PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Drop Shot Setup

Fire Ball
10-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I started using the drop shot rig and once I start using it more I am going to want to get an inexpensive rod and reel for drop shotting for my birthday, since it is coming up at the beginning of next month. I don't want something too expensive, but I want something that is pretty good quality and won't break on me.

Tips for a new drop shot angler?

samgann93
10-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Shimano Convergence Spinning CVSX70MLA with a Shimano Sonora FB SON2500FB.

Put some 6lb Izor XXX.

Cheaper setup but still is a reasonably nice one.

Fire Ball
10-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Shimano Convergence Spinning CVSX70MLA with a Shimano Sonora FB SON2500FB.

Put some 6lb Izor XXX.

Cheaper setup but still is a reasonably nice one.

That's not too expensive. I'll have to see if my parents are willing to spend that much for my birthday. They bought my brother some nice stuff so hopefully they will buy this for me. I will checkout eBay and try and find a good deal.

samgann93
10-18-2009, 07:54 PM
good. drop shotting is a great way to catch alot of fish. Use roboworms, best drop shot worm out there.

good luck.

Fire Ball
10-18-2009, 07:56 PM
good. drop shotting is a great way to catch alot of fish. Use roboworms, best drop shot worm out there.

good luck.

I was using 6" Roboworms in Aaron's Magic color with size 1 Gamakatsu drop shot hooks and a 1/4 drop shot weight. Where should I be casting them and how far? I am shore fishing right now and in the middle of trying to fix my boat so it will run.

samgann93
10-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I was using 6" Roboworms in Aaron's Magic color with size 1 Gamakatsu drop shot hooks and a 1/4 drop shot weight. Where should I be casting them and how far? I am shore fishing right now and in the middle of trying to fix my boat so it will run.

I would pick up the 6"inch and 4"(i think) MMIII color. I use a size 2 Owner Maquito Hook. 1/4oz is perfect. As far as how far and such you just have to see where the fish are. throw as far as you can and mix it up. If you keep getting the bites in a specific area then continue fishing that area. Thats just one peice of the puzzle.

Good Luck,
SamGann

Fire Ball
10-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I would pick up the 6"inch and 4"(i think) MMIII color. I use a size 2 Owner Maquito Hook. 1/4oz is perfect. As far as how far and such you just have to see where the fish are. throw as far as you can and mix it up. If you keep getting the bites in a specific area then continue fishing that area. Thats just one peice of the puzzle.

Good Luck,
SamGann

I am terrible at locating bass, lol. I hope to get my boat in the water soon so I can catch more fish! If I am going to get a different rod, you recommend 7'0", medium light, extra fast? Is that Izorline XXX any good? The color of it looks kind of weird. Isn't it a dark blue color?

vanillagurilla
10-18-2009, 08:20 PM
size 1 gamagatsu finesse/splitshot hooks and i use 3/16th oz ds weights. the weight depends on the wind more than depth. i wouldnt use over 6lb line dropshotting. i like my 8'6" clarus with a curado 100 for d/s but other guys like spinning. for spinning and cheap i would suggest a berkly tactics from wal-mart and a shakespear advantage reel. decent setup for under 100 bucks. dont skimp on the line as u will get bad experiances and broken line. i bought a 2150yd spool of izorline xxx 6lb for $21. pline is great but a cost a little more. as far as how far???? 99% of the time the bite is on the edge of a weed line. if your trying deep try a short tag like 4-8in long. i find that 14-20 works best most times. also always try natural colors. hologram shad robos or light oxblood always works. even a stained semi-deep lake like perris it still works. i personaly dont have good luck on purple or dark brown worms like MMII or arrons magic or bold bluegill. id have to say 99% of my fish come from holo shad or light oxblood. for really clear lakes reach for a clear worm with flakes. the clearer the water the more natural colors u got to go. for stained water and sunshine.... try natural but if that dosnt work go to chartruse or orange. if stained and cloudy try blacks/blues/purples. but like i said i still get fish on natural colors in any condition. dose a worm or shad turn chartruse or orange when the water is cloudy or stained?? no. when working the bottom i always use a darker color. pumpkinseed or green pumpkin works under any conditions. IKA'S r the sh! t . givem a try!!! also try senkos. baby bass or green pumpkin with flake. try black with blue flake also. if they dont work fly line... wacky rig them... if they dont work that way.... drop shot them!! if i get flamed i dont care cuz im drunk. i hope u catch fish. if you are in the O.C. area pm me and ill take you fishing and teach you what i know works. all us fisherman have is eachother to learn from. if anyone wants help or just needs advice feel free to contact me via pm or email and ill tell you what works for ME. its not the same for everyone. i like worms.... .some guys like jigs or spinner baits or crankbaits.. its all about confidence bro. not only in the bait and presentation but wether theres fish where your castiing. you gota belive in yourself that what your doing will work and where your casting is fish. ive cast at spots with a bait im trying for the first time and have a guy behind me cast in the same spot with the same bait and catch the fish.... why??? i didnt have confidence in what i was doing as a whole. i wish you the best of luck to you and your adventures. catch fish bro!!!!

Fire Ball
10-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I already have a 7'0" medium power, fast action Shimano Sojorn and Shimano AX4000 spooled with 6 lb Vanish. Will that work or do you suggest going for something different like what you suggested?

samgann93
10-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I am terrible at locating bass, lol. I hope to get my boat in the water soon so I can catch more fish! If I am going to get a different rod, you recommend 7'0", medium light, extra fast? Is that Izorline XXX any good? The color of it looks kind of weird. Isn't it a dark blue color?

Yes. i like a 7-8 foot medium light, extra fast. IZOR XXX is the onyl line i use for anything and everything. its like a smoke color. pline is good but izor is stronger IMO.

GeordyBass
10-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Get the Convergence 7' ML spinning rod.... Has Lifetime warranty so if it breaks you get a new one no questions asked..... Also try getting a 2000 or 2500 sized reel.... about any reel will work but don't get something too cheap quality..... Also, Use Sea-guar Invis-x 6lb test.... You can use 1/2 8lb test Mono and 1/2 Seaguar.... If you had the $$$ I'd Suggest getting a new Shimano Sahara reel..... I have one and It is smooth,drag is awesome, and priced right.... It is as smooth as my old Sustain FE.... with about 1/3 the price.....

El Weirdo
10-19-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98313____SearchResults

works well for me

Fire Ball
10-19-2009, 10:46 AM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98313____SearchResults

works well for me

That is way too expensive for me! I need it to be $100 or less! I want to have a 2 piece rod so I can transport it easier.

I was looking at this for $130. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_90689_100003000_100000000_100003000_100-3-0

billy b
10-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I need to learn how to set up a drop shot. I have tons of rods and reels ... what's the diff?

Speaking of line. I'm going to have to buy spools and wind it myself. Any tips ... do we have a spot on this web site?

Thanks,

billy b

El Weirdo
10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
with the 2 piece you will give up a lot on sensitivity..basically DS is about feel..
little tics..bumps.....am no expert by any means but that is what i have learned good luck..and keep practicing ..nothing like time on the water for a teacher!

bsp
10-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Check out the Damiki Angel Ex series for cheap, good quality 2 piece rods. $80 for the rod, so pick up Shimano Sedona for a total cost of $140 before taxes/shipping. Much nicer than a comparable Bass Pro Shops combo.

fish4keep
10-19-2009, 06:15 PM
If you're serious about DSing, you should just save your $$$ and get a quality setup instead of wasting $$$ in a cheap one then upgrading down the road. You don't ALWAYS have to get brand new setups. Look in the classified section of different sites and look for a good deal. Nowadays ppl are always dumping stuff.

Instead of just asking your parents to buy it for you, ask the rest of your family to give you $$$ instead of presents. That way you could get a bundle and use it to buy the setup instead of everyone buying you something different.

GeordyBass
10-19-2009, 09:09 PM
screw the bps special,,,lol,,, consider these:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10203500____SearchResults

and

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104147_100002002_100000000_100002000_100-2-2

orrrrr:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10201566_100003002_100000000_100003000?cmC at=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Fire Ball
10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
screw the bps special,,,lol,,, consider these:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10203500____SearchResults

and

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104147_100002002_100000000_100002000_100-2-2

orrrrr:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10201566_100003002_100000000_100003000?cmC at=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

The last one looks promising, but the other 2 that are separate are too expensive. There isn't medium-light for that combo. What would you suggest?

calico killer kevin
10-19-2009, 09:21 PM
With all the money you've spent on misc. stuff, you could've bought one pretty nice setup. DS'ing is one thing you don't want to BS because you'll get a lot of headaches and heartaches. I buy all components seperate because I've never found a combo that I like.

My requirements for DS Setup are:
6'9"-7'2"
ML or M Depending on target species and depth
1 Piece
Split Grip Preferred
Ex-Fast or slightly faster than regular Fast action
Sensitive, Sensitive, Sensitive is the name of the game

Reel:
2000 or 2500 Size Quality Spinning (Personally I prefer casting reels, but a good DS casting reel is gonna cost you $$$)

Line:
15lb PowerPro or (Preferably)Sufix
5ft 4lb, 6lb, or 8lb Fluoro Leader

Price of a good combo is at least $100 without line. Think Sedona 2500 and Berkley Amp or Shock.

Fire Ball
10-19-2009, 09:52 PM
With all the money you've spent on misc. stuff, you could've bought one pretty nice setup. DS'ing is one thing you don't want to BS because you'll get a lot of headaches and heartaches. I buy all components seperate because I've never found a combo that I like.

My requirements for DS Setup are:
6'9"-7'2"
ML or M Depending on target species and depth
1 Piece
Split Grip Preferred
Ex-Fast or slightly faster than regular Fast action
Sensitive, Sensitive, Sensitive is the name of the game

Reel:
2000 or 2500 Size Quality Spinning (Personally I prefer casting reels, but a good DS casting reel is gonna cost you $$$)

Line:
15lb PowerPro or (Preferably)Sufix
5ft 4lb, 6lb, or 8lb Fluoro Leader

Price of a good combo is at least $100 without line. Think Sedona 2500 and Berkley Amp or Shock.

How about a Shimano Convergence CVSX70ML with a Shimano Solstace SO2500FI? I'm probably going to spool Vanish 6 lb test or Izorline XXX 6 lb.

Socal Bassman
10-20-2009, 02:28 AM
You've got a lot of good advice so far. The Convergence is a good rod, but IMO the Shimano Clarus would be a better choice for dropshotting. Since you're fishing from shore, go with the CSS-70MA. As for the reel, you really don't want to skimp here. Since dropshotting is a light line technique, a good drag is a must. On the Shimano side, I wouldn't go lower than the Symetre. For Daiwa, the Exceler 2000 has been a proven performer for me.

Everything mentioned above, are my suggestions for a decent drop shot setup if on a budget. IMHO, I'd rather save up for a Shimano Crucial and a Shimano Saros or any of the reels mentioned above than to buy a setup only to upgrade later. If you want to save yourself some heartache, stay away from Vanish. Stick with Izorline XXX, Seaguar, or P-Line fluorocarbon.

GeordyBass
10-20-2009, 04:59 PM
You've got a lot of good advice so far. The Convergence is a good rod, but IMO the Shimano Clarus would be a better choice for dropshotting. Since you're fishing from shore, go with the CSS-70MA. As for the reel, you really don't want to skimp here. Since dropshotting is a light line technique, a good drag is a must. On the Shimano side, I wouldn't go lower than the Symetre. For Daiwa, the Exceler 2000 has been a proven performer for me.

Everything mentioned above, are my suggestions for a decent drop shot setup if on a budget. IMHO, I'd rather save up for a Shimano Crucial and a Shimano Saros or any of the reels mentioned above than to buy a setup only to upgrade later. If you want to save yourself some heartache, stay away from Vanish. Stick with Izorline XXX, Seaguar, or P-Line fluorocarbon.
Well said. Exactly what I was thinking.

Another thing, I'm not a fully fledged DSer so I dont have a DS only rod anymore,,, I sold my 6'8" Crucial ML DS rod because I dont do it enough at all,,, I have all arounder rods so I use my 7'3" Carrot Stix MH w/ Daiwa Sol 2500 for it anyways...

But if you are going to mostly do DSing go ahead, but spend some $$$ wisely and you'll need to break out about $150-200 for a good setup....

My carrot stix combo was about $400+.... Spent all that because that is my go to rod,,,:Cool:

Fire Ball
10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Well said. Exactly what I was thinking.

Another thing, I'm not a fully fledged DSer so I dont have a DS only rod anymore,,, I sold my 6'8" Crucial ML DS rod because I dont do it enough at all,,, I have all arounder rods so I use my 7'3" Carrot Stix MH w/ Daiwa Sol 2500 for it anyways...

But if you are going to mostly do DSing go ahead, but spend some $$$ wisely and you'll need to break out about $150-200 for a good setup....

My carrot stix combo was about $400+.... Spent all that because that is my go to rod,,,:Cool:

I think for right now I will keep using my general spinning setup and if I start drop shotting a lot more, then I will get a good dedicated setup. The setup isn't very expensive, but I think that it will be ok to use for the time being. I'm still thinking about the dedicated setup right now, but I am going to practice drop shotting a lot more now until my birthday.

bsp
10-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Dropshotting definitely needs a specialized set up if you are going to spend a lot of time with it. The lowest I would go for a dedicated set up would be a Shimano Crucial and Symetre and that's like $250. A good set up would be like a Phenix Ultra MMBX 76M, Dobyns Champion 702, or Cumara 7'2" Med Xfast paired up with a Shimano Saros 2500 or 1000 depending on what you like. It's one of the most consistent bass catching techniques, and is simple enough to learn to do well that 2 months of fishing every weekend will make you decent at it. Getting really good takes a while though.

If you can pick up Aaron Martens' dropshot video I'd recommend it.

GeordyBass
10-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Dropshotting definitely needs a specialized set up if you are going to spend a lot of time with it. The lowest I would go for a dedicated set up would be a Shimano Crucial and Symetre and that's like $250. A good set up would be like a Phenix Ultra MMBX 76M, Dobyns Champion 702, or Cumara 7'2" Med Xfast paired up with a Shimano Saros 2500 or 1000 depending on what you like. It's one of the most consistent bass catching techniques, and is simple enough to learn to do well that 2 months of fishing every weekend will make you decent at it. Getting really good takes a while though.

If you can pick up Aaron Martens' dropshot video I'd recommend it.
Thats a lot of $$$ for a dedicated....

The ones you mentioned are more for like very experienced....

St. Croix Mojo Bass
+
Shimano Sahara

and you got the ball rollin'

bsp
10-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Thats a lot of $$$ for a dedicated....

The ones you mentioned are more for like very experienced....

St. Croix Mojo Bass
+
Shimano Sahara

and you got the ball rollin'

I feel like it's better to drop the $$$ on a dedicated combo so it does what you want perfectly. Kind of like how a high end crankbait rod really helps with keeping fish pinned on the hooks, is very sensitive, and tosses baits far, or pretty much any other technique specific rod does its job much better than an all around. I also am not a fan of upgrading. I've always used cheap gear until I could afford a top of the line set up.

This is all personal opinion though, so if you disagree that's cool. One of my friends is always upgrading his paintball marker/gun or trading it to somebody else for a lower end model plus cash when he needs money. Then he upgrades and adds cash again. I can't figure out the appeal, but he's happy so that's what matters.

But you do have a point that the set ups I picked are $$$. A St. Croix Mojo or Shimano Compre with a Sahara would be a good first dropshot combo if you didn't want to spend a lot.

Fire Ball
10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
I feel like it's better to drop the $$$ on a dedicated combo so it does what you want perfectly. Kind of like how a high end crankbait rod really helps with keeping fish pinned on the hooks, is very sensitive, and tosses baits far, or pretty much any other technique specific rod does its job much better than an all around. I also am not a fan of upgrading. I've always used cheap gear until I could afford a top of the line set up.

This is all personal opinion though, so if you disagree that's cool. One of my friends is always upgrading his paintball marker/gun or trading it to somebody else for a lower end model plus cash when he needs money. Then he upgrades and adds cash again. I can't figure out the appeal, but he's happy so that's what matters.

But you do have a point that the set ups I picked are $$$. A St. Croix Mojo or Shimano Compre with a Sahara would be a good first dropshot combo if you didn't want to spend a lot.

I plan on getting a setup that isn't very expensive and I am not going to be upgrading it. So getting a cheaper setup isn't going to cause me to upgrade in the future.

GeordyBass
10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
I plan on getting a setup that isn't very expensive and I am not going to be upgrading it. So getting a cheaper setup isn't going to cause me to upgrade in the future.

Dude, no matter what you say about you not upgrading in the future you will, trust me, i don't care if you say no,you will upgrade,,,:Wink:

I started off with a pos Berkeley Lightning Stick($45) and a Quantum Optix 30(Best reel in the world for $20-30).... I thought this was what I would only need for the rest of my fishing life,,,:EyePop:

Well, I already replied on what gear I have so I need not say anymore... My 3 go-to freshwater rods are about 1k in total.... so theres been upgrading.... about 2-3k in my setups in total.... I've gotten rid of some rods and reels already so I now have what I really need.... I've sold off my Shimano Stella 4000(Search how much they cost bro!), Shimano Sustain 3000, and a few other rods like Cal-Stars or Tru-lines....

I regret selling the Stella though:Embarrassed:
:LOL:

Fire Ball
10-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Dude, no matter what you say about you not upgrading in the future you will, trust me, i don't care if you say no,you will upgrade,,,:Wink:

I started off with a pos Berkeley Lightning Stick($45) and a Quantum Optix 30(Best reel in the world for $20-30).... I thought this was what I would only need for the rest of my fishing life,,,:EyePop:

Well, I already replied on what gear I have so I need not say anymore... My 3 go-to freshwater rods are about 1k in total.... so theres been upgrading.... about 2-3k in my setups in total.... I've gotten rid of some rods and reels already so I now have what I really need.... I've sold off my Shimano Stella 4000(Search how much they cost bro!), Shimano Sustain 3000, and a few other rods like Cal-Stars or Tru-lines....

I regret selling the Stella though:Embarrassed:
:LOL:

Do you suggest I get a Quantum Optix? Lol. I am either going to get a Okuma Aveon, Shimano Sienna, Shimano Solstace, or something else.

GeordyBass
10-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Do you suggest I get a Quantum Optix? Lol. I am either going to get a Okuma Aveon, Shimano Sienna, Shimano Solstace, or something else.
The older models were very good, I caught a 4-5ft shark with the setup....lol... IDK about the new ones though try em' out it wont hurt...lol... But get a good rod man...Clarus, compre, mojobass, crucial etc etc...:Cool:

Owner626
10-20-2009, 11:19 PM
wERE cAN i gET tHIS lINE .... ?

??????

IZOR XXX
?? i NEED 6-8 LBS AND 10-12 LBS..

GeordyBass
10-21-2009, 12:24 AM

??????

IZOR XXX

I think there is something wrong with either your keyboard, shift key or a bad twitch on your pinky???????????? I tHiNk ThEy SeLl ThAt IzOr LiNe OnLiNe At TaCkLeWaReHoUsE oR tAcKlEdIrEct.CoM mAyBe BaSs PrO oR CaBeLaS..... YoU'lL FiNd It SoOn BuT FiRsT GeT a NeW kEyBoArD bEcAuSe GoOgLe MaY nOt UnDeRsTaNd YoUr GrAmMaR.... gOoD lUcK kId,,,LoL,,,lMaO,,,rOfTl,,,J/k,,,HaHaHaHaHa,,, FnN iS tHe BeSt !¡!¡! WoOhOoOoOoO !¡!¡!

Socal Bassman
10-21-2009, 01:22 AM

I'll remember those words when you come back asking about a Loomis dropshot rod and a Shimano Stradic or Sustain. :LOL: Seriously though, you're just starting out. Once you learn more about the dropshot and see it's effectiveness, you will be looking to upgrade sooner or later. I still remember the $30 Berkley Signature Series rod and a $20 Abu Garcia Maxxar I used when I first started dropshotting. That was 11 years ago! Since then, I've upgraded the rod 6 times and 3 or 4 times for the reel.

From my own personal experience, I'm not saying to buy the best out there on the market. But buy the best that you can afford AND one which you'll be happy with for a few years. Or you'll find yourself spending more money upgrading every so often when you could've bought a good mid range setup to begin with. Just my :My Two Cents:.

bsp
10-21-2009, 07:47 AM

??????

IZOR XXX

Turner's Outdoorsman, Sport Chalet, or Sports Authority should carry it.

Also, what SoCal siad is dead on about upgrading. You will eventually upgrade, and you'll find you spend more if you just buy what you can afford now instead of saving for a more expensive set up. I'd save your money for a nice set up later instead of buying a relatively inexpensive set up now. You just started drop shotting, so you don't need a dedicated combo yet. Wait for a few months, save, and then pick one up that will last you a few years as opposed to getting one you will upgrade in a few months.

Fire Ball
10-21-2009, 10:38 AM

Also, what SoCal siad is dead on about upgrading. You will eventually upgrade, and you'll find you spend more if you just buy what you can afford now instead of saving for a more expensive set up. I'd save your money for a nice set up later instead of buying a relatively inexpensive set up now. You just started drop shotting, so you don't need a dedicated combo yet. Wait for a few months, save, and then pick one up that will last you a few years as opposed to getting one you will upgrade in a few months.

Good idea. I will just practice now until I feel that I need a dedicated setup, then I will be able to afford something more expensive. Thank guys.

Owner626
10-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Checked sport chalet..didnt have it ..Only the regular one but not the xxx.. tried it befor its nice..but cant fint it now..ill try big 5

calico killer kevin
10-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Checked sport chalet..didnt have it ..Only the regular one but not the xxx.. tried it befor its nice..but cant fint it now..ill try big 5
For future reference, you may want to start another thread for your personal needs out of respect for the original owner.

That said, the cheapest I'e found it is on ebay. $13-$15 for a 1/4lb spool. More line than you'll ever need.

Fire Ball
10-21-2009, 04:43 PM
For future reference, you may want to start another thread for your personal needs out of respect for the original owner.

That said, the cheapest I'e found it is on ebay. $13-$15 for a 1/4lb spool. More line than you'll ever need.

Owner is cool, lol. He doesn't need to start a new thread unless he wants to. I also want to get Izoline XXX since everyone loves it! I'm pretty sure I saw it when I was at Sport Chalet and Big 5.

dfisher
10-21-2009, 05:24 PM
you will get the fishing upgrade buying bug, the more you see the more you want. I said the same thing you said, and now I got 4 new setups within a few month span :ROFL:

hakaveli
10-21-2009, 06:04 PM
you will get the fishing upgrade buying bug, the more you see the more you want. I said the same thing you said, and now I got 4 new setups within a few month span :ROFL:

Yeap i've had that bug too . Upgraded all my salt gear in a span of 6 months lol . 9 custom rods with all avets . IM SICK I NEED HELP

Owner626
10-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Owner is cool, lol. He doesn't need to start a new thread unless he wants to. I also want to get Izoline XXX since everyone loves it! I'm pretty sure I saw it when I was at Sport Chalet and Big 5.

Lol ... Thats whats up "G"
Gotta hit up the lake sometimes...stay up playa./..

Fire Ball
10-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Lol ... Thats whats up "G"
Gotta hit up the lake sometimes...stay up playa./..

I might hit up the lagoon tomorrow after school since I get out at 11:00ish. Either that or I will go to Channel Islands Harbor or Ventura Harbor. Not exactly sure what I am going to do.

Owner626
10-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I might hit up the lagoon tomorrow after school since I get out at 11:00ish. Either that or I will go to Channel Islands Harbor or Ventura Harbor. Not exactly sure what I am going to do.
If you did end up hittind the goon let me kno ,
thanks

Owner626

Fire Ball
10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
If you did end up hittind the goon let me kno ,
thanks

Owner626

You guys can read about it here!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=400457

Fire Ball
10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
I am going to see if I can get a St. Croix Mojo Bass first and then if I can't get that, I will buy a Shimano Convergence. What reel though? Will a Shimano Solstace be fine or should I go with something better like a Sedona or even Sahara? What about different brands? I'm not too familiar with brands other than Shimano.

GeordyBass
10-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I am going to see if I can get a St. Croix Mojo Bass first and then if I can't get that, I will buy a Shimano Convergence. What reel though? Will a Shimano Solstace be fine or should I go with something better like a Sedona or even Sahara? What about different brands? I'm not too familiar with brands other than Shimano.
Sahara and Mojobass or Clarus!

Fire Ball
10-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Sahara and Mojobass or Clarus!

Hmmm, probably going to be too expensive, lol. When you saw me at Castaic, did I look like a guy that is super rich? Lol. Just look at my boat, that thing is vintage! :Cool:

The max I will spend is... $150. I had it at $100 before, but I doubt I will be able to get something good that I won't want to upgrade for that price.

GeordyBass
10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Hmmm, probably going to be too expensive, lol. When you saw me at Castaic, did I look like a guy that is super rich? Lol. Just look at my boat, that thing is vintage! :Cool:

The max I will spend is... $150. I had it at $100 before, but I doubt I will be able to get something good that I won't want to upgrade for that price.
hahaha You didnt look poor?:Twisted:

My 17' whaler is a 1969, thats Vintage!:Envious:

My 13' Gregor is an 83'.

Fire Ball
10-26-2009, 09:18 PM
hahaha You didnt look poor?:Twisted:

My 17' whaler is a 1969, thats Vintage!:Envious:

My 13' Gregor is an 83'.

I'm not poor, I'm just not rich! My boat is a 1970 IMP Cherokee, then the motor is a 1971 Mercury 800.

How about you buy me a Clarus and a Sahara? :Envious:

Btw, how did you recognize me that day? From the picture of my first drop shot bass from 2 days earlier?

GeordyBass
10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm not poor, I'm just not rich! My boat is a 1970 IMP Cherokee, then the motor is a 1971 Mercury 800.

How about you buy me a Clarus and a Sahara? :Envious:

Btw, how did you recognize me that day? From the picture of my first drop shot bass from 2 days earlier?
yeah, and that boat too,,,lol,,,

that boat hauled a.s.s though!

And nope, I just bought myself a new Sahara 3000 and a clarus 7'6" M,,,:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Fire Ball
10-26-2009, 09:50 PM
yeah, and that boat too,,,lol,,,

that boat hauled a.s.s though!

And nope, I just bought myself a new Sahara 3000 and a clarus 7'6" M,,,:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Nice. We got the boat going pretty fast, but we are going to try and get it to go faster by fixing the throttle cable so that we can utilize its full potential.

When is the next time you are going to Castaic? Do expensive rods and reel really make a difference? I have never owned any expensive gear besides saltwater gear.

GeordyBass
10-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Nice. We got the boat going pretty fast, but we are going to try and get it to go faster by fixing the throttle cable so that we can utilize its full potential.

When is the next time you are going to Castaic? Do expensive rods and reel really make a difference? I have never owned any expensive gear besides saltwater gear.

Get r' Done! lolA Sahara/Clarus Combo isn't too expensive bro,,, Reel $79.99 and rod 89.99.... That's pretty cheap and the best bang for the buck! The reel I have on my carrot stix already costs the price of the combo! Daiwa Sol 2500 almost $200.... The Clarus has a Lifetime Warranty, so if it breaks you'll get a new one for free. It is also very sensitive and light! Especially for the price. The Sahara has a good smooth drag and retrieve and is a tank. I think spending the extra $$$ is worth it,,, Better Quality and warranty. The convergence is a good rod too. I have a 7' Medium and it's impressive for the price too. I've noticed that my more expensive gear gets tortured and used more than my cheap gear, but I always have them as back-ups...

GeordyBass
10-27-2009, 04:49 PM
LOL This is my arsenal of stuff bro about 3k,,,
Fresh:
7'3" Carrot Stix/Daiwa Sol
7'2" Shimano Crucial/Sahara 3000 *New Addition*
7'6" Shimano Clarus/Sahara 2500 *New Addition*
7'6" Offshore Series Gold Cup/Okuma Aveon
7' Shimano Convergence/ Stradic 4000
6'6" Berkeley Lightning Rod/Tica 2000
6' Quantum Bill Dance/Daiwa Regal 2000 xia
6' Lamiglas UL/Shimano Sahara 500
(And a couple other crappy trout rods)

Salt:
7' Calstar GFGR 700M/ProGear 3000/Daiwa Great Lakes (Striper Trollin Reel)
7' Shimano Trevala/Avet SX/Daiwa Accudepth(Stripey Trolling Reel)
7' Fenwick Pacific Stick/Shimano TLD Levelwind
7' Bluefin Rod/ Daiwa Sealine-X 40

And all the rest of tackle Boxes etc.

I have almost any rod for any application of fishing I always do,,, I use all of the rods for different purposes and thats why I spend some coin there!

hakaveli
10-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Fresh:

Salt:

I have almost any rod for any application of fishing I always do,,, I use all of the rods for different purposes and thats why I spend some coin there!

man u tackle whore hahaha ... i shouldnt even be talkin

Fire Ball
10-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Fresh:

Salt:

Wow, you have too much gear! I couldn't imagine spend $3000 on fishing gear! What kind of fluorocarbon do you think I should get for my drop shot reel, if I get one?

hakaveli
10-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Wow, you have too much gear! I couldn't imagine spend $3000 on fishing gear! What kind of fluorocarbon do you think I should get for my drop shot reel, if I get one?

let the whoring begin haha.

I use sunline fluoro

u havent seen nothing yet compare to the other guys in this forum .some have reached 10 -15 k in gear.EVERYONE u know who u are and admit ur addiction

GeordyBass
10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
SeaGuar is great but try that triple fish stuff I posted up,,,you'll like it!:Envious:

GeordyBass
10-27-2009, 05:02 PM
let the whoring begin haha.

I use sunline fluoro

u havent seen nothing yet compare to the other guys in this forum .some have reached 10 -15 k in gear.EVERYONE u know who u are and admit ur addiction
Yeah! I've been fishing "Seriously" for about 2 years! I've fished since I was 4 (Panfish and trout btw) but I've built the "Arsenal" up for the last 2 yrs hahaha,,,

(And a couple other crappy trout rods)The rods I'm talking about there are the rods I've had for the last10 yrs,,,hahaha,,,

Fire Ball
10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
SeaGuar is great but try that triple fish stuff I posted up,,,you'll like it!:Envious:

You have personally used Triple Fish before? It seems to have a smaller diameter than most fluorocarbons, should I get 8 lb test instead of 6 lb to compensate? Is the Seaguar InvizX the line you like?

GeordyBass
10-27-2009, 06:58 PM
You have personally used Triple Fish before? It seems to have a smaller diameter than most fluorocarbons, should I get 8 lb test instead of 6 lb to compensate? Is the Seaguar InvizX the line you like?
both will work, I've only used 4lb but it is awesome,,, really worth the $10!
6 would be better because you will also have the extra line on your reel too,,, but it's your call:Envious:

Fire Ball
10-27-2009, 07:02 PM
both will work, I've only used 4lb but it is awesome,,, really worth the $10!
6 would be better because you will also have the extra line on your reel too,,, but it's your call:Envious:

Yes, but I am buying a 2500 series reel so it can hold 200 yards of 6 lb test and then the Triple Fish comes on a 200 yard spool! I am going to get 8 lb test Triple Fish.

Socal Bassman
10-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Triple Fish makes a good line. It just had more memory than I would like though. Sunline is the best I have used, but it is pricey. I highly recommend Seaguar Carbon Pro in 6lb. or 8lb. P-Line fluoro is also a good choice.

That's quite an arsenal you've built there Geordy. Man, I'm afraid to price mine. Considering the two setups I use the most cost more than what I paid for my boat. :LOL:

GeordyBass
10-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Triple Fish makes a good line. It just had more memory than I would like though. Sunline is the best I have used, but it is pricey. I highly recommend Seaguar Carbon Pro in 6lb. or 8lb. P-Line fluoro is also a good choice.

That's quite an arsenal you've built there Geordy. Man, I'm afraid to price mine. Considering the two setups I use the most cost more than what I paid for my boat. :LOL:
hahahaha I know! Imagine If I kept the gear I got rid of? add another 1k or 1 1/2k,,,lol,,,

NoHo ART
10-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Fresh:

Salt:

geordy where is the youtube vid of your cellphones? :ROFL::ROFL:

Fire Ball
10-29-2009, 05:16 PM
What do you think about using braid on my drop shot reel if I wanted to buy a 1000 series reel, that way I could hold enough line. I have never used braid before, but I have heard mostly good things about it. Do I attach a fluorocarbon leader with some kind of knot? Will the braid mess up my guides?

Why do some people get 20 lb braid and then have a 10 lb leader? That doesn't make much sense to me.

GeordyBass
10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
What do you think about using braid on my drop shot reel if I wanted to buy a 1000 series reel, that way I could hold enough line. I have never used braid before, but I have heard mostly good things about it. Do I attach a fluorocarbon leader with some kind of knot? Will the braid mess up my guides?

Why do some people get 20 lb braid and then have a 10 lb leader? That doesn't make much sense to me.
dont get braid.

braid has almost no sensitivity and floats. Stay with the fluorocarbon.... If you insist, usually reels have an extra spool, fill one with fluoro and one with braid,,,you'll see why.

Fire Ball
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
dont get braid.

braid has almost no sensitivity and floats. Stay with the fluorocarbon.... If you insist, usually reels have an extra spool, fill one with fluoro and one with braid,,,you'll see why.

I thought braid was really sensitive, just as sensitive as fluorocarbon because it has no stretch. I forgot that it floats though. What would braid be good for? Should I get it for striper fishing on the upper lake?

GeordyBass
10-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I thought braid was really sensitive, just as sensitive as fluorocarbon because it has no stretch. I forgot that it floats though. What would braid be good for? Should I get it for striper fishing on the upper lake?
Braid is good for fishing brush and using reaction baits,tubes etc.

I never use braid other than in charter boats btw. I use mostly 8lb to 10lb test for fishing bait in castaic, and 12-17lb for boils with topwater lures, I mostly use Mono or Fluoro.

Fire Ball
10-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Braid is good for fishing brush and using reaction baits,tubes etc.

I never use braid other than in charter boats btw. I use mostly 8lb to 10lb test for fishing bait in castaic, and 12-17lb for boils with topwater lures, I mostly use Mono or Fluoro.

I have 12 lb test copoly spooled on my baitcasting reel so I should be fine with that, right? Medium-heavy rod is good? I have a flitter shad spook, will I be able to catch any striper with that? What is the best thing to use in boils and the best thing to use when they aren't boiling? You going to Castaic this weekend?

GeordyBass
10-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I have 12 lb test copoly spooled on my baitcasting reel so I should be fine with that, right? Medium-heavy rod is good? I have a flitter shad spook, will I be able to catch any striper with that? What is the best thing to use in boils and the best thing to use when they aren't boiling? You going to Castaic this weekend?

Rod,line,lure will work just fine. I'd personally use the kpn mini 4" topwater lure and kpn skinny shad rattle trap style lure.... both will work great.... Also Zara Spooks are good, Also use cut Sardines/Anchovies carolina rigged for striper and catfish..... Your setup will work just fine bro.

Fire Ball
10-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Rod,line,lure will work just fine. I'd personally use the kpn mini 4" topwater lure and kpn skinny shad rattle trap style lure.... both will work great.... Also Zara Spooks are good, Also use cut Sardines/Anchovies carolina rigged for striper and catfish..... Your setup will work just fine bro.

How should I be fishing the Spook or KPN? Walk the dog in the coves? I might try the cut anchovies. How much weight should I be using on the carolina rig?

My dad is going to pick up a new reel for striper since his current one really sucks. Should he put 10 lb or 12 lb test on it? Copoly or mono for topwater or does it not really matter as long as it isn't fluoro? Will his medium power rod work fine?

GeordyBass
10-29-2009, 07:00 PM
How should I be fishing the Spook or KPN? Walk the dog in the coves? I might try the cut anchovies. How much weight should I be using on the carolina rig?

My dad is going to pick up a new reel for striper since his current one really sucks. Should he put 10 lb or 12 lb test on it? Copoly or mono for topwater or does it not really matter as long as it isn't fluoro? Will his medium power rod work fine?yup.yup. and yup. But the topwater thing isn't going to last long.
Walk the dog.

1/2oz egg sinker.

His rod will work.

10 or 12 are both fine and any line will work.

Never go by the rod's ratings though, I buy rods for the feel of them never by the line rating etc.

just go do it and you'll be just fine.

Fire Ball
10-29-2009, 07:19 PM
yup.yup. and yup. But the topwater thing isn't going to last long.
Walk the dog.

1/2oz egg sinker.

His rod will work.

10 or 12 are both fine and any line will work.

Never go by the rod's ratings though, I buy rods for the feel of them never by the line rating etc.

just go do it and you'll be just fine.

Tops waters aren't going to be working much longer? What should I use then? The rattle trap style KPN and the cut bait? Are you going to Castaic this weekend?

GeordyBass
10-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Tops waters aren't going to be working much longer? What should I use then? The rattle trap style KPN and the cut bait? Are you going to Castaic this weekend?

I meant it will slow down in about a couple of months because of the colder weather. The rattle trap will work and anchovies too. Also trout swimbaits will pick up too. They will stock Trout in the upper and striper love some trout dinner!:Twisted:

Also, trolling will pick up really well too. Bob (TroutOnly) Is a guide for that and he'll teach you guys really well if you take on a guide trip.... he's the 3rd ad on the top,,,pm him for more further info,,,

And, No I'm not gonna fish this weekend, have some things to do,,,

Fire Ball
10-29-2009, 07:33 PM
I meant it will slow down in about a couple of months because of the colder weather. The rattle trap will work and anchovies too. Also trout swimbaits will pick up too. They will stock Trout in the upper and striper love some trout dinner!:Twisted:

Also, trolling will pick up really well too. Bob (TroutOnly) Is a guide for that and he'll teach you guys really well if you take on a guide trip.... he's the 3rd ad on the top,,,pm him for more further info,,,

And, No I'm not gonna fish this weekend, have some things to do,,,

I've heard that he is a great guide, but we can't afford it! What kind of lure do you use when you troll? As for swimbaits, I might pickup a 6" Castaic swimbait, they looks pretty good and they aren't too much money. Will a SPRO BBZ-1 4" Shad work well since it looks exactly like a shad?

bsp
10-29-2009, 07:43 PM
dont get braid.

Geordy man, braid is insanely sensitive! Braid+ 12ft fluoro leader = crazy sensitive dropshot set up (pain to change the topshot every trip though, so I don't do it). Why do you say it has no sensitivity?

Also, the fact that floats ans has no stretch makes it killer for topwaters. Braid+fluoro is also great for dealing with large, lineshy fish near heavy cover. The fluoro acts like a shock absorber too, so you won't rip baits out of a fish's mouth and you can break off your lure without losing a bunch of braid.

GeordyBass
10-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Geordy man, braid is insanely sensitive! Braid+ 12ft fluoro leader = crazy sensitive dropshot set up (pain to change the topshot every trip though, so I don't do it). Why do you say it has no sensitivity?

Also, the fact that floats ans has no stretch makes it killer for topwaters. Braid+fluoro is also great for dealing with large, lineshy fish near heavy cover. The fluoro acts like a shock absorber too, so you won't rip baits out of a fish's mouth and you can break off your lure without losing a bunch of braid.
braid for dropshotting isn't good. You really want the line to sink bro... it's really just my opinion, and because no stretch doesn't mean it's sensitive; It really holds the tension on the leader and not the line itself,,,:Envious:

I also don't like braid for topwater because it always has a tendency to wrap on the guides when aggressively working the topwater lure,,,

Again my opinion and no offense to anyone who uses it more than me.:Cool:

I love braid when trolling for barracuda and using really expensive lures:Embarrassed:

bsp
10-29-2009, 08:09 PM
braid for dropshotting isn't good. You really want the line to sink bro... it's really just my opinion, and because no stretch doesn't mean it's sensitive; It really holds the tension on the leader and not the line itself,,,:Envious:

I also don't like braid for topwater because it always has a tendency to wrap on the guides when aggressively working the topwater lure,,,

Again my opinion and no offense to anyone who uses it more than me.:Cool:

I love braid when trolling for barracuda and using really expensive lures:Embarrassed:

I've had the exact opposite experience with the dropshot, and with topwaters. I can make lunker punkers twitch like crazy with braid, and no braid around my guides.

Weird, but like you said it's just opinion and as long as you catch fish who cares. :Smile:

GeordyBass
10-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Weird, but like you said it's just opinion and as long as you catch fish who cares. :Smile:
Words well spoken!!!:Envious::Envious::Envious:

Fire Ball
11-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I was at Sport Chalet today and felt the the Mojo Bass rod and love its action and feel. How do you hold it, since it doesn't have the grip up in front of the reel seat? Are you supposed to hold the blank or have 2 fingers in front of the reel and then 2 fingers behind it? Won't that reduce sensitivity? I usually hold all my rods by the front grip. I used to hold it with 2 fingers in front of the reel and 2 behind, but I found it more comfortable to just have all my fingers on the front grip.

EDIT: I just watched a video and the guy was using a Mojo Bass rod and he had his hand right in front of the shank that attaches the reel to the rod, I think. That is probably the best way.

Fire Ball
11-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I ended up getting a St Croix Mojo Bass rod and then Shimano Sedona reel! It seems like an awesome setup, but I don't want to take the tags off the rod yet because I don't know if I will be able to fit a 1 piece rod in my friend's car! Any tips for fitting it in?

Kevman
11-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Stick the tip out the rolled-down window, out the open sunroof, or put it with the butt on the rear deck and the tip across the underside of the roof, bending slightly to follow the curve of the windshield if necessary.

All those methods are tried and tested! LOL. Just be careful opening the door if you've got the tip out the window.

Kev

Fire Ball
11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Stick the tip out the rolled-down window, out the open sunroof, or put it with the butt on the rear deck and the tip across the underside of the roof, bending slightly to follow the curve of the windshield if necessary.

All those methods are tried and tested! LOL. Just be careful opening the door if you've got the tip out the window.

Kev

I think I am going to put one end in the front seat on the ground and then the tip up in the air in the back seat. If I can't do that, I am going to put it in the back and then just bend the tip along the roof as little as I can or try something else. I don't want to stick it out the window, lol.

Socal Bassman
11-03-2009, 10:31 PM
I ended up getting a St Croix Mojo Bass rod and then Shimano Sedona reel! It seems like an awesome setup, but I don't want to take the tags off the rod yet because I don't know if I will be able to fit a 1 piece rod in my friend's car! Any tips for fitting it in?

What kind of car does your friend have?

Fire Ball
11-03-2009, 10:57 PM
What kind of car does your friend have?

Toyota Corolla. I just spooled the Seaguar line on the reel. I could afford it, so I decided to go with the Seaguar!

GeordyBass
11-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Toyota Corolla. I just spooled the Seaguar line on the reel. I could afford it, so I decided to go with the Seaguar!

I've fit my 7'6" rods in my sister's Yaris bro..... My buddy has a nissan sentra and his 8' swimbait rod fits in there! Just lay the butt of the rod all the way in the front on the passenger seat and make it go all the way to the rear windshield....you'll figure something out.... I'm sure the rod is not over 7'....

Fire Ball
11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I've fit my 7'6" rods in my sister's Yaris bro..... My buddy has a nissan sentra and his 8' swimbait rod fits in there! Just lay the butt of the rod all the way in the front on the passenger seat and make it go all the way to the rear windshield....you'll figure something out.... I'm sure the rod is not over 7'....

It is only 6'9" and it should fit then, if your friend's 8' swimbait rod fit! Lol. I hope I spooled the line right.

Socal Bassman
11-04-2009, 07:58 PM

No prob. I have a Honda Civic and my 6'9" rods fit easily. It's a little tricky getting the 8' swimbait rod in, but it does fit.