PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Network Intro

vujitsu
04-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Actually, I'm been reading since last year - not often enough to post anything but lately I've been reading alot so I figured I'd post something, so here goes:

About me:
I'm 28yr old in Irvine and I love fishing but am limited by experience, time, and lack of knowledge. That's when I stumbled across forums like these. The hardest part is finding the time and company who wants to go fishing. I'm pretty busy, just finished school and now in the banking industry analyzing investments. I've been dating the same girl for 4yrs and talks of marriage is around the corner. My time for fishing is really precious and rare - and I appreciate all of it. The challenging part is finding someone to go with me. I usually drag along my girlfriend, she tells me she likes fishing with me but I know she doesn't really enjoy it as much as I do because she is usually walking away doing other stuff while I'm holding the rod. My friend has a boat (26' bayliner) that I have interest in and we've taken it to Cat Island. During the summer, we've been diving and spear fishing - great prospective to see fish behavior. He's more of a diver than fisher, 90% of the boat trip is used for diving and the rest for test runs and a few just for fishing off the boat. So I'll go on the cattle boats every chance I get(5x a season). As you can see I'm more of a saltwater fisherman. I usually keep the fish I catch as long as it is legal and edible - give them to my parents. So that is why I'd prefer saltwater fish. I don't see myself eating a fish out of a lake because I've seen some lakes and they are not pretty.

Adventure:
Just recently I bought a truck - this expanded my horizon to travel beyond lake fishing. I found a stream - thanks FNN. I guess from reading these threads, it is etiquette that we do not share this information unless it is a PM request? please correct me if I"m wrong. Anyways, I went up there with my gf and it definitely requires a truck because there is an offroad trail. The scenery was awesome; the air was crisp, the stream lively, and the plants fresh! I had 8lb test line tied to a size 14 treble and a pinch on weight about 10'' from the hook using power bait worm. Caught 7 6-10inch rainbows. I let them all go but 2 largest. That felt good because I was away from work, school, city lights, etc.

Here are pictures of the trout I caught. That was one of the beer cans (found 4) I found in the stream so I just picked up the trash keep it clean. Also I figured it would be good to have in the picture to show prospective of fish size. If you know this place and see trash - please pick it up and keep it sacred.

Also, here's a picture of me free diving through the kelp in the Pacific Ocean near Cat.

BigBassFrank
04-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Welcome vinjitsu,

I see you found beercuda's empty beer can :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...,,,,BBF

Crappie Slayer
04-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Welcome vinjitsu,

I see you found beercuda's empty beer can :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...,,,,BBF

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Welcome!

one_leg
04-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Hello there,
That shot of the you in the kelp brings back memories.
Sounds like you'll be doing alot more fishing soon.

xtranzman
04-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Welcome..

X

Troutman65
04-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Welcome.. Nice catch of trout. you must of drove up to the sm. pools that the DFG stocks their. a buddy of mine said he was up their on a weekend and people were spearing the trout Illegally. Poaching!! He said they were taking all the fish .None left for anyone fishing legal. Glad you were able to get some

Gmoney
04-18-2007, 06:11 PM
great intro post

welcome

vujitsu
04-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Hello there,

What do you mean by brings back memories? Were you a free diver? Diving is fun. It is a new world of fishing when you're under water with them. The week that Steve Irwin died from the stingray I also encountered one 6 feet below me - it petrified me. Sometimes scary but you get distracted because there's so much going on so the fear kind of sets aside.

vujitsu
04-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Welcome.. Nice catch of trout. you must of drove up to the sm. pools that the DFG stocks their. a buddy of mine said he was up their on a weekend and people were spearing the trout Illegally. Poaching!! He said they were taking all the fish .None left for anyone fishing legal. Glad you were able to get some

Hey troutman, this is not the sm pools.. Not sure what sm is but there were plenty of fish where I was. This is near Holy J. You're from OC too, hope you know where I'm talking about. Also, it'd be tough to just drive up this trail unless you're an offroader. It takes about 15away from the nearest paved road.

If anyone is interested in going fishing, send me an email - my fishing buddy has family obligations.

one_leg
04-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Hello there,

What do you mean by brings back memories? Were you a free diver? Diving is fun. It is a new world of fishing when you're under water with them. The week that Steve Irwin died from the stingray I also encountered one 6 feet below me - it petrified me. Sometimes scary but you get distracted because there's so much going on so the fear kind of sets aside.

Yes I was. I still have my really sweet M&B 3/8" camo freediving suit. I have seen a Manta Ray at Catalina(not Bat Ray) in 1981. It was mesmerizing. I used to do a lot of scuba, both u/w hunting/gathering and photography. Mostly the Northern Channel Islands. I was also into technical/wreck diving in the 90's. I used a OS Systems dry suit for most of that stuff. I have seen so many Bat Rays I couldn't count them while they were gathering to mate off of Santa Cruz Island.

I was also a trained commercial diver medic. I plan on getting back into diving again, hopefully in the not too distant future. Gonna be mostly boat dives from now on. Oh well, that's my favorite way to dive anyhow.

Maybe will dive together someday.

One_Leg

pescado abajo
04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
WELCOME TO FNN :!:

vujitsu
04-20-2007, 05:43 PM
[quote="one_leg":6469e]Hello there,

Yes I was. I still have my really sweet M&B 3/8" camo freediving suit. I have seen a Manta Ray at Catalina(not Bat Ray) in 1981. It was mesmerizing. I used to do a lot of scuba, both u/w hunting/gathering and photography. Mostly the Northern Channel Islands. I was also into technical/wreck diving in the 90's. I used a OS Systems dry suit for most of that stuff. I have seen so many Bat Rays I couldn't count them while they were gathering to mate off of Santa Cruz Island.

I was also a trained commercial diver medic. I plan on getting back into diving again, hopefully in the not too distant future. Gonna be mostly boat dives from now on. Oh well, that's my favorite way to dive anyhow.

Maybe will dive together someday.

One_Leg[/quote:6469e]

I haven't gotten into scuba - that's one expensive hobby. I'm currently free diving. On our way out to Cat one day last July, this was when water was 75 and we had durado and yellow tail swimming together. At about 3000ft dept halfway from newport to Cat, we decided to jump in the water near a patty since we saw the fishes. In the middle of the ocean, about 50 feet away I see this massive white fish (size of a honda civic) with a dorsal fin and lateral fins . I swam and screamed for the boat that had drifted 50 feet away. Clarity about 40ft. I was going to die, this great white was going after me. I made it to the boat, climbed up and saw the dorsal fin out sticking out of the water. It was a sun fish to my relief. But that was the scariest moment under water for me. Never again will i jump in the water in the middle of the ocean. If you google sunfish for images, you'll see the size and resemblance of a great white.

So I live and will dive another day - we'll see you fishing, or underwater.

D-PESCADOR
04-26-2007, 11:21 AM
NICE CATCH ON THE BUDLIGTH CAN
:appl:

Fisher-of-Men
11-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Nice opener! :wink:

Fisher-of-Men

rocklee
11-05-2007, 01:17 AM
great intro post

welcome

ditto!

Welcome to the board!

Troutman65
11-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Use to go up ito the hills all the time. Holy J , Modjeska, Silverado, and now its all burned up. :cry: Thanks for the reply. Sory it took so long for me to get back to you. :wink:

Troutman65

corvina man
11-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the board :thumb:

Corvina man

Judder73
11-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the board !!! :beer:

Striper Bill
11-15-2007, 07:56 PM
:) Welcome!
Striper Bill

Fisherman57
11-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Old thread............. but nonetheless..... WELCOME!
(even if I am seven months late)

WARRIORMIKE
11-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Maaan, you were diving at Lake Perris in that pic. :D :secret: