PDA

View Full Version : Info On MLPA

GeordyBass
10-22-2009, 09:18 PM
I got this out of an article off another site and this is what it said....

I'm sure meeting went very well yesterday(I hope!) so were still screwed by the Eco-Nuts and our government....:Angry:
Here's the quote kids:

Fishermen contest plans for Calif. ocean reserves
By JOHN ANTCZAK
Associated Press Writer
LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- There's nothing pacific about the ocean off Southern
California these days.
A battle over how to establish marine reserves along the coast has roiled the
waters with the competing interests of environmentalists, fishermen and seaside
businesses.
The fight comes to a head Thursday when a panel is scheduled to recommend to
the California Fish and Game Commission one of three hotly debated plans for a
Marine Protected Area in the Southern California Bight.
Stretching from Point Conception northwest of Los Angeles to the Mexican
border, the 250-mile-long arc of alternately scenic and heavily urbanized coast
embraces islands and reefs in waters prized for fishing, recreation,
conservation and research.
Environmentalists put forward the most restrictive plan while the fishing
industry reluctantly backed a proposal it viewed as moderating economic
impacts. A third plan was considered middle-of-the-road.
Hundreds of people with a stake in the decision packed lengthy meetings leading
up to the decision, which is likely to be substantially affirmed when it goes
to the commission in December.
Some feared extensive bans on fishing with serious financial consequences for
commercial and sport fishing operators, harbor businesses and even tourism.
Environmentalists pushed for stringent protections to prevent the decline of
hard-pressed species and argued that the concept of Marine Protected Areas has
been successful elsewhere in the world, ultimately benefiting fishing.
Differences in the plans outwardly appeared small, but fishing industry
representatives said some locations are so significant that putting them off
limits would have a huge impact.
"What most people don't stop to think is that fish don't live and spread
themselves evenly in the ocean, they congregate in choice areas," said Vern
Goehring, manager of the California Fisheries Coalition, an association of 27
commercial and recreational fishing organizations.
The controversy stems from the state's 1999 Marine Life Protection Act, which
found that existing protected areas had been established on a piecemeal basis
and without sound scientific guidelines.
California's 1,100-mile coast was divided into five regions for re-evaluation
and new Marine Protected Areas have so far been established in two of them, the
central and north-central coasts.
For Southern California, three work groups created plans for a checkerboard of
locations in state waters _ three miles out but including islands _ to protect
marine life and habitat with a range of restrictions on use. Individual sites
will receive various types of designation such as state marine reserve or
marine conservation area.
The California Fisheries Coalition, which claims its members have a $5.5
billion impact on the state's economy, objected to the process as focusing too
much on fishing and not on other things that impact the ocean, such as coastal
development, water pollution and shipping.
"The way this process is being implemented the last five years is it only
considers one variable affecting the ocean, and that's fishing," Goehring said.
"What we've been arguing is that the enhanced protections or regulations need
to be allocated according to the degree of threat and the degree of impact," he
said.
Goehring said all the proposals would have huge direct impact on fishing
operators that would spread to shore-based businesses.
The coalition, however, backed one that sought "to make it so that no one fish,
no one fishery, no one community or no one business takes an overwhelming hit."

hoosierfisher
10-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I am sure that if these environmentalist had their life changed and their family's welfare depended upon fishing related businesses, they would not be pushing for this...

People will be out of jobs. People will miss their mortgage and car payments. Traditional family run businesses will no longer exist. State of Cal will loose tax dollars.

I have a proposal. If we can not fish Pacific Coastal waters, then every property owners along the coast should not be allowed to walk or swim in the Pacific - in fact no one can... In fact, they should not even allowed to have dogs, cats, boats, jet ski or boat docks - this is for ocean front property owners.

I am sure that there is an environmental related reasons that their dog's smelly deposits and their urban runoffs have unrealized and devastating impact on every coastal waters.

In fact, we need to shut down the Catalina Express and Carnival Cruse Line off Long Beach. You know what.. I am sure that the Long Beach harbor has environmental impact - so what do we do about this.

