PDA

View Full Version : Types of Fishing line?

bigd87
10-23-2009, 01:41 AM
Flouro? Mono? Braided? i googled em but I'm stil a little confused? When and where should I use each type of line? And is there any specific use for each type?

dfisher
10-23-2009, 02:46 AM
From my understanding...

Flouro - Line sinks, more invisible then mono, stronger? Used for mostly anything going to the bottom, ie: t-rig, c-rig, drop shot and your set of lures.

Mono - Line floats, used mostly for top water baits

Braided - tough stuff for deep cover ie: weeds, tulles, rocks, branches etc..

I was t-rigging worms with mono until I switched to flouro. What a difference it makes.

Koshaw
10-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Mono/co-polymers are great for casting and are ok over all I like izorline XXX. its also a bargain at 15-20$ for 2-6000yards (2-4lb).

Fluorocarbon is not a magic bullet. It is more abrasion resistant than mono/co but has much more memory and is stiffer...so it is harder to cast. It is also more expensive. Most people I know including myself, use it for a leader.

Braid I am still currently using. It is very very durable, is quiet thin for its strength (10lb test is 1-2lb diameter!) but can be pricey. The nice thing about it is you can keep it on your spool for 5-10 years... If you do ocean fishing, its good to thouroughly wash the line of salt and sometimes take it off into a bucket of water and restring from time to time so the spool doesnt corrode.

I usually use braid with a flurocarbon leader. I keep the leader 2-3lbs for trout so they feel the line less...and 6-10lb braided line.

Nessie Hunter
10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Mono is a single fiber 'extruded' to make a line.
Normally Nylon, it is cheap and strong..
Has a tendency to not sink (compared to Fluoro)...

(Extruded = think spaghetti, forced through a sized opening to form a particular size strand)..

Co-polymers are more then one fiber/chemical extruded to make a line...
Adding strength, softness (less memory etc) what ever the manufacturer is looking for???
Most of the newer Super plastics are made this way. Add or subtract a chemical and it changes the properties and function..
Some coat the line with Fluoro also = Cuda..

Fluorocarbon is made by combining a % of Carbon with other Polymers to make a line.
'Almost' invisible in water (if 100% Quality Fluoro) Great for line shy fishing..
Expensive, has tendency to sink more (due to Carbon content).
Abrasion resistant, which also makes it stiffer and easier to break..
Most use it as leader to avoid the higher cost of a full spool...
Tendency to be Brittle (break easily) and have much more memory then Mono.... Has been improved a lot over the years for fishing line..
A chemists dream/nightmare!!!!

Braided lines; (ill quote an article here).
Braids are made by braiding or weaving fibers of a man-made material like Spectra or Micro-Dyneema into a strand of line. This makes a very strong, tough line that is very abrasion resistant. This line is so strong that you have trouble breaking it when you get hung up. A fish is very unlikely to break it.
Braids are very visible in the water. For that reason many fishermen do not like it in clear water. It may spook the fish, especially on finesse baits where you are trying to entice a fish to bite a lure they can see for a long time.
Some folks say braids will cut into rod guides on inexpensive guides. If you use it you should make sure your rod can handle it.
Braids have a small diameter, are very limp and don't have any memory. They float so they can be good for topwater baits, but they have very little stretch so it is possible to pull the bait away from a fish. And you must have drag set so a fish does not rip the hooks out of its mouth if it makes a strong run right at the boat. You can even break your rod because of the lack of stretch if you set the hook too hard.

Decisions, Decisions... What shall I do???? :ROFL:

Me, I used Cuda line for 2# to 8# then go to Big Game Mono... (cheap & effective), I can afford to change it out more often.. Ahhhh!! fresh line..

Back my large Salt Reels with Spectra for the added amount of line it gives me (about 1/3 the Dia of equal weight Mono)..

So I can get 1,000 yrds on a 350 yrd rated mono spool for the larger saltwater fish... Fish smaller Reels and fight the fish without getting Spooled....

Remember Spectra has to be wound tight to work right.. It will bury itself and backlash if not very tight....
I tried it for throwing big baits and as it loosened after several cast/retrieves it back lashed very, very bad.. Could have just been me (Barney).. But wont do that again for that reason....

My 2 cents.....

GeordyBass
10-23-2009, 10:30 AM
These guys are almost right in the ball park, but Flourocarbon is stronger and more durable than mono. It is also thinner in diameter than mono. Because of the abrasion resistance, it handle 5x better in the saltwater, at an expense though, flouro is almost always at least 2x the price of normal mono, and even more, like Blackwater filler spools are $36.... Since Flouro has less strech and more sink than mono fisherman love it because the bites are felt easier, and hooksets are harded with no strech.

Try these out:
http://www.triplefishlines.com/

probably one of the cheapest and best quality flourocarbon.... at half the price of comparable seaguar.(I sound like an infomercial:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:)

braid is great for deep brush and rocky situation kind of fishing, super resistant to anything you throw at it, but, casting is far reduced and there is no stretch at all. I do not like braid other than on my saltwater gear because there is also really low sensitivity and not really suitable for finesse type fishing...

Fire Ball
10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
These guys are almost right in the ball park, but Flourocarbon is stronger and more durable than mono. It is also thinner in diameter than mono. Because of the abrasion resistance, it handle 5x better in the saltwater, at an expense though, flouro is almost always at least 2x the price of normal mono, and even more, like Blackwater filler spools are $36.... Since Flouro has less strech and more sink than mono fisherman love it because the bites are felt easier, and hooksets are harded with no strech.

Try these out:
http://www.triplefishlines.com/

probably one of the cheapest and best quality flourocarbon.... at half the price of comparable seaguar.(I sound like an infomercial:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:)

braid is great for deep brush and rocky situation kind of fishing, super resistant to anything you throw at it, but, casting is far reduced and there is no stretch at all. I do not like braid other than on my saltwater gear because there is also really low sensitivity and not really suitable for finesse type fishing...

I am probably going to buy that brand fluorocarbon line. It is so cheap and seems like it is really good. I wonder if they charge for shipping though...

I prefer fluorocarbon because it has less stretch so I can feel bites better and can set the hook with more power. Plus it is less visible than monofilament!

Simplyeman
10-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Not sure if this is a problem with all fishing lines but something ive noticed recently with flouro when i cast light tackle is my line coils wayyyyyyy to much especially when i have light line (2-4). What i do love about flouro is the line diameter. If youre spool says 140 yards @ 4# you will get 140 yards whereas with mono it's always less.

What do you guys think of maxima? I hear people complaining about the coiling and others love it.

bigd87
10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
so it would be a bad idea to use braided line for trout fishing? or would it be to just add a flouro leader to it?

Fire Ball
10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
so it would be a bad idea to use braided line for trout fishing? or would it be to just add a flouro leader to it?

It would be really expensive, plus you don't need it. Just get fluorocarbon for trout.

Koshaw
10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
It works out ok for me. I got 1200 yards of Spectra 10lb braid for 65 bux...

And I use Maxima 3lb fluoro with that or I use Izorline XXX with the fluro.

LunkerLover
10-24-2009, 08:20 PM
"Uncle Homer," a LONG time bass GOD put it best ... "The monofilament fishing line is absolutely perfect for the majority of anglers."

Unless you're chucking jigs and craws/creatures in to HEAVY cover, dragging cranks and spinners through brush and timber, thunking frogs and top waters around pads and weeds .... then you need a good BRAID! (I'd recommend Suffix)

If you're serious about finessing an array of dancy plastics .... then you need a good FLOUROCARBON (I'd recommend Berkley 100% Flouro)

Other than that man ... for the occasional California angler catfishin, trout fishin, or bass fishin ..... stick to a tried-and-true mono! :Smile:

NoHo ART
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
It works out ok for me. I got 1200 yards of Spectra 10lb braid for 65 bux...

And I use Maxima 3lb fluoro with that or I use Izorline XXX with the fluro.

you really use 10lb braid for tout??? :Shocked:

i personally don't use anything more then 4lb mono with fluro leader unless im trolling then 6-8lb mono

GeordyBass
10-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Not sure if this is a problem with all fishing lines but something ive noticed recently with flouro when i cast light tackle is my line coils wayyyyyyy to much especially when i have light line (2-4). What i do love about flouro is the line diameter. If youre spool says 140 yards @ 4# you will get 140 yards whereas with mono it's always less.

What do you guys think of maxima? I hear people complaining about the coiling and others love it.
To almost all flouro it happens,,,lol,,,

Always tie it to a tree or tube or something and pull and stretch it,,,

Koshaw
10-28-2009, 06:33 PM
you really use 10lb braid for tout??? :Shocked:

i personally don't use anything more then 4lb mono with fluro leader unless im trolling then 6-8lb mono

Well it is only 1-2lb diameter =). And I use several feet of 2-3lb maxima fluro for a leader.

NoHo ART
10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
i guess whatever floats your power bait :Secret:

Koshaw
10-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Hee =)

I also just got a #4 1/4 spool of Izorline XXX today. I really like it.