PDA

View Full Version : Tradition 10/18/09 Light Load! Bonies!

Odium
10-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Cappo texted me Saturday and asked if I wanted to fish the Tradition, three minutes of debating with myself and I said, "Let's do it!"

The girlfriend decided to join me on this trip.

About 5:30 we pull up to the landing and head to the office, we meet Juan and his buddy. Including the GF and I, there are only 5 anglers looking to go out on the Tradition. We get told that the Tradition might not go out unless we get seven or more people. About fifteen minutes pass and no one else shows up, Dee rings up the Tradition and gets the thumbs up to sell us tickets.

We pay up and go to board the Tradition. We meet a few other anglers waiting to board as well. All in all, I think we had 12 anglers on the Tradition; a VERY VERY light load for the boat.

Lots of fog out in the morning. With such a light load, I figured we would only be fishing local waters. But after picking up some bait, the captain announced we were headed to Catalina. I rig up a few setups and nap on the way over.

Arriving at the island, swells are light about 2-3 footers. We pass by the Pursuit and head for a big flock of birds sitting on the water. As we get closer, we saw a few bait balls. First 5 lines in the water get hit instantly. I farmed my first bonie, hahaha. I give the GF a few pointers on flylining (probably did more worse than good) and then grabbed my jig stick. I threw blue and chrome all day long.

When the bite died off about ten minutes later, we made quick runs to where ever the birds or boils were at. Our fourth stop, the crew spotted a bunch of yellowtail hanging around. Though we all tried our best, only one yellow was landed by a deckhand on a dorado colored jig. I think it was weighed in about 19 pounds.

One of the anglers hooked up two Black Sea Bass. First one was brought to the surface, pictured, and safely released. The second one was much much much much bigger and snapped the line when the angler tried to turn him back to the boat.

About 1 or 1:30 PM, the crew announced we would do a little rockfishing. One angler brought up a Ling that was just half an inch short. Another lucky angler brought in a very nice Sheephead. Must have weighed about 15 pounds or so, it beat out all the bonies on board and took the jackpot. The rockfishing rounded out the trip and we made our way back home.

Waters were flat flat flat on the way back to Redondo. Was a great day on the water and a great day fishing. Big big big big thanks to the crew on the tradition, they did a superb job helping out my GF so I could keep fishing. Thanks to them, she landed three big bonies on her own.

And the best part of the trip, the GF is leaning towards learning how to use a conventional because she doesn't want to be called Coffee Grinder Girl, hahahaha.

Sorry no pics (I know, I know, it didn't happen) but it was really dark by the time we got home and pulled out the camera.

hbomb
10-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the report bro, glad you got out. dont worry about the pics I believe you....:Cool:

Odium
10-19-2009, 10:09 AM
hahaha you might just be the only one.

If they are still chewing next week, I might try to get out on sunday. Nothing better than fishing on your birthday, even if you are celebrating the day before hand hahahaha.

cappo
10-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Had an awesome time. I got worked on 15#. You're GF did really good. You need to get her an accurate reel now. Start takin pix next time damit.

Odium
10-19-2009, 10:26 AM
I'll get her a Penn 500 to start with!!! She can start with the gear i never started with. . . .

Maybe I'll be able to pick her up one of those pink reel and rod combos that people try to sell off for bottom dollar.

Ricky-Ray
10-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Definitely a light load for sure on the Tradition. PLENTY OF RAIL SPACE!!! Sounds like it was a fun day.

LOL @ Coffee Grinder Girl.

Odium
10-19-2009, 12:12 PM
LOL @ Coffee Grinder Girl.

haha She'll beat you up RR!! Shes menacing!!! hahahaha

Ricky-Ray
10-19-2009, 12:20 PM
LOL...I'll call her that next time I see her. hahahaa

Get her a Penn 525 mag. It has the magnetic cast control so it will help her in the learning process of using a conventional.

Odium
10-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Hahaha.

one of my MXJ's has MC on it. I'll toss on a 2 ouncer on it and she can practice in my backyard with a spraybottle.

victor101
10-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Cool... BS without pics tho. Lake Mead report coming soon....with pics

deanhall32
10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Cool... BS without pics tho. Lake Mead report coming soon....with pics

Yea- If there is any water left in it!!

victor101
10-19-2009, 03:04 PM

With less water the fish have nowhere to hide. I might actually catch something this time!

Odium
10-19-2009, 03:31 PM

Vics just going to wade out into the water and pick fish out with his hands. Then he's to write a report saying his a noodling master!

Looks like your set back up, you missed the free trip that RR was offering.

Oz
10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
good 2 see u finally got out and juan too. wish i coulda gone. next time.

Vics just going to wade out into the water and pick fish out with his hands. Then he's to write a report saying his a noodling master!

Looks like your set back up, you missed the free trip that RR was offering.

noodle master vic :LOL:

gman444
10-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Nice report!! that was a pretty fun day out there, your gf outfished a couple of those guys :LOL: too bad we didnt get those yellows biting a little better. come out again soon!

greg

Odium
10-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Nice report!! that was a pretty fun day out there, your gf outfished a couple of those guys :LOL: too bad we didnt get those yellows biting a little better. come out again soon!

greg

If the bonies are still on the chew, theres a good chance I'll come back out on Sunday again.

Thanks again for helping out the GF!! It's only her second time out on a boat. She said she has a great time since everyone was so helpful!

~larissa
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Get her a Penn 525 mag. It has the magnetic cast control so it will help her in the learning process of using a conventional.

naaaaah aaaaah Ricky-Ray... ask cappo how i managed to birdsnest one of those over at purfields. :EyePop:

i'm just saying... it can happen :ROFL:

Odium
10-20-2009, 09:26 AM
hahaha I managed to nest up a MXL MC at the "Avet Casting Lagoon" at this years Fred Hall Show. I'm sure the avet guy was like /sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

~larissa
10-20-2009, 09:34 AM
oooooooh yah forgot to add......

great report, too bad no pictures. at least the boners were delicious :Wink:

Odium
10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
ya cappo texted me a picture of the grilled boners yesterday. I got jealous hahaha

He said he forgot about the yellowtail collar he got from john though hahaha