PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Sierra destination

troutdog
07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I have been to the Sierras several times over the years and consider it one of my favorite fishing destinations. I have stayed at Convict resort as well as Virginia Lakes, but I usually pitch a tent and camp somewhere along Bishop Creek. I am trying to plan a trip so my parents can enjoy the beauty of the area. With Mom having shoulder surgery and Dad needing a knee replacement this summer, 2007 has posed some challenges and they need to get out of the house to breath some fresh air.

So here is my question...where would you suggest I take them? I was hoping for an easy access cabin with a deck for Mom to read her books on, maybe even get a view of the lake if possible. Was also looking for an area that does not require much of a walk in case Dad wants to try his hand at fishing. I know Convict has a great handicap fishing dock and the cabins are nice, but no view of the lake. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I want to make this a great trip for them as they truely deserve it. Thanks for your time and I appreciate any suggestions you could give me.

Oh yeah...folks have a well behaved dog they wanted to bring as well, not sure of that would make a difference or not.

See you on the water!

TD

Shock
07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I just stayed at Parchers and I highly recomment it. Depending on which cabin, the creek is right next to a few of them and there are plenty of fish to be caught in the creek. The cabins there are very nice and the people there are great!!! Check out their website and you can see the pics. I would suggest cabin 25 because it is right next to the creek.... The lake is about 1 mile up the road so you would need to drive to it and if you fly fish there is a really nice spot between the camp and tha lake to fly fish....

fishntoss
07-04-2007, 02:45 AM
Personally, I'd take em up to the June Lake loop area. Not alot of hilly areas to walk around. Convienent places to drive around and check out. Not sure of the altitude, but I believe Parchers is around 9200 ft. If it were just me, it would be Parchers for sure. I dunno, talkin shoulder problems and knee probs.. I wouldnt go, just cuz of the terrain and altitude combo.
June area is pretty much civilized but still places to go to get away from it all.
Or how bout a trip up to Big Bear if you didn't want to drive that far.
I'd check with the folks to see what they think they can handle.
I smoke like a chimney and it takes me at least a day and a half to get used to the above 9000 ft level. Even then I walk pretty slow and take more breaks to rest..But, hey, you probably already figured that in.. soooo... let us know where ya go, and take some pix..... :)
Also check out Shocks report on his trip to Parchers..in the Eastern Sierras post.... great story. I can't wait to get up there. Gonna have to wait til next year tho..... :(

Fisher-of-Men
08-16-2007, 04:40 AM
With everythin considered with you parents and all; I think Parchers Resort near South lake in the Bishop Creek Canyon would be a wise choice. You are still very close to where you normally go camping, but your parents have most of the comforts of home as well. Camping in a tent may be a bit much considering the circumstances; although that's the way I normally do it.

Good Luck :!:

:thumb:

Fisher-of-Men

olfishergal
08-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Parchers or the loop both work

Nessie Hunter
08-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Im a big fan of Parchers Resort and the Smith Family..

Nice place, nice atmosphere, nice family, nice fishing... :thumb:

Cant go wrong................