PDA

View Full Version : Casting crankbaits

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
10-15-2009, 09:11 PM
To all,
Of the crankbaits I buy, most of them are 1/4 oz.
My problem is casting far with a baitcaster reel and 7 foot MED rod. I, usually, have to cast those crankbaits with a spinning outfit to get distance but, the accuracy is bad.

My question is, Am I doing something wrong? Do some of you have this problem? Is it because of a cheap low profile baitcaster (Cabelas Fish Eagle Tournament II)? The rod is called out for 1/4-5/8oz lures. Anything heavier (3/8oz-3/4oz) is not a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

bassassassin
10-15-2009, 10:37 PM
sound like u have to heavy of line try using ten pound with those smaller crankbaits -or- u might not have the brakes adjusted right on the reel try tinkering with the backlash control until u can push down the buton on your reel and have your fing off the spool and the crankbait falls at a slow rate without backlashing, also i dont know the exact reel u are talking about but open it up and if it has syntrifical brakes try turning some on and off until u get the reel tuned in perfect for your crankbait

hope this helps

Socal Bassman
10-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Like bassassassin said, try using 10lb. test, if it's not spooled on already. A 7' Med. action rod is good for those smaller cranks. I'm not familiar with your particular reel so I can't comment on it. Looking at Cabela's site though, it says that your reel has the Magforce cast control system. Which are magnetic brakes used in Daiwa's. Try setting the dial to "3" or "4" and tinker with the cast control knob (on the handle side) as what has been stated before.

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks Guys,
I'll try those ideas.
Always had trouble casting those small baits. I had to loft it out there and when I did that, I didn't, really, have any control on were it went might as well of used a spinning outfit.

Thanks again

Mike