catch anything but I am going to have to agree with eddie. I enjoyed that post, good read!

Fishthewhaler
10-27-2009, 05:03 AM
It's gotten tougher out there since the last rain. they have pumped alot of new water in there the last weeks, and the shad is the way to go...We were there sunday for a few until the wind/whitecaps became unbearable for the little whaler.We only landed one fish, and it wasn;t on the troll or topwater. We hit some boils but they were super picky!!I will go back with the shad net after the wind mellows out. Try some bloodworms nexttime w/6lb floro.
FTW

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-27-2009, 11:10 AM
U don't NEED shad right now...
open game if you have 'em but it doesnt depend on it....we slay 'em on lures all day long/....
Topwater, subsurface, troll..

take ur pick

karlow
10-27-2009, 12:44 PM
It's easy for people like Gary. He pratically lives there. Actually he does live there and fishes that lake several times a week. That's a time on the water locals knowlage thing!
I have maybe spent 3 out of the past four Sat for two months there. We do OK now. Sometimes on the troll sometimes on bait. We are not in Garys league yet. When the fish are keyed on Shad, you have to troll and fish artificals. On our last trip, we got zero fish on bait. On the prvious trip we got half our fish on bait. Also It's more fun, if you don't feed um! Fishing the boil is the kind! The problem is I never have found a boil that lasted more than a min. Typically they last for secs.
It's just like fishing in the big water! They are not barries, they tast better. I throw the iron on the 40 string for the skinnies and when they are going it two strikes per cast all you want. Life is not that good on the sweetwater but, the thing to remember is you can not run up on these fish like blackhawk down! You will kill the bite every time fresh or salt! Under the water, a boat 50 yards away sound like it's on top of your head. You need to creep up and make long cast and use your trolling motor.

Go get that skunk smell off and don't run over my fish or my troll lines!

AnglerBob
10-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Karlow, you're right there weren't many boils that day and it did seem like the added boat traffic had put them down. Fishthewhaler, thanks for the tip on Bloodworms. I think the Bayliner guys were using them. Bloody disgusting, and they bite, but sometimes they get the job done. Lowe Boat, I agree a guided trip may be in order. If anyone wants to split costs (weekdays except Wednesday are best for me) please let me know.

fishindude420
10-27-2009, 08:33 PM
wide open on anything right now. i can throw a piece of floating wood with a hook on it and ill stick those stripers

fishinone
10-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Take a lesson from Trout Only (TO) Bob.
I did and my catch has greatly increased.
You will find after one day with the TO you will have more fun fishing and your striper intake improve.
More fish equals happier wife.
Happier wife means I can go fishing without more honey-do's:Big Grin:

This is great advice. Bob put me on troll fish and I've done great ever since.

His service is listed at the top of the page. It's the brown and yellow one. Trout Only's Gide Service.

http://troutonly.net/