PDA

View Full Version : Kern river questions.

Crawler
10-23-2009, 01:58 PM
I have never fished the Kern river and I have a chance to go up here tomarrow morning. We will be in the Kernville / River Kern area jus above Lake Isabella. Any tips on where to go???? A friend told me to go up to the bridge near Johnsondale and walk downstream. What are your thoughts and suggestions???

mth1997
10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Flows are up from the rains a a few weeks back, about 400 cfs and dropping at Kernville.

There's still no stocking up there and catch and release is strongly suggested by the fly shop. The section you've described is commonly referred to as "the 20 mile roadside section" of the Kern. There are tons of places to stop and fish on the 20 mile, but I think you're already on a good track. Also, ABOVE the Johnsondale Bridge is special regs. that change with the fishing season; C&R, artificial and barbless only, just in case you already didn't know.

Lots of dirt roads in the area too. You doin any 4X4?

Crawler
10-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Well, I will have my trusty steed with me. :Envious:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/yotamasters/sierras_7_4_2009209.jpg

I just want to catch some fish. If there is another stream/river in the area thats worth checking out, I am willing and able. I will consult the regs tonight to make sure im within the law.

Joshua
10-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Not the best time of year to fish the Kern, It is a better summer fishery. If you are planning on heading to the Johnsondale Bridge. Head up river Use artificials as this is a special regulation area. It may be a zero limit now. During General Season < I believe you can keep 2 and there is a size limit as well. It is always easier to keep none, than to remember all the regulations

As mentioned already, there is 23 miles of river between Kernville and Johsondale Bridge. You can find fish in all areas. I usually fish from McNallys/Fairview campground to Limestone campground. Salmon eggs is the best bait. There has not been a DFG trout plant in the Kern during 2009. To help maintain the fishery it is suggested that everyone practice C&R. You can legally keep fish, but that only depletes the already small population. Most of the fish that are caught are the smaller native fish. The stockers either died off or were caught. There are some hold overs, but not enough to support the number of people that fish this area.

Remember will the cooler water, the fish slow down and wont chase your offerings like they do in the spring/summer. They try to maximize food vs effort. Most food for minimal effort. Fat man sitting close to the buffett.

PWBUILDING
10-26-2009, 11:27 AM
If you are really wantin to catch fish, just go to the lake. They are catching alot of trout, catfish and crappie. If you had a boat it is gauranteed
to catch fish.

Crawler
10-26-2009, 12:11 PM
If you are really wantin to catch fish, just go to the lake. They are catching alot of trout, catfish and crappie. If you had a boat it is gauranteed
to catch fish.

I prefer being up in the mountains and away from people. So Isabella is not really my cup of tea. :Cool:

I ended up fishing for only an hour or so about half way between Kernville and the bridge. Caught one small wild bow. He was about 7-8" and hit a silver kastmaster.

Has anyone here been over the road to Kennedy Meadows that takes off just before Johnsondale bridge???? It said 67 miles to the 395. Looks like a fun little drive.