PDA

View Full Version : lucky craft= witch craft (LB 10/24 am)

whate
10-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I and Leonard (Gossamer) met around 6:30 am in LB. The surf was fairly calm and bait fishes can be seen all over places - all within casting distance. Leonard started with the DS; i tried out the new LC just got last week from Japan. We worked the spot for around 40 minutes but no go. There were a few guys casting the LC too and, just like us, no luck.
We decided to move north for about 1/4 mile where we saw birds were hanging out.
After 15-20 casts, i switched out the LC for a different color, and the first cast i got a bite - a pancake. Even thought it was small, i wanted to take a picture of it thinking that would be my only halibut of the day. Leonard caught a bigger pancake couple minutes later. And not too long after that I got a bit, and knew it was a big one. Leonard tailed the bad boy. My 1st legal, a whopping 26 inches :Shocked:

Total count:
3 halibut: (2) short, (1) legal - 26''
1 YFC

Thanks Leonard for taking the pictures, and for saving my rod and reel from being washed down to the surf. :Worship::Worship:

--my 2nd halibut (of the entire halibut career)
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ZhYGIzx1e3I/SuOcouFByxI/AAAAAAAAAG8/NqK9rARb8pE/s512/IMG_0070.jpg

--my 1st legal
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ZhYGIzx1e3I/SuOcq-sU3ZI/AAAAAAAAAHE/2Uxyhionaqs/s512/IMG_0073.jpg

--a shot with the measure tape , not very clear but that's the best my cellphone could do :D
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ZhYGIzx1e3I/SuOcph5rsTI/AAAAAAAAAHA/L04sjkp6rzE/s512/IMG_0072.jpg

smokehound
10-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Congratulations! Catching your first legal gives such an awesome feeling!

bsp
10-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Dang, LB has been producing this week. This complicates things... go to one of my favorite spots tomorrow or hit up LB.

Way to nail that 26in fatty as a first legal! That's the same size as my PB! Glad to hear it happened so quickly. You put in the effort and it paid off. With that luck you'll be beaching your first 30in plus in no time. Looking forward to reading more reports from you in the future, and hope to run into you in the surf sometime.

Also, your rod almost got washed away again? :Shocked: How does that keep happening?

whate
10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
@smokehound, It was awesome. I was still shaking a while later from excitement.

@bsp, Yeah, i left the backpack on the on the shore. I thought the wave wouldn't get there any time soon, but i was wrong. I was so excited about the halibut and forgot to check on my bag. Luckily, Leonard saw it and he saved them for me.

klocked
10-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Great size to that 1st legal!! Congrats Whate!

bsp
10-24-2009, 07:24 PM
That's understandable. I was flipping out when I nailed my first legal too. :LOL:

I'd recommend looking into getting a 3rd grip rod holster. It's an easy way to hold a rod when you catch a fish or re rig.

whate
10-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I learned from the last unfortunate event and went out and got one last week. Just didn't bring it today. I'll try to show it the time with the halibut :Wink:

That's understandable. I was flipping out when I nailed my first legal too. :LOL:

I'd recommend looking into getting a 3rd grip rod holster. It's an easy way to hold a rod when you catch a fish or re rig.

flyngby
10-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Very nice first legal!!!!!!!!

Many more are on the Horison!

Steve

Wingnut
10-24-2009, 10:29 PM
You will never forget your first... :Big Grin: Congrats, now go do it again. :Cool:

Gossamer
10-25-2009, 02:09 PM
He even released it to so you know he is gonna get at least a 30 next time for karma....

fish_sauce
10-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Congrats on the first Legal, there are plenty where that came from, go get 'em!

How did you do, Leonard? It's been a long time bro, we should definitely hit the surf again sometime!

Andrew

Gossamer
10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Whatw was the hot stick on Saturday, I only got 1 mini flapjack. Went back on Sunday and got 6 butts 2 biggest were maybe 18 and 20 didn't measure them. I had some bucketers that were next to the honey hole we found. They were amazed that I caught 4 butts in about 40 minutes. Them I had some other bucketers show up and set up right on top of me...

Hit me up Andrew let's go hit the sand.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-26-2009, 05:33 PM
nice work....congrats on your 1st legal : )

Way ta roll !

Gary

bones
10-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Now that's how ya get the job done. Show up at greylight....find the bait and the birds....keep moving until ya find them and then hit it HARD......Great job on the legal and a big props to ya for the release.
Your partner said that there were some bucket brigade guys who saw your flattie hunting techniques.....be very carefull.......I had a few guys check out my techniques and then come back to my honey hole with live bait and hardbaits and poach out my spot in no time. If you REALLY want to fish in front of them....keep your baits hidden and don't share too much info or you will be sorry for sure.
Don't want to sound selfish but I have REALLY shot myself in the foot two times this year and the bite this year has been far from wide open ANYWHERE here in socal. Very spottie to say the least.
Congrats once again....Keep it up!

murrieta angler
10-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Sweet job Whate. I can only cast and wait for my first legal..:Big Grin:

whate
11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
yesterday I went back to the spot we found last time and saw about 10 guys there fishing :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

I walked the beach and found another spot and managed to picked up a couple pancakes - nothing worth taking pictures :)