PDA

View Full Version : First Hali from the rocks, EVER!

murrieta angler
10-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Went to oceanside this morning. Got there at 7:00 and started fishing at the little pier across from the bait barge and gas station. Was there for 2 hours and got nothing.
Started using mussels first with no love then swithced up to squid and nothing also. I started to sabiki for some live bait, got some, but fish just were not biting. I started to ask the other guys at the pier how they were doing and all said they had nothing. I tried gulp bait and tossing my line paralell to the rocks to see if I could get anything to come out, but again, nothing.
One of the guys said to try the jetty and I said, why not. As I was walking to the end of the jetty I start asking guys how the fishing was and all of them said the same thing. IT IS DEAD TODAY!
Well, I started to fish again using a drop loop system with the mussel and nothing. Switched up to squid again, nothing again. Man, this is getting to be a bummer.
I had noticed that all the people fishing were facing the harbor entrance side of the jetty, so I decided to be the oddball and try the surfing side. I decided to try using a rapala XR10 in white with yellow pinstripe and dots and see how casting and retreiving would do.
First cast and, BAMM!! I am hooked up. I start reeling in my little Shimano Sedona 750FB with 6# test and low and behold, a little 12" halibut...:Big Grin: This is my first halibut ever from the rocks, pier or shore. I was very stoked. I tried to get my phone out and take a picture but it came unhooked and swam off.
I am feeling pretty good now so I cast a second time and WHAMM!!! I am hooked up again. I reel this one in and it's a little bigger model, 14-16 inches. I pull this one up on a rock, get my phone out again and it starts flapping itself right back into the water. Oh well, I'm not concerned cause i git my first and second hali ever from land.
I proceeded to cast and retrieve with 4 more hali's following my Rapala, the biggest maybe 24", but they don't fall for it and swim off.
Well, that was my Saturday, I hoped you all enjoyed yours as well as I did mine.
God Bless and Good Luck

ROBERT

hakaveli
10-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Congrats on ur first shore halibuts

bsp
10-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Congrats on getting your first ever halibut from shore! It's very addictive and you'll find that chasing them really makes you forget about most other species of fish. If I were you I would bump your line up to 10lb at least for the jerkbait. They aren't line shy with jerkbaits at all. Also, rip your bait in or speed up your retrieve when you have visible followers. They'll commit to a bite more often than not if you do that. Rapala XR10s are decent baits for the price, but if you decide to get really into halibut hunting you might want to pick up a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110. Definitely the all around most productive bait for catching halibut from shore.

whate
10-24-2009, 06:27 PM
congrats man! I know how it feels :D

flyngby
10-24-2009, 08:39 PM
May many more Butts come your way!!!!!!

Steve

Wingnut
10-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Way to go... keep up the good work! :Cool:

hbomb
10-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Nice Job MA, good way to think out of the box...awesome job bro. :Cool:

fishshep
10-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Congrats on getting your first ever halibut from shore! It's very addictive and you'll find that chasing them really makes you forget about most other species of fish. If I were you I would bump your line up to 10lb at least for the jerkbait. They aren't line shy with jerkbaits at all. Also, rip your bait in or speed up your retrieve when you have visible followers. They'll commit to a bite more often than not if you do that. Rapala XR10s are decent baits for the price, but if you decide to get really into halibut hunting you might want to pick up a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110. Definitely the all around most productive bait for catching halibut from shore.

Congtats on your FIRST Hali!!!! from the Jetty :Cool:

BSP; Now I gotta say, the SXR12 SBM Silver Blue Mackeral RAPALA
in # 10 or 12 size has caught me some #,s of Butts too!!!!
Try holidng the L.C. up next to the Holografic Rapala and you will
see the comparative dullness of the LC for TWICE the price!!! and
if you test the action difference in clear water, not much diff. :Shocked:
Sorry if I am not being politically correct by not following the
crowd but IMO that is the truth!!! I have a LC but will throw
the Rapala first!!! LC,s are great though!!!

bsp
10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Fishep, not a problem at all! You have definitely stuck some impressive fish on the Rapala, and they are a lot cheaper than the LC. I bought one in June, gave it two trips, and it didn't really produce. I switched back to the LC and started catching fish. Maybe I got a bad bait, but I didn't think it slow rolled as well as the LC. I'll admit that there are some situations where the LC doesn't work as well as other hard baits, but I've had the most success with LCs.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-26-2009, 05:30 PM
congrats on ur success.....lookout...u'll be getting an irreversable feva'.....or maybe U got it already..nice work..

Congrats..

I'll just add that you would be wise to try the 4" gulp alive minnow or 5" jerkbait on a 1/4 oz. jihead (in addition to the lures mentioned above), you can finesse that pretty well and they love it (4" alive minnow is my favorite !)
good luck and stay on em.
Gary

fishshep
10-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Fishep, not a problem at all! You have definitely stuck some impressive fish on the Rapala, and they are a lot cheaper than the LC. I bought one in June, gave it two trips, and it didn't really produce. I switched back to the LC and started catching fish. Maybe I got a bad bait, but I didn't think it slow rolled as well as the LC. I'll admit that there are some situations where the LC doesn't work as well as other hard baits, but I've had the most success with LCs.

Well I think the common ground for you and me is retrieve skills relating to,

and or experience in using more,either of one or the other :Wink:

For you and probably most other Hali Hunters, it is the LC. :Smile:

bones
10-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't listen to ANYONE....LOL
You are on the threshhold of a fishing/life change. Once you stick a few more flatties as well as other species on the hardbaits you will be hooked into spending all of your money on them. It can be very addicting and getting hit on the retrieve will always stick out in your mind.
Congrats on your first flattie on the hardbait.....I'm sure there will be more in the near future.

murrieta angler
10-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Congrats on ur first shore halibuts

Thanks Hak. But I didn't do nearly as well as you...:Wink:

murrieta angler
10-26-2009, 07:15 PM

Thanks for response. It's funny you mention reeling in faster when a hali is in pursuit, cause I was actually slowing down my reeling and that's when they bailed on me...Live & Learn

murrieta angler
10-26-2009, 07:16 PM
congrats man! I know how it feels :D

Thank You, Thank You. There will be more reports in the near future for sure.

murrieta angler
10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
May many more Butts come your way!!!!!!

Steve

Appreciate the post. Thanks

murrieta angler
10-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Way to go... keep up the good work! :Cool:

Thanks Arthur. I have a long journey ahead of me in regards to Halibut fishing.

murrieta angler
10-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Nice Job MA, good way to think out of the box...awesome job bro. :Cool:

Thank You Bro. We will hook up again for another fishing rendezvous..:Smile:

murrieta angler
10-26-2009, 07:26 PM
congrats on ur success.....lookout...u'll be getting an irreversable feva'.....or maybe U got it already..nice work..

Congrats..

I'll just add that you would be wise to try the 4" gulp alive minnow or 5" jerkbait on a 1/4 oz. jihead (in addition to the lures mentioned above), you can finesse that pretty well and they love it (4" alive minnow is my favorite !)
good luck and stay on em.
Gary

Thank You Gary. Yes, I must admit that I can't wait to get back out and try for a bigger model. I also need to get more types of bait, as most of my stuff is geared for sporting fish.
I do have LC's but wanted to try the Rapala's just in case I gave them up to the rocks...:Surprised: