PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella rig help...

AnglerBob
10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Planning to fish Castaic on Friday, and I have a new umbrella rig I'm anxious to try out. I got it from Cabela's. It has four arms.

Anybody know how to rig it up? I've got a package of three Storm swimshads and was just gonna go with that, but I wonder if that will leave the fourth arm too unbalanced.

Also, do you know if you can pull it on braid or if it has to be mono? Is it OK to add a 1 oz egg sinker (or two) to make it troll deeper—how to you get it down in the zone?

Any advice you have is welcome—feel free to send a PM. I'll post a trip report of the slayage (or more likely, skunkage, but you never know).

smalweld
10-20-2009, 08:54 PM
You can cut off the extra arm and just bend it to look like a peace sign :) As for adding weight, yes you can do it but most of the time I am too busy watching the fish finder too see what depth I am over. Usually my rigs run about 20 feet deep and get hung up sometimes. Best advise I can give you is that if you do get hung up, DO NOT YANK!!! Back the boat up and when you are past where you were hooked up, then gently pull. Have only lost one rig that way. Good luck out there, Wish I could go out on my boat but kind of hard to pull a boat with a motorcycle. LOL my truck decided to go on a winter break GRRR

Sean

Simplyeman
10-21-2009, 12:15 AM
from a recent post.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=39279

AnglerBob
10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks much guys, this totally helps. Looking forward to snagging my first umbrella rig Friday.