PDA

View Full Version : deep sea fishing pointers/tips??

evalrez
10-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi guys, I'm going deep sea fishing for the first time on sunday. I was wondering if you guys had any tips/pointers. My fiance says I might get really sea sick...:Neutral:

Troutman65
10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Some people never get sea sick others get sicker than a dog. Best thing to do for your first time ( This is just I would do . I am not a professonal so do at your own rish ) is go on a half day boat and see if you get sick. If you don't then fine. If you do get sick then you know you need the pills.

The reason I say a half day boat is because your uselly not that far out and come in sooner than the longer trips.

The reason I say do not take the sea sick pills first is because I myself would want to find out if I get sea sickness .

Ricky-Ray
10-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I would go without taking the meds to see if you get sick or not. Looking at this weekend's weather it should be pretty smooth out there. Bring some dramine or bonine with you just in case. They are over the counter meds so you should be able to find them at CVS, Rite Aid, Walmart, Target, etc. Couple of tips since it's your first time going out.

Avoid greasy items, and alcohol. Those can have a major affect on people if they get sea sick. Keep yourself well hydrated, water, gatorade, soda, etc.

If your starting to feel queasy do not go into the galley, the smell of cooking food can make you feel worse. Stay towards the stern of the boat and in the middle, that's generally the most stable part of the boat. Keep your eye on the horizon so that your inner ear's equillibrium can rebalance itself and get plenty of fresh air.

IMO if it feels like your gonna let one fly, let it. Sometimes you just need to let it out and then you'll feel ok after that. I've done that on several occasions where it was a little rough in the morning going out and I was feeling queasy and I just let it hurl. After that I was fine the rest of the day.

If I remember correctly your doing the MPLA thing at Davey's Locker this weekend so it's a half day trip. 15-20# setup should be just fine. Bring some size 1, 1/0, 2/0 hooks with you and some torpedo sinkers from 2oz -8oz and some sliding egg sinkers from 1/4oz to 1/2oz and you should be fine. Most likely you'll either be flylining the bait (just hook only little to no weight) if there's a surface action or you'll be dropper looping to the bottom. If you've never done a dropper loop before take a look at this, http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com. Having a chrome krocodile spoon or a blue/white Tady or Sala's surface iron couldn't hurt also. If the bonito show up on the surface you can have a blast catching them on the iron.

Good luck and have fun out there. Wish I could get out there this weekend.

Cangler
10-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Hope you have fun , its really become my prefered way of fishing
these last few years ...

Howling Mad Murdock
10-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Just think of it as chum, but for free!

HEMAN
10-16-2009, 04:51 PM
i'd take a bonine or dramamine just in case.. you never know.. dont want to get sick your virgin run out... make sure you take it about an hour before you get on the water

ghetto dad
10-16-2009, 06:08 PM
First of all...never, under any circumstances, call it "Deep sea fishing" :ROFL:

All the above is cool...just do NOT sit in the galley..that will destroy u if there is a possibility of you getting sea sick...also, do NOT think about it!! If you keep worrying about it, then you might get sick! Have fun!

GD

That Dang Guy
10-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Go and have fun. Don't worry too much about the gear. If you're headed to the island, your main tactic will be live baiting. Theres some finesse too it, but keep it simple. Find a hot looking bait. If you can grab it on the first try, it's not the bait you want. Hold it firmly with three fingers around the head. Avoid touching the scales and hook him in the clear nose. Toss him out there and keep the line in front of your face. Keep good contact with the bait (tension) but not too much to stop him from swimming away. When you feel a thud and the bait swimming particularily fast...let him eat for a 2-3 count and then swing at it.

Talk to the deckhand and ask him how your rig should be. If you don't know how to tie it, have him show it to you. It'll either be a dropper loop or livebait with no/minimal weight.

If you can keep out of tangles (keep your line directly in front of you) you'll catch some fish and have a good time.

Oh. And go ahead and take the pills. See how you do with them. If you don't have any issues, you might be able to forgo them for the next trip.

samgann93
10-16-2009, 10:37 PM
take bonine. i personally get drowsie with dramamine.

Troutman65
10-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Some people say eating some Fresh Ginger root helps get rid of the sea sickness.

Just Have fun.:Big Grin:

Ricky-Ray
10-17-2009, 03:30 AM
First of all...never, under any circumstances, call it "Deep sea fishing" :ROFL:

GD

How about if I call it fishing the BIG pond???? :Envious: