PDA

View Full Version : Lone Pine

Fish-N-Fool
07-03-2007, 09:13 PM
We are in the planning stages of our camping trip. We are going to be driving to the Lone Pine area on the 5th of July to scout it out. This is the first time that I am going to be on that side of the Sequioa's so please all suggestions/recommendations are very welcome. What is definately important to me is the fishing. I will be fly fishing (at least trying) and the other people in the group will be using spinning set ups. Information on camping areas preferrably away from people is a plus. As I said earlier this is the first time to the area, and that was a general area. Any information or recommendations you are willing to share is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

fishntoss
07-04-2007, 02:22 AM
If you're camping, I believe its the Lone Pine campground. At the only light in town make a left and follow the road up about 5 miles or so. Not sure of the mileage. You'll see a sign for it. Push come to shove there are two (or was) places to get most of your camping needs. Including info on places to go fishing up there. Sorry bout being so vague but it's been four or five years since Ive been up there.
The one big (for lone pine) restaurant serves a great breakfast if you want some goood cookin. There's a gal who is on this site that is volunteering up at Manzanaar. I mention as its well worh the trip up the 395 to go check it out. Historically and for the information thats available there.
I mention the campground as it has toilets and a fair amount of shade. there are one or two others. I just find that one convienant. Some of the others in the area are primitive campgrounds. Pit toilets if any, and no water.
Keep in mind it's hot up there. You're gonna need lots of water. As you're drivin around the 395 you'll see the tree lined streams coming down out of the mountains.. Most are decent fishing, especially if they've planted recently. There's a couple of "secret" spots that are hard to find. Most people just drive by em others are off the main road a little ways. Again, ask in town. They, for the most part want you to be successful as they want you to come back.
Lone Pine is a pretty lazy town and it's worth going for sure. Actually quite alot to do there. If fishing is slow, try to take a drive up to Whitney Portal. There is a pond up there. Can be crowded for fishing. Still worth the trip.
Anyways, don't get me started :D . If you decide to go back, try May as it's a little cooler and most things are in bloom.. Plus more snow up on the Sierra's.
I believe the left turn in Lone Pine is on Whitney Portal Road. As you drive up just past the farms, you'll see turnouts along the way you can fish at. Sorry I have no info for flyfishing. I know some people do it up there, just not where. Any stream you find you can fish in. Hike up or down the streams and you'll find fish. Watch out for the snakes also.. I have never come across one, but have heard of many others who have.
Like I said, don't get me started...The wife and I love up there. Really have missed it the past few years.. Hope to make it up next year.
Have fun, it's hard not to up there....
OH, none of the campgrounds are very big, so even if they seem full. It's really not that full. If camping don't work out, you can always stay at the Best Western or The Dow Villa motels.. The restaurant I was talkin about is next door to the Dow Villa.. Enjoy............whew.....

gwjones00
07-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Fish-N-Fool:

There are a few places to camp up there. Like fishntoss says - at the only stop light in town turn left. You have about four options out of Lone Pine proper. About 3.5 miles up the road you will see Horseshoe Meadows Road. If you turn left, you will see signs for Tuttle Creek Campground (BLM). The campground is kind of out in the middle of the desert so it will be HOT. No water except from the stream. The stream *is* stocked though, so there is some fishing there. Check out this link for more info: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/bishop/camping/tuttle.html. Further up Horseshoe Meadows Road are some campgrounds (about 15 miles or so), but they are more like starting points for backpackers. No real fishing unless you are going to do some hiking.

If you continue past Hoseshoe Meadows Road, you will run into Lone Pine Campground (NFS) about 6 miles from Lone Pine. The campground is along Lone Pine Creek and has all the normal amenties of a Forest Service Campground. Most of the campsites are somewhat exposed, and since the camp is at 6,000 feet, it has a tendency to get hot during the day. Good fishing in the stream - especially after a plant.

Finally, about 12 miles from Lone Pine, you will reach Whitney Portal. There is a campground here, but it is likely to be a little crowded on the holiday weekend. However, it *is* in the trees and at a little higher elevation (which means some relief from the heat). Also, there is stream fishing and a pond at the end of the road that is stocked heavily. In my opinion, despite the crowds, this is the best camping option in the area. If you want more info on the camppgrounds (including reservations) check out this link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/campgrounds.shtml.

Where ever you end up - have fun! Sure beats sitting at home....

Oh - and last thing - just outside of Lone Pine on the road up Lone Pine Creek, there will be a spot that you can turn left. This little side spur road leads to the "sandtrap" - which is where Lone Pine Creek enters the LA Aqueduct. You can always drop a line there and try your luck. Usually can catch a fish or two in the early AM or late evening. Good luck!

fndaway66
07-04-2007, 02:49 PM
If your dead set on going to Lone Pine all the information above is spot on. It will be HOT!!! If you would like to travel a bit futher, go to Bishop. More campgrounds to choose from. A variety of fishing challenges (streams and lakes) and it will be cooler up in the higher elevations. Good luck and have fun..

Sparky70
07-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Ya might want to check the weather first it's HOT in that area during the day. Last weekend it was 105F in Bishop which is only a little farther north on hwy 395.
Have Fun

Scott H.
07-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Head up the 395 a bit more and go on up to the Glacier Lodge campgrounds. A LOT cooler, less people and you can still come down the mountain and head 15 minutes up the 395 to Bishop.

tenderloin
07-29-2007, 08:22 PM
The Portal is a beautiful area (was there Wednesday). It is heavily stocked . The pond is usually loaded with trout. Weather is very nice since it is heavily wooded and over 8,000 feet..It even has a gorgeous waterfall within a stones throw from the campground. It is a popular destination

The "sand trap" on Lone Pine Creek is best very early and late as the fish get in the weeds and seem to hide there during the bright/HOT daylight hours.