PDA

View Full Version : Baum Lake, Hat Creek, Pit River

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
10-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Returned from a 5 day trip after fishing these waters. Had a great time Oct. 16-20, staying in Old Station. After the fire caused by lightening, the Hat Creek in some spots are in the open with brush and trees burned away. Many pools can be easily seen but you've got to approach in the "Stealth Mode". Otherwise, fishing is back to normal there, catching many 12 - 14" rainbows. Baum Lake had good fishing with limits a bit harder to come by. Many of the rainbows caught were about 1.25 - 1.5 lbs each caught with PB, yellow/chrome Panther Martins/nymphs. With the rainy/cloudy conditions on Sunday and Monday many brown trout were cruising for a bite. I did manage to catch a couple browns using a chartreuse/black Panther Martin in the 12 - 14" size. But the best fishing was in the Pit River where I landed 3 rainbows weighing 2.25, 3.5, and 4 lbs. No big browns, but the water was a bit stained because of the rain. All in all another great tirp to the area. AND YES, I DID STOP AT JJ's. John and Judy have the greatest meals! Hope they will be there next season (JJ's is for sale):(
TTFM

FISHNCHIPS
11-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Glad you got back up there to enjoy such good fishing in a wonderful place. And JJ's is good food.
I moved from Hat Creek a month ago to Cave Junction Oregon and I miss "home". I managed the Lost Creek trout facility for Mt. Lassen Trout Farms since it was built twenty years ago and loved every minute of it. I'll miss that skyline of the peaks and Hat Creek Rim forever. Did more rafting than fishing on the Pit River but it's in my blood.
That fire did open up a lot of good water now that the brush is gone. I've never seen much of that stretch of creek.
Now I'm just surrounded by the Smith,Illinois,Rogue and Applegate Rivers.I guess I'll fit in!!!