PDA

View Full Version : open party boat ?

uniraok
10-19-2009, 01:42 AM
heylo everyone...i'm thinking about going on my 2nd open party boat...my first trip was a 1/2 day, not a great exp since i was the only one on the boat that caught something (think it was a sand bass, but only bout 6 inches...i'm hoping this 2nd trip, 3/4 day will be better...is it alright if i take a 2nd rod w/ me on the boat?..also is it a bother to ask the deckhand peeps to help w/ rig?...also, regards to rig, i''ve been attaching a swivel w/ a 3/4 oz bead, then attaching leader hook...is it setup ok?

Ricky-Ray
10-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Welcome aboard. You can bring as many rods as you like on board HOWEVER you can only fish with one rod at any given time while your on the trip. On a typical 3/4 day trip I'll bring as many as 4 or 5 rods with me all in different # test and rigged in different ways so I don't have to cut and retie when I want to try something different.

No it's not a bother to ask the deckhands for any type of help. It's part of their job to help you out. If you have any questions or need help on anything don't hesitate to ask them. Make sure at the end of the day you tip them for their efforts.

In terms of rigging it all depends on where you are fishing and also what's biting and at what depth. If they are the surface for example you could be flylining your bait. That would just be a hook on the line with very little or no weight. If your fishing the bottom then you could be rigged up for either a dropper loop or reverse dropper loop setup.

Again all depending on where you are going to be fishing and where the fish are biting is going to determine how you will rig up. Check with the deckhands and they will tell you how best to rig up.

uniraok
10-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the quick reply...now I'm planning to bring two rods, one w/ 12lb test rigged w/ an iron and another probably 25lb to flyline live bait...would this set be ok or is there an ideal setup I should aim for.
Now is fishing w/ a lucky craft lure okay on these trips, or will it not work? Should I just stick to iron and live bait?

Thanks

Ricky-Ray
10-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Not sure if I would want to throw iron on 12# line. I usually throw iron on nothing less than 30#.

On a 3/4 day trip at minimum this is what I usually bring:

15# setup mainly for the calico's
25# bait
30 or 40# iron

I've never fished the lucky craft lures so I can't comment on those. If I'm tossing iron's it's usually either the Tady's, Salas, megabait jigs or croc spoons.

fisherman from long beach
10-19-2009, 12:03 PM
went out on sat and i had 12lb workin anchovy lure,my lil cousin caught a nice yt,i also had 15lb on my noodle kencor rod and caught my hali,and i was workin the live dines on the bottom.good luck

uniraok
10-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the advice so far..i was also reading another post, what does it mean to follow your fish?

lalo56
10-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the advice so far..i was also reading another post, what does it mean to follow your fish?

It means if once you have a fish hooked and it swims to the right or left to follow it, so start going over or under the people to prevent tangled lines.

Odium
10-20-2009, 09:08 AM
If you are going to fish those two setups

I would flyline on the 12#
and
throw iron on the 25#

As for following your fish: Ideally you always want your fish in front of you. To do this, you will have to walk!!! And you will have to duck under or go over other anglers. If your fish goes towards the bow and you are at the stern, go around the corner and up the rail!!!!

If you dont follow your fish around, you are going to tangle people up or your fish is going to go under the boat and your line is going to snap.

I can't link the exact picture (photobucket is blocked at work), but take a look at the picture with the caption "Heres an example of why YOU NEED TO FOLLOW YOUR FISH!!!"

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=39018

DO NOT BE LIKE THAT GUY! Follow your fish!!