PDA

View Full Version : newport harbor/ surf report.. wed oct 21st

smokehound
10-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, it seems most of the corbina have returned to the harbors, mOStly.. i still had a few bump into my feet.. At least i think those were beans.. =\

At first, i fished the channel, using salted/sugared mussel, got a scrappy little baby bass to strike, he LOVED it, he even kept chewing with his throat while i removed the hook.

After that it died, the tide was VERY low. So i then decided to poke around in the surf here and there, and managed a nice chunky spawning male BSP.. (I am currently eating that surfperch as I type, fried in flour)

After that the surf just got to be too much for me, i heard it was calmer in huntington and northward..

So after a few brutal punches from the ocean, i went back to the channel to check out how the huge 6 foot+ tide affected things there..

It was WFO on yfc, sfc, corbina, sargo, and bass. Im sure everyone else in the harbor had a good time!

I brought home one decent spotfin to beer-batter. Man the ocean kicks ***, free tasty food year-round..

There's a jackinthebox nearby so to keep my fish fresh i put them in a ziploc freezer bag, and fill it with Ice from the soda fountain there. rofl

fishshep
10-21-2009, 05:57 PM
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:Now thats the kind of inovation
I like !!!! "Jack in the Boxes" ice
to keep your fish fresher till you get
home !!! :ROFL:
Like that area too !!! Good info to
know that they are biting good on
that high tide time. Usually fished
on the low :Confused:
You should put a sticker on your bumper
reading P.E.T.A.
P.eople E.ating T.asty A.nimals

smokehound
10-21-2009, 07:20 PM
hahaha! yeah.. they were all looking at me funny the first time.

The second time they were all like "Oh no, not you again" in spanish.

"Ive come for ice, biatches!"

And if they kick me out, i'll just go to KFC rofl!

I found the channel is best fished during a nice current.. it could be low or high and you wont catch anything, due to a weak current.. But even a minus tide with a strong current can yield a nice fish there.

Sandcrabs, as usual slaughter the piggie sargo. They seem to prefer a crunchy bait.. Im going to try using bean clams there the next time i go.