PDA

View Full Version : SB harbor 10/22

stinkyfish00
10-24-2009, 01:50 AM
New to this site and i want to share my day at the santa barbara harbor on thursday. Got to the sb harbor round 8am fishing for some surf perch. Conditions were not too good. A lot of kelp, really windy, and pretty big surf. I decided to stay and see if i could catch anything other than seaweed. So i was there for about 2 hours throwin a 2in gulp sand worm and only caught 1 tiny perch and a whole bunch of salad. I was about to call it a day (cause i had to move my car before i would get a ticket) i get a little nibble. I stop to set the hook but then the nibble stops. I figured it was another little perch but then i feel some weight. I reel in and it feels like i caught more kelp. All of a sudden it takes off. My drag was goin crazy and it took half of my line out. I try to relax and control the fight. A couple minutes go by and i figure its just a small shovelnose or ray. But then i get a glance of it. For some dumb reason i think its a seal... i dont know why but i did. It was hard to see cause it was in the kelp and i saw it for a second. But then its head pops up and crazy enough it was a White Seabass. Then i got really really excited. Didnt put up much of a fight it was just difficult with all the kelp and draging it to the beach. Brought it up and measured it with a crowd around me. It measured 29 1/2 inches. After measuring i packed it up and headed out. I still had to move my car so i wouldnt get a ticket. Overall conditions werent great but came out with a smile on my face.

fisherman from long beach
10-24-2009, 05:43 AM
nice catch there dude.

PESCADOS.LOCOS
10-24-2009, 08:41 AM
DAMN stinky thats a nice fish!! 1 1/2 to spare you are stoked!

kozaki
10-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Awesome! Great catch.

murrieta angler
10-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Cool Stinky! Nice first report and pics, there will be many more...:Big Grin: and looking forward to seeing them.

fishshep
10-24-2009, 05:38 PM
KILL-EM,CHILL-EM,AND GRILL-EM!!!!:ROFL:
MAN!!! That's some good eats right there !!!:Big Grin:
Congrats. :Wink:

smokehound
10-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Man thats alot of croaker..

Some good eating, congrats on the legal!

whate
10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Never seen a croaker that big. It's a pig, not a croaker :ROFL:

flyngby
10-24-2009, 08:32 PM
That is a nice Report and welcome to the Board!!!!

A legal WSB "CROAKER" is a Special Catch from the Surf!!!!!!!!

Steve

Wingnut
10-24-2009, 10:41 PM
White Sea Bass on Gulp Sandworms...? You might have stumbled onto something big here. :Secret: Nice job on catching lightning. :Envious:

stinkyfish00
10-25-2009, 09:43 PM
thanks everyone!! i never thought i would catch a fish like that on such small tackle. i guess i got lucky. thanks again!

smokehound
10-26-2009, 02:30 AM
Dont be too surprised! Big fish love a nice appetizer here and there.

its amazing what will inhale two teensy little sandcrabs on a tiny octopus hook!