PDA

View Full Version : DMV question??

PHISHnutS
10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
I purchased a boat months ago and have not transfered the registration into my name within the 10 days like I was supposed too. Anyone have any experience with this, what kind of penalties am I looking at? Is it a penalty per month or how does it work?

I checked around on the DMV website and could not find an answer and I don't even want to atempt to call them. I'm going to register it in my name in the next few weeks but just want to get an idea of how much extra I'm going to have to pay.

Thanks for any info!

sansou
10-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I think its the same as being late on auto registration. A sliding scale.

After a while it's 100% of the assessed value.

PHISHnutS
10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I think its the same as being late on auto registration. A sliding scale.

After a while it's 100% of the assessed value.

Sounds about right, thanks Sansou!

Kevman
10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Your penalty will be very small or zero unless your boat has a high declared value.

It is most certainly a sliding scale with increasing penalties the longer you wait. The larger penalties are if your boat does not have current registration for a long time. If your boat and trailer have current registration but you are simply late transferring them into your name, it's not a big deal.

I wouldn't stress over it. I'm a car dealer, I deal with the DMV all the time. Some admin penalties are literally like $5.

Kev

PHISHnutS
10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Your penalty will be very small or zero unless your boat has a high declared value.

It is most certainly a sliding scale with increasing penalties the longer you wait. The larger penalties are if your boat does not have current registration for a long time. If your boat and trailer have current registration but you are simply late transferring them into your name, it's not a big deal.

I wouldn't stress over it. I'm a car dealer, I deal with the DMV all the time. Some admin penalties are literally like $5.

Kev

Good to hear, it is several months late but the boat and trailer are currently registered and have a minimal value.

Thanks for the respons Kev.

smokinflies
10-21-2009, 07:38 PM
If the boat is registration current, all you have to worry about is the transfer of ownership fee which is about 20-30 dollars.

The DMV is not gonna make you pay a registration fee if the boat is currently registered.

NoHo ART
10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
just change the purchase date and your good to go :Secret:

fisherman from long beach
10-22-2009, 08:14 AM

Kevmy boat wasnt registered for 10yrs,the boat wasnt even in the computer.total cost for boat and trailer 110 bucks thats it.

PHISHnutS
10-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I feel better about it now, still not thrilled to go to the DMV though :Neutral: