PDA

View Full Version : looking for MACs

pargo lsb
10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
gents,
my bud just picked up a boat and want to try hooping. we've hooped before from kayak and it was too lots of work for few bugs.

taking the boat out for a test run in the harbor tomorrow, thought maybe at the same time try to catch some macs for bait.

anyone knows where macs are biting?

thanks in advance
richard

smokehound
10-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Any pier should do.

Except for the shorter piers like seal beach, belmont shores pier.. While those piers do have macks, they are tiny, and difficult to hook.

I was at newport pier, and there are still mackerel boiling.

Just buy some frozen squid and use a single hook, with light weight so the bait sinks slowly. That often gets me ten macks within 10 minutes... You COULD use a sabiki, but those get mangled easily, arent worth the money and time, if you ask me..

OR. you can go to the beach, gather some sandcrabs, and catch a bunch of surfperch for Bug bait. Whatever the case, dont freeze the mackerel, that ruins the bait..

I like to take a few large freezer bags, and fill them with very salty water. This takes a while to freeze, but it melts very slowly, keeping your bait super fresh.

Wildhorse1966
10-25-2009, 12:15 PM
99 ranch market..

YakN'Surf
10-26-2009, 09:43 PM
I dont know if you are near to the point hueneme pier, but that place is always on fire for macs.

kwest10
10-26-2009, 10:53 PM
99 ranch market..
yea but kinda pricey. 2-3 dolla a pound.
There is some bait shop in Dana that sells it by the box for cheap. Forget the price.
Korean markets sometimes have salmon heads for 49 cents EACH.
I was at 99 Ranch on Sat in Irvine. They had whole "baby salmon" for 1.99/lb. Used some various "fish heads" at 99 cent per pound. Looked like tuna, hali and some sort of cod.

smokehound
10-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Any fish will work, provided its oily.

You need to absolutely ensure that the bait is fresh, though.

Even scavengers prefer a fresh meal when possible....

Thats why my earlier comment placed so much emphasis on freshness.

pargo lsb
10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
valuable info... thanks guys
will report back on result of first trip
Thank again
richard