What about all the restaurants along that piers and board walks - well they gotta go!

NOW, I know I do sound very illogical and perhaps very narrow minded. I am just trying to make a point...

This policy is so ridiculous, it offense every one who pays taxes and loves to fish. These people don't mind if the developers build multiple multi-million dollar homes, just few yards from the surf. Yet, they will not allow people to come and enjoy the waters with their friends and families while fishing? :Angry:

I would support this stupid proposal if these people are willing to support every tax paying citizens or legal residence who will be impacted financially and emotionally by their proposed policy.

I truly believe that there is a hidden motivation that runs deeper than what has been advertised.

so, what is next... No hiking or Camping in State or National Parks?

boxl0bster
10-23-2009, 12:23 AM
hoosierfisher well said man! im so frustrated over this topic i cant even say all the points i want to say. they demand too much, they already have won. all of the three plans will appease those tree huggers in one way or another. all we want is a comprimise which they are unwilling to accept. :Censored:

GeordyBass
10-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Hey. I said it a couple of times as well. And I posted this as a small reminder of what the mlpa is.... and what sucks most of all is that this is a florida real estate person stating research of why they should go somewhere else. Tourism is no more, hippiedumbcraps say that things like(pretend I'm saying it softly and sarcastically please).... "Photography businesses are going to improve, artists will have more business, and the ocean is going to look more pure without anyone on the beach because they may step on sand dollars and hurt sand crabs..... There will be almost 500-1000 jobs gained in eviro-protection....." and I'll be standing in front screaming at them saying, " you guys make me sick! Protect human life not others you moron! I agree with not hurting animals for the fun of it, but we take them to eat, not to throw away. I really look at you as a worthless smelly pothead. Yes! 1000 jobs will be gained....buuuuut, you are stupid enough to believe that there are a few thousand.... businesses are going to be lost, and 10's of thousands of jobs will be lost, no one will buy licenses, then no one will be there to look out for, and we'll have your 1000 idiots BURNING GAS, doing circles like dimwits around desolate areas like beaches and them watching the sunset while OIL COMPANIES BUILD Oil-RIGS all over so-cal and looking at sewage runoffs and counting how many cans and bottles fall in the water, also patrol-ing the harbors looking at abondoned restaurants, weathered out boats all with for sale signs in their slip watching seals sinking boats all around.... No more tourism too woohooo!! Yes! Hotels are out of business, bicycle rental shops with bikes on the floor thrown away, Other restaurants closed, Pier Roller Coasters Rusted out, and Do Not Enter yellow tape miles around beaches...... Well, at least fish our "Sea-Kitties" are safe....". Geordy, you made a good point.... right before you smacked my mouth....lol.... I said about 12.82% of what I needed to say, without cussing!?!?!?!

hoosierfisher
10-24-2009, 01:48 AM
This new policy is just so bad. There is NO logical sense in it other than serving the emotions of people who thinks that they are doing something good....

fishtales
10-26-2009, 11:31 PM
The environmental movement (key word: movement) has become very powerful. IMO, they are out of control.

They are responsible for a lot of pain inflicted upon property owners using the Endangered Species Act to save a frog or some other critter from extinction.

Now, they are intent on keeping anglers from fishing in the ocean. Next it will be the lakes and streams. Hunters are also in jeopardy.

I am infuriated by the whole mess! How much do you wanna bet we will be strapped with Proposal 3- the most restrictive of the 3 "plans?"

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough anglers who are willing to fight and fight hard. Apathy is nothing new.

We are up against a movement, and movements can be very powerful. Look at all the "educational" programming on TV and in schools over the last 30 years. Jaques Cousteau, etc.

I had a woman come over to me on Newport Pier where I had just caught a mackerel and tell me I shouldn't keep the fish. Give me a break!

tunafisherman
10-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Why don't they try a larger size limit and cut down on bag limits. For one I would say calico and sand bass 15'' limit instead of 12'' and bag limit to 5 instead of 10. Sculpin 12'' instead of 10'' size limit and 5 bag limit instead of 10. White seabass 32'' instead of 28'' limit and keep it at one fish limit for the whole year. There is a better way to help are marine sources and let the fish spond a few times in there lives to create a better fisher.

Frenchy
10-30-2009, 12:34 PM
i agree w tunafisherman but other than than eff the mlpa they are makin me very sad my kids arent even goin to be able to fish anywhere when they get older and when i have them pretty soon it will be all ninja fishing whether it be the ocean or lakes these people are jokes not only are they goin to cost tons of people jobs but also when i was gettin into troulbe all the time fishing is what kept me out of it

bottom line

make the slot limits bigger have a minimum and maximum size on the fish

o yeah and the mlpa are local terrorists

jerryG
10-30-2009, 10:05 PM
The environmental movement (key word: movement) has become very powerful. IMO, they are out of control.

They are responsible for a lot of pain inflicted upon property owners using the Endangered Species Act to save a frog or some other critter from extinction.

!

The parkard foundation (Friends of the Montery Bay Aquarium) is the force that is driving the MLPA forward.. These people would like nothing more than to ban fishing all together. These people are not only taking our rights but they have made sure that the law allows their boats to fish in restricted areas to collect inmates for fish prison (AKA Monterey Bay Aquarium) and catch bait to feed the inmates. It come as no since they have the Governator and the DFG in their back pocket they also have been granted a license to collect endangered species and they have put a bounty on great white sharks. They pay commercial fisherman for great whites dead or alive to put on display at their fish prison. It really helps drive ticket sales...These are just a few things reasons to be angry about this whole situation. Believe me the environmentalists are no friend to the environment...

JerryG

jerryG
10-30-2009, 10:06 PM

!

The packard foundation (Friends of the Montery Bay Aquarium) is the force that is driving the MLPA forward.. These people would like nothing more than to ban fishing all together. These people are not only taking our rights but they have made sure that the law allows their boats to fish in restricted areas to collect inmates for fish prison (AKA Monterey Bay Aquarium) and catch bait to feed the inmates.

It should come as no surprise since they have the Governator and the DFG in their back pocket they also have been granted a license to collect endangered species and they have put a bounty on great white sharks. They pay commercial fisherman for great whites dead or alive to put on display at their fish prison. It really helps drive ticket sales...These are just a few more to add to the long list or reasons to be angry about this whole situation. Believe me we (anglers) are enviromentalists but these people are no friend to the environment...

JerryG

GeordyBass
10-30-2009, 10:24 PM
The packard foundation (Friends of the Montery Bay Aquarium) is the force that is driving the MLPA forward.. These people would like nothing more than to ban fishing all together. These people are not only taking our rights but they have made sure that the law allows their boats to fish in restricted areas to collect inmates for fish prison (AKA Monterey Bay Aquarium) and catch bait to feed the inmates.

It should come as no surprise since they have the Governator and the DFG in their back pocket they also have been granted a license to collect endangered species and they have put a bounty on great white sharks. They pay commercial fisherman for great whites dead or alive to put on display at their fish prison. It really helps drive ticket sales...These are just a few more to add to the long list or reasons to be angry about this whole situation. Believe me we (anglers) are enviromentalists but these people are no friend to the environment...

JerryG

The Packard Foundation Btw is From HP, the computer appliance company. Also Include the Baum Foundation and a few OIL Companies. I forget the name of the company by I think it is Conoco Phillips or Texaco.... The oil companies are wanting to also finance mlpa/governator so they can make oil wells all over the CA coast. I also spoke to the Baum Foundation lady and she replied that fishing is the problem. I asked her "what about the businesses and jobs that will be lost, Sewage waist, pollution?" no answer.... Then I asked her again and she finally replied that she believed those issues weren't as Important as saving fish and sand crabs etc. from being "Decimated" in their population. Then I replied to her exactly as before and she said that "as much as I want to speak more about this issue, my job is demanding of my time; and I can't be really having anymore questions from you, but I can send you links to forums about this issue."..... Oh yeah, I acted as an MLPA follower.lol

hammerheads
11-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Think about it; they care nothing about truth or civil rights of their opponents.