PDA

View Full Version : Lefty offshore reel??

HelloBendo420
10-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm looking to buy a used reel like the torium 20 or calcutta 700 series.

Do they come left handed? does it make a difference when reeling up bigger fish??

any recommendations will be greatly appreciated

bsp
10-15-2009, 08:47 PM
There isn't a lefty Torium or Calcutta 700, but there is a lefty Calcutta 400. I know that there are lefty Avets, and I think there may be lefty Accurates but am not sure.

It's personal preference mostly. I know Sansou uses lefty reels for offshore fishing, so he can offer a lot more detailed insight.

The closest I have is a lefty Curado 300D, and that thing is great for swimbaits.

steelhead
10-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Accurates do make lefty reels because I have one. One thing I will add is I've never figured out why with spinners if you are right handed you are cranking with yoru left but with conventional it's the other way around. I do own quite a bit of the "right" handed conventionals but it doesn't feel right to me. One thing I will say is fisherman have been conditioned for so long to accept this paradox that they eventually adapt to it. One of the advantanges I see would be in reselling the reel, the right handed will have ore potential buyers. As for which is better, all things being equal, two of the same reels will perform the same regardless of whether it's left or right handed.

HelloBendo420
10-17-2009, 12:48 AM
thanks fellas..

troutdog
10-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Accurates do make lefty reels because I have one. One thing I will add is I've never figured out why with spinners if you are right handed you are cranking with your left but with conventional it's the other way around. I do own quite a bit of the "right" handed conventionals but it doesn't feel right to me. One thing I will say is fisherman have been conditioned for so long to accept this paradox that they eventually adapt to it. One of the advantanges I see would be in reselling the reel, the right handed will have ore potential buyers. As for which is better, all things being equal, two of the same reels will perform the same regardless of whether it's left or right handed.

THANK YOU.

I crank with my right on my spinning reels and my buddys give me carp about it all the time, yet none of them can give me a solid explanation as to why...I have heard lame responses like "cause the guides face different directions", but I think it is becuase they come out of the box that way and have becomed conditioned (like lab rats) as you had mentioned. :LOL:

TD

Gossamer
10-17-2009, 11:40 AM
I have a lefty avet 2 speed that I want to sell. PM me if you want me to send you pics